BDP's and ROON - can we configure the Digital Player as ROON CORE?

TJ-Sully

Apologies if this has been asked previously.
And I suppose, it's a question for Chris R.

Can we improve SQ using Roon by designating the BDP as a "Roon Core", rather than end point or player? Is this even possible?

If not, would using Roon Nucleus to run Roon, and stream to the BDP offer improvements in SQ?

any other suggestions Chris? or anyone....?

much thanks,
TJ

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
We are exploring the idea of giving the BDP-3 roon core capability, but we need to overhaul a significant amount of the base linux system before we can attempt this which we have finally started.  With that said don't expect this functionality any time soon, but I do hope to bring it to BDP-3's this year.  In the mean time you can try to remove and optimize Roon and I believe the Roon forums have several great threads on this already.  If you haven't already you should consider disabling any kind of room correction and DSP features.  Although Roon says it shouldn't matter you may wish to investigate possible network bottlenecks, like if any connection between the BDP and the Roon Core is wireless; if possible try a wired connection.

Hope this helps,

Chris

zoom25

That's great news!

TJ-Sully

great info - thanks a ton Chris.   ROON Core in the BDP's would be AWESOME.   happy to hear it's on the horizon. maybe i'll wait before making a drastic move to get an Nucleus or other roon core device!   thanks again Chris
TJ

TJ-Sully

We are exploring the idea of giving the BDP-3 roon core capability, but we need to overhaul a significant amount of the base linux system before we can attempt this which we have finally started.  With that said don't expect this functionality any time soon, but I do hope to bring it to BDP-3's this year.  In the mean time you can try to remove and optimize Roon and I believe the Roon forums have several great threads on this already.  If you haven't already you should consider disabling any kind of room correction and DSP features.  Although Roon says it shouldn't matter you may wish to investigate possible network bottlenecks, like if any connection between the BDP and the Roon Core is wireless; if possible try a wired connection.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hey Chris, any updates on Roon Core installed inside a BDP? Is it still in the cards?

cheers, TJ

schmidtmike76

Exciting news

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com

Hey Chris, any updates on Roon Core installed inside a BDP? Is it still in the cards?

cheers, TJ

Yah I’m getting together with management end of the month to hammer out the details of nutty narwhal and I believe it’s a feature everyone is behind.  Keep in mind your music library would likely need to be sub 10,000 songs, for it to behave as expected (not slow).  I’ve started working in the firmware so we might start seeing a beta program this fall perhaps.  I think it’s going to be installed via USB thumb drive, so you’ll likely need a small thumb drive to install the new firmware, but it should also make it easy to go back to manic moose if you want.

Chris

Chris

vonnie123

That would be a really great feature, but ultimately, will it sound better than MPD?  IMