Cherry Amp Repairs?

Nsm1979

Cherry Amp Repairs?
« on: 19 Feb 2022, 04:13 am »
Anyone have suggestions on where to go to get an early version of the King inline maraschino mono amps repaired?

newzooreview

Re: Cherry Amp Repairs?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2022, 03:41 pm »
Not to state the obvious, but has the manufacturer declined to help? Support@DigitalAmp.com

Apologies. I checked the website (which looks to be running as usual) but had not heard the sad news.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2022, 04:06 pm »
Not to state the obvious, but has the manufacturer declined to help? Support@DigitalAmp.com

Might want to take a look here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179605.0

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2022, 04:34 pm »
You might talk to Leo… here….

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/starkrimson

Leo worked with Tommy in the electronics field, was a friend of Tommy’s and used some of his designs… he may be able to help.. either way, please post back here and let us know.

csmgolf

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2022, 01:55 pm »
I would be interested to know where to get DAC amps repaired as well. Last fall, I purchased a pair of 3 King Cherry amps for vertically tri-amping a speaker that was being built for me. I did not have a way to test the amps during the wait time, as my other system is fully active with built in Hypex amps. My new speakers finally arrived this past Friday and I hooked everything up. One of the amps is having an issue. It will play for 10 minutes or so, then completely shut off for about 10 seconds, then will come back on. Obviously disappointing, and I would like to get it fixed. I do have other amps and configurations I can use, so it is not keeping me from listening. Sadly, Tommy is gone and I would like to find someone that can do the repair. It may be something simple, but I am not sure. I do hear some switching in the amp so I am wondering if it has something to do with the automatic idle used. Just guessing.

Nsm1979

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2022, 07:30 pm »
I reached out to Leo at Orchard Audio.  He acknowledged working with Tommy in the past.  He stated that he had reached out to the family offering to help with leftover product, but did not receive a reply.  Leo would need access to the details of how Tommy’s products were constructed to enable any kind of repairs to be performed.

Possibly someone close to Tommy’s family can connect them with Leo.  Seems a shame to have Tommy’s talent and hard work just vanish. 

RonN5

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2022, 08:14 pm »
Let alone being overwhelmed by Tommy’s passing, It is likely that his kids don’t know that there is value to Tommy business and designs… nor what to do next. They probably need some help and guidance in this area. And I’m sure they have a lot on their plates way more important than this.

Other than maybe the cherryamp moderator, mfsoa, I’m not sure anyone here knew tommy or his family on a personal level. Maybe now that a few months have passed, Mike might feel he could reach out to them.

I’ve talked to Leo and if Tommy’s family were interested, there might be a way for Cherryamp to continue… but it would take someone putting everyone together and then working through the details.

Hopefully it can be done.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2022, 09:23 pm »
Leo is certainly the right guy, if both are willing. I pray for Tommy's family, as it's a tough road for sure. The product line still has significant value, at least for a time, so hopefully they can make something happen that is best for all concerned.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2022, 12:38 am »
I reached out to Leo at Orchard Audio.  He acknowledged working with Tommy in the past.  He stated that he had reached out to the family offering to help with leftover product, but did not receive a reply.  Leo would need access to the details of how Tommy’s products were constructed to enable any kind of repairs to be performed.

Possibly someone close to Tommy’s family can connect them with Leo.  Seems a shame to have Tommy’s talent and hard work just vanish.

You might talk to Leo… here….

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/starkrimson

Leo worked with Tommy in the electronics field, was a friend of Tommy’s and used some of his designs… he may be able to help.. either way, please post back here and let us know.

Leo is certainly the right guy, if both are willing. I pray for Tommy's family, as it's a tough road for sure. The product line still has significant value, at least for a time, so hopefully they can make something happen that is best for all concerned.

Hi everybody,

I would love to help. The situation is such that his family has to allow me access to Digital Amp Co's information. I have reached out to them a few times offering my support and to see if there is someway I can help with the Tom's business.

If somebody needs help with a DAC DAC, I can help there as I am the designer of that product.

As for the amps, I don't know what Tom did there and do no have any information on them.

Regards;
Leo

LostInPA

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2022, 01:07 am »
Hi Leo,

Tommy's passing certainly took me by surprise.   I met him through my membership in The New Jersey Audio Society, and did purchase some of his products.

I am one of the people who paid upfront for the DAC DAC 3 Kickstarter project, which has been in long delays due to the unavailability of certain parts.   This is certainly not a large amount of money in the audio world, and I would have no problem calling that a writeoff for the sake of Tommy's family.   Perhaps you could approach Tommy's family about this  item and/or the remaining earlier models of the DAC DAC that might still be in the production loop.   I would also have no problem with additional funds to you for this work.   I am not acquainted with any others who contributed to the Kickstarter project, and can not speak to their desires.

