RIP Tommy

RonN5

Re: RIP Tommy
« Reply #80 on: 30 Dec 2021, 11:52 am »
@mfsoa    Mike

Thank you for providing a little more insight for all of us into Tommy....the person.  His designs/products were truly special.  One question for you....was the company Tommy and only Tommy or did he have employees helping him build the products that he designed?

mfsoa

« Reply #81 on: 3 Jan 2022, 05:54 pm »
Hi Ron,

As his son said at the funeral service, it was really just Tommy. On and off I think he had some help but it was largely a 1 man show. Certainly the industrial design, circuit design, dealing w/ the various places that assembled the boards and made the chassis, ordering the mucho expensive transformers etc., the customer service   - All Tommy (except for the sorbothane footers on the bases of the Maraschinos - my idea!!).

You guys don't know the number of times I heard "I was a up all night so I could get this XXX product out to this guy I've been talking to..."  The reason he was up all night was often because his kids needed him during "normal business hours"

I can tell you that as far as I know he was selling all of his gear for as little as he could - There was never the slightest hint of "He-he, ya' know what I really pay for each board...".

For years we were discussing subwoofers - He wanted a ~1 cubic foot enclosure from billet aluminum. Oh man, what could have been.

I know it's corny to say that noone is gone if we talk about them or take some other step to remember them, but if this can ever be so it surely is when we keep enjoying music through Tommy's gear.

-Mike

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #82 on: 3 Jan 2022, 06:34 pm »
Any of you Tommy friends and custumers want facilitate this Circle?
Please apply here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179862.0

mfsoa

« Reply #83 on: 11 Jan 2022, 02:30 am »
Tommy loved the number 3.

He loved the particular mathematical things that 3-ness can bring.

That is the root of his "AmpDesigner333" handle here!  I always told him that he was not the 333rd best amp designer around :lol:

-Mike

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #84 on: 11 Jan 2022, 02:54 am »
I like 12 that sum 3, the 12 apostles, the 12 hours, the 12 months, the perfect number.

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #85 on: 15 Jan 2022, 11:58 pm »
OMG in total shock hearing this very sad news. Was checking in to see what might be new after the Holidays and found this, so sad. R.I.P Tommy Sir.

Have Tommys MEGAschino upgraded to what he called a 2.5 version, loaded as far as it could go. The MK-3 was almost finished, or might have been, not sure. Also running his 1st DACDAC - TL version.

Have been with Tommy since 2012 enjoying his products, the man shall be sorely missed.

RJH65

« Reply #86 on: 21 Jan 2022, 04:47 am »
So sad to hear this! I have (5) Golden Cherry monoblock amps I want to get rid of that I purchased in 2018 and have been trying to get a hold of Tommy and could not figure out why he hadn't responded yet because he was a PROMPT guy and a classy act so sorry to hear! Is this the best place to sell these?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 21 Jan 2022, 05:02 am »

Zynec

« Reply #88 on: 16 May 2022, 03:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

I haven't been in the scene for quite a few years, and recently have been downsizing a lot of things in my life, including selling off most of my audio gear.  I came back to the DAC circle to sell my Cherry when I saw this posting - absolutely gutted!  Tommy was a class act, and it was obvious he tried to pass on most of the 'bang' out of the 'bang for buck' to his customers.  Was also really cool that he was so innovative with his designs, especially in the early class D era where the "conventional wisdom" was that class D could only do bass.

RIP Tommy!

Geworthomd

« Reply #89 on: 17 May 2022, 04:29 pm »
RIP. I hope that his company will continue. I wish I owned one of his amplifiers.  They are getting harder to find on the market. That shows you how good of an engineer he was. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know.  Piece of nostalgia