Shooter

Markwatkiss

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #581 on: 30 Jan 2021, 12:46 am »
Fall From Grace

WGH

« Reply #582 on: 20 Mar 2021, 09:57 pm »

Sky Rojo is a fast paced action series with impeccable credentials. The setup is simple: three prostitutes escape from a high-end anything goes whorehouse after seriously injuring their boss and are on the run from his pimps. The pimps instructions are to return them to the boss so he can carve them up.

Needless to say there is dark comedy, nudity, ribald sex, violence and blood along with the tender story of three women bonding while escaping the hardship's they were born into, one woman was sold into prostitution/slavery by her mother.

Sky Rojo was created by Álex Pina with his professional and personal partner Esther Martínez Lobato, who is also one of the writers. Pina and Lobato also created and wrote "Money Heist", the excellent Spanish bank robbery series also on Netflix. Sky Rojo is designed to be colorful with all action all the time:

“We wanted to show a constant third act — all action, all the time,” Martínez Lobato said. “You take away any sequence or dialogue that is not absolutely necessary for the plot and you only use what’s extremely important and fast-paced. It is hectic and completely different from what we’re used to doing, but very stimulating.”

Each episode is 1/2 hour long, like a bag of spicy bar-b-q corn chips it is very, very binge worthy.

NYT Review: Can the Makers of ‘Money Heist’ Mint Another Hit With ‘Sky Rojo’?
Álex Pina is back with another glitzy, over-the-top Spanish thriller for Netflix. This time, he and his creative partner say, the story is even leaner and the excess is even more over-the-top.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/19/arts/television/sky-rojo-money-heist-netflix.html

Streaming on Netflix

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #583 on: 21 Mar 2021, 04:09 am »
Watch the Documentary "My Octopus Teacher".  Stunning cinematography, fabulous story that tugs at your heart.  Everyone I know has watched it multiple times and raves about it.

fsdaron

« Reply #584 on: 21 Mar 2021, 12:17 pm »
+1

nature boy

« Reply #585 on: 23 Mar 2021, 04:50 pm »
Great action packed coverage of F1 racing:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80204890?preventIntent=true

NB

rodge827

« Reply #586 on: 23 Mar 2021, 09:36 pm »
Watch the Documentary "My Octopus Teacher".  Stunning cinematography, fabulous story that tugs at your heart.  Everyone I know has watched it multiple times and raves about it.

Lady Rodge and I want to thank you for this recommendation  :thumb:

An all around must see!!

+2

sounddog

« Reply #587 on: 24 Mar 2021, 02:30 am »
Just finished watching The Octopus Teacher. Add me to the list of people raving about it!

MttBsh

« Reply #588 on: 24 Mar 2021, 04:46 am »
As a kid I watched 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and became terrified of Octopuses (that's right, not octopie). But I've come to realize what beautiful, mysterious, highly intelligent and even playful creatures they are. My wife and I watched My Octopus Teacher last night and I loved how over time the octopus came to trust and then become an affectionate friend of the diver. I also very much appreciated the insight of the diver who perceived the whole ocean ecosystem as being "1000 times more awake and intelligent" than he is. Our planet is populated by an incomprehensively complex interconnected network of intelligent life - artistry really - of which we and Octopuses are a tiny but vital part. Wonderful documentary.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #589 on: 12 Jun 2021, 03:19 am »
Sweet Tooth
Based on a comic, originally intended for Hulu, I've only watched two episodes as of this posting.  I had to take an emotional break for a half hour after the first episode to recover my equalibrium.  Finishing the second installment I need another.  Perhaps because I have the flu like summer cold that's epidemic, or I'm more emotional in my elder years, but I've never been affected by any TV series like this before.  It's trending #1 on Netflix now and I see why.  Of course a silly comic book premise, it's so well done that you really suspend disbelief in the impossibility, I found myself hollering NO as Dog almost sufferers a terrible fate.  The casting is superb, the plot moves briskly, the young star is engaging, the cinematography splendid, filmed in New Zealand.  The Downey's have done fine work here.  As you might gather I'm quite taken with this series.  Anyone else?

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #590 on: 13 Jun 2021, 03:35 pm »
Dirty John is worth a watch.

2 seasons, completely different characters for each, very well done.

Folsom

« Reply #591 on: 13 Jun 2021, 05:30 pm »
Sweet Tooth
Based on a comic, originally intended for Hulu, I've only watched two episodes as of this posting.  I had to take an emotional break for a half hour after the first episode to recover my equalibrium.  Finishing the second installment I need another.  Perhaps because I have the flu like summer cold that's epidemic, or I'm more emotional in my elder years, but I've never been affected by any TV series like this before.  It's trending #1 on Netflix now and I see why.  Of course a silly comic book premise, it's so well done that you really suspend disbelief in the impossibility, I found myself hollering NO as Dog almost sufferers a terrible fate.  The casting is superb, the plot moves briskly, the young star is engaging, the cinematography splendid, filmed in New Zealand.  The Downey's have done fine work here.  As you might gather I'm quite taken with this series.  Anyone else?

I watched them all. My complaint is that the season is short AF.

Awhile back I read the comics and I don't recall all of it. I know the TV show is quite a bit different. From what I recall Gus in the comic is really mixed with a dear... he's basically half brain dead.

twitch54

« Reply #592 on: 13 Jun 2021, 08:50 pm »
Kominsky Method - just finished season 3

WGH

« Reply #593 on: 27 Jun 2021, 09:23 pm »

The Ice Road starring Liam Neeson is goofy fun. With overloaded big rigs racing on melting ice roads and a gruff Liam punching his way to the end, what's not to like?

This is one movie you shouldn't watch alone. Gather a few friends and some beer because you all will want to laugh at the action and make snide comments. The Ice Road reminded me of the Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner cartoons although I doubt that is the comparison the director intended.

Still scowling, Liam is really good at it

A solid B-movie only because Liam Neeson is always watchable.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_ice_road

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #594 on: 27 Jun 2021, 10:10 pm »
Amazon Prime - Bosch. Great LA detective series. Excellent jazz LP selections on a nice stereo system as well.

NB

sunnydaze

« Reply #595 on: 27 Jun 2021, 11:50 pm »
Amazon Prime - Bosch. Great LA detective series. Excellent jazz LP selections on a nice stereo system as well.

NB

Just finished season 7.  A bit disappointed, don't think it's as good as previous seasons.

His amp is McIntosh 240, speakers are Ohm.  Haven't been able to ID the turntable and preamp.     :scratch:

sunnydaze

« Reply #596 on: 28 Jun 2021, 05:07 am »
"Bosch is a jazz enthusiast and frequently plays vinyl records through vintage audio equipment. In several episodes in the series, a McIntosh MX110 tuner/pre-amplifier, McIntosh MC240 power amplifier, Marantz 6300 turntable, and Ohm Walsh 4 speakers can be seen."   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Bosch

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #597 on: 28 Jun 2021, 11:26 am »

NB

I'll have to give this one another try.  I watched one of two episodes and just didn't go back.  Good writing and acting, well cast, I should love this series, but it didn't grab me enough to hit play again.  It deserves another chance.

Craig B

« Reply #598 on: 28 Jun 2021, 11:43 am »
I don't know if it's been mentioned in the 30 pages of this thread, but my wife and I are really enjoying "Last Tango in Halifax." Although all the characters fail to understand when to keep their mouths shut about events in their distant and recent past, it's fun, and it's always pure joy to watch Derek Jacobi act. He is one of the absolute greats.

BobM

« Reply #599 on: 28 Jun 2021, 12:30 pm »
Was binging Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon Prime last night. Couldn;t stop watching.