Super 3i vs Super 3 High Output

PeterKK

Super 3i vs Super 3 High Output
« on: 27 Oct 2023, 08:58 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with these speakers? Apart from reinforcing the low-end would the Super 3 High Output be able to “fill” a bigger room than the Super 3i (given that size-wise they are not that much bigger)? Is their sound fuller (meaning the instruments feeling more substantial)? Can I just achieve the same effect by using a subwoofer? Thanks!

RDavidson

Re: Super 3i vs Super 3 High Output
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2023, 09:03 pm »
No, because both speakers use the same drivers. If want to move more air, you need more moving surface area, i.e. driver size.

A caveat would be if you can high pass the 3’s at 80hz or 100hz or so, then run all bass to a subwoofer, I’d say you’d have no problem filling a bigger room with sound. There are now nice integrated amp options with highpass / lowpass functionality in them, exactly for that purpose.

PeterKK

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2023, 09:11 pm »
Thanks for your answer! No the HO version has 2 drivers instead of 1 (although the 2nd driver doesn’t work full range but only on low frequencies up to 200hz), I’m wondering whether this helps to create a fuller sound that is easier to fill a room. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2023, 09:37 pm »
What is the size of the room? How far from the speakers is the listening position?

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2023, 11:15 pm »
That’s true. The HO has 2 drivers, which does indeed fill out the mids and bass more, but again, they still won’t really provide a lot more volume or room-filling sound. I’ve owned 3XRS’s, 3HO’s, and still have CAM’s. Like the old saying, there’s no replacement for displacement. I would point you toward speakers with the RS8 driver to ensure “bigger” sound while maintaining much of what makes the small RS5 driver so good. I recommend talking to Louis directly to help you choose what’s best.

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2023, 11:44 pm »
"I recommend talking to Louis directly to help you choose what’s best."

I'll endorse this recommendation.  Louis has shown he accommodates one-off designs that showcase his flexibility.

jmolsberg

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2023, 01:15 pm »
my 3xrs HO play louder in my living room than the SAM - ymmv

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2023, 05:01 pm »
I think we might be getting our wires crossed a bit. Volume is certainly related to SPL’s, but is also related to range. I believe the OP is wondering if not only will the 3HO’s play louder, but will they also sound fuller than the 3i. The 3HO will indeed do a bit of both, but the mention of a “bigger room” is what tells me he should look at the RS8 based designs. Without more details about the room and what the OP desires, I’m merely speculating. Louis is a super nice guy. Give him a call!