Candela vs Schiit Freya

Delta77

Re: Candela vs Schiit Freya
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug 2017, 02:11 pm »
My Odyssey gear is new this year 4/2017..
Candela SE / Stratos extreme, 850 trans, Symphonic Caps on board
For the $$$ Klaus asked ... I have no complaints

I agree in the fact these products were made to work in unison,,
I know it doesn't matter in This Game (audio) but I think they Look Nice , makes a Uniform look to my Rack ? ,.. ah ,  I mean TV cabinet...

brad1138

• Don't forget to dance.... Don't forget to smile.
« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2021, 04:17 am »
I tried a SEGA preamp, it was okay ,but not even close to what the Candela does (TUBE MAGIC ).

I had a Freya, and was unimpressed with the Tube portion. I liked the passive mode best.

Can you elaborate on the Candela?

Thanks

a8base

« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2021, 12:51 pm »
Any one every use the Candela with Magneplanar speakers?

lazydays

« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2021, 04:19 am »
I'm a tube guy! I own the Candela, plus a Conrad Johnson and a Quicksilver. Yet trust me I have endured the pain of owning more than a couple solid state preamps.
From what I see the Freya is something you love or something you loath. No in between. On the otherhand the Candela isn't perfect either! Not enough inputs, no tape loop, otherwise it's just fine.

I use the glass ceiling Stratos mono blocs. They act like they were made for each other from the start. I've played them thru Tannoy, Solioquey (monitors), Meadowlark hot rods, and even a junky pair of Polks. The combo makes a bad speaker seriously perk up, and makes a serious monitor smack you in the face! I usually listen to them playing Lorelies. Not my favorite speakers for sure, but they are OK. Should have kept the Meadowlarks! I use a Wright tube phono stage, and like it a lot. Yet it's on it's last leg. Always hoped that Odyssey would do a tube phono stage, but guess not. I also have an AVA something or another, and it seems a little light for me (excellent build quality), and have used a couple others as well. My next one is going to be a Darlington if he'll build it the way I want!

Detail wise, it's really hard to beat the Candela. My acid test is playing acoustic piano, and this it does as well as any preamp I've listened to. Sound stage is fairly large, but you really notice the depth. Have never heard anything play the acoustic double bass as well period. My problem is that I like two digital devices, plus two analog devices with a music streamer knocking at the front door. I'd like six inputs and a tape loop (gotta play those boot legs sometime). I really wish it had a dedicated phono circut isolated on it's own (even though it's a true line stage).

What you'll get with the combo: a very liquid sounding system. The amps are tube like in their sound alone, and then you add a serious tube preamp. Almost magic. Even stuff I hate sounds good.
gary