Warranty Clarification?

RonN5

Warranty Clarification?
« on: 13 Mar 2024, 04:54 pm »
I’ve noticed that many of the class d amplifiers coming out...whether they are GaN, Purifi, Hypex...whatever generally have a one year warranty...maybe two at the most and never transferable….which to me, doesn’t speak very well of their confidence in the durability of their product.  (Even Pass only has a three year transferable warranty).

Jim Tanner has said that Bryston products are engineered to “last” at least 20 years and hence their confidence in providing a long warranty.  I notice the website mentions nothing about proof of purchase, receipts or transfer ability when it comes to their amplifiers.

I suspect that there are a number of people who buy a preowned product to determine if it is really their cup of tea before they buy new.  I’m hoping Jim will jump onto this thread and provide some clarification as to how the Bryston warranty works for second and third owners of their amplifiers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Warranty Clarification?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2024, 05:09 pm »
Hi Ron

The warranty is transferable if the original owner purchased from an authorized Bryston dealer. 
I usually recommend that the original owner keep the sales tag in the shipping box.

james

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2024, 05:10 pm »
The warranty information on the website says "Bryston analog audio products and loud speakers are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects for twenty (20) years from the original date of manufacture. The warranty includes parts and labour. Speaker warranty is limited to the first time buyer and is non-transferable."

Making an explicit statement that the speaker warranty is not transferable suggests that the warranties on the other products are transferable.

Farther down, the warranty information says "Bryston will honour warranty on products with a date code where the the first two digits (date code format is “yyww”, where “yy” is the two least significant digits of the year and “ww” is the week of the year) is 20 years (inclusive) or less in the past. If no date code is present a serial number will be used to deduce the units age."

This suggests that as long as they can see that the date of manufacture places the item within the warranty period they will fix it under warranty.

https://bryston.com/service-and-warranty/

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2024, 05:44 pm »
Thanks James… and thanks New Zoo… it seems somewhat confusing as the website does not seem to mandate purchase from an authorized dealer in order to have a warranty….and since usually a 2nd or third owner has no way of knowing whether the original seller was authorized the policy seems unclear.

Let me give an example… there are a number of preowned amplifiers offered on USAM, Audiogon and TMR…. mostly by individuals … except The Music Room… so a potential buyer has no way to know if the warranty would still apply?

veloceleste

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2024, 06:03 pm »
Ask the seller if they have and will include with the sale the original or copy of the initial purchase receipt so you can verify the product was purchased from an authorized at the time Bryston dealer.  On the Bryston site there was (and it still may be there) a list of un-authorized resellers that would invalidate the warranty. With the receipt in hand you shouldn’t have to worry about coverage.

RonN5

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2024, 06:40 pm »
Veloceleste… I can see how your suggestion would apply to an amp being sold as new from an unauthorized source….but lots of preowned offerings are multiple years old, may have had a couple prior owners and are not being sold through a dealer….

Is the solution to get the serial number and go directly to Bryston and ask them?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2024, 08:42 pm »
Hi Ron - yes you can send us the serial number.

james

RonN5

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2024, 10:12 pm »
Thanks… your people responded quickly when I messaged them through the Bryston website.

bunkertoy

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2024, 06:31 pm »
I had a very old Bryston 3B a few years ago. I called Bryston, gave them the serial # and they told me it was built in 1983. It was great to find out the exact age. Not sure I can do that with all manufacturers. Anyway it was nice to be able to obtain the info.

Cheers Bryston.