Thanks,

Steve

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2022, 01:41 am »
LostInPA, +1.  I put 1000 dollars in the Kickstarter project.  I did this without expecting anything in return, cept maybe a T shirt.  I had no regrets then as now.  With the heartbreaking loss of Tommy, I could care less about the money.  I had the extra money, loved his amps.  And like a few others, one of my Maraschinos failed-as to fault, again it doesn't matter, just would like it repaired.  I understand Leo's reluctance to attempt repairs without a schematic at minimum.  Hopefully as time goes on the family can help resolve the situation.  Hopefully the family is working with a grief counsellor.

MttBsh

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2022, 03:13 am »
I have what may be a very naiive suggestion: every major city has shops that repair electronic equipment including audio gear. Sure, Tommy's designs are highly specialized and certain repairs may not be able to be done without schematics. On the other hand, if something basic has failed isn't it possible that someone with a good knowledge of amps can fix it? As an example, I'm having an issue with the power switch on my Maraschino STM power supply, it's likely my local electronics guy replace the switch. Of course OEM repair is ideal but when that's not an option I would think it would be worth taking Tommy's gear to a reputable repair shop. His amps are so damned good that I can't imagine trying to replace them with something else without first searching high and low for someone who can fix them.

rhale64l7

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2022, 12:23 am »
I am hoping that someone can repair these beautiful sounding amps. I just bought a broken pair of King Maraschino's. I also have 15 channels of Cherry Amps now. I am going to be active triamping my diy speakers. They will have all King Maraschino's. I know way overkill. I couldn't find the Maraschino amps with the 45 volt supplies used. So I just went for the gusto. Oh well you only live once.

DRHamp

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2022, 11:51 pm »
I also was looking for a repair for one of my Golden Cherry monoblocks ( a problem caused by my own stupid mistake).  I communicated with Tommy just weeks prior to his passing and he advised me to send the amp in to him for repair.  I sent the amp in and the timing couldn't have been worse.  The amp was received and signed for by Tommy ..... so I have a Golden Cherry monoblock up there somewhere.  If I could just get it back, I would attempt the repair myself even though I'm no technician.
I also purchased a dac dac 3 during the kickstarter campaign -- it's not likely that anything will come of that and I accept that.
I had several personal discussions with Tommy and admired and respected him a great deal and was more than saddened by his untimely passing. 

pompon

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2022, 10:29 pm »
They still in activity ?

GregC

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2022, 09:42 pm »
It would be great if Leo could take over the line of Cherry amps or at least be able to service them. 

I am a long time owner of the Marachino line of amps.  One thing I can suggest to help avoid shorting them out is use speaker cables with banana connectors that are less likely to come loose and bridge between the +/- terminals.   

bobh123

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2022, 02:39 am »
So sorry to hear of Tommy's passing.  He was so helpful when I was considering purchase of new amps, and when I had a failure.

I have a 4-Cherry with one dead card.  Seems that one pair of output FET's is shorted.  Does anyone now the manufacturer and part # of those devices??  Or does anyone have a dead card which is unlikely to have blown output FET's?

Thx, Bob

ealtan

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2022, 10:46 am »
Very sorry to see Tommy's passing. Rip... I noticed when my Cherry STM broke, and wrote to Tommy, with no replies then searched what's happening... Now discovering this... I'm without words. I'm searching what to do with my STM. I just happened to take XLR out when it was on... And now there is repeating noise coming from power supply like a car starting engine... But it doesn't work. May be it's just a fuse, i don't know. Either way I'm thinking to sell my Cherry STM (60v). If someone interested, you can write me...

morganc

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2022, 04:42 pm »
Very sorry to see Tommy's passing. Rip... I noticed when my Cherry STM broke, and wrote to Tommy, with no replies then searched what's happening... Now discovering this... I'm without words. I'm searching what to do with my STM. I just happened to take XLR out when it was on... And now there is repeating noise coming from power supply like a car starting engine... But it doesn't work. May be it's just a fuse, i don't know. Either way I'm thinking to sell my Cherry STM (60v). If someone interested, you can write me...

I had an issue with mine as well years ago when the two speaker cables hit and shorted.  Tommy had to repair it and he told me there were no fuses. I'm sure there is someone somewhere who can repair these but I'm not sure whom.  I emailed Tommys friend who posted on this board after his passing and he didn't know anyone. 

RonN5

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2022, 05:31 pm »
Many, many years ago...long before I bought a 2Cherry, I was concerned about shorting whenever the amps I owned had both connections near each other, which is often the case....so, I cut a piece of plastic tubing 2" long to separate the Red and Black connections...and slit it end to end so that it would be easy on easy off....this method has worked perfectly.

Here is a picture taken of the rear of my 2Cherry.  You can see the tubing in the photo on the right hand side of the amp on the table.  One piece of tubing to insulate the black from red on the right side and another piece of tubing to insulate the black from red on the right side. 

Simple solution and very inexpensive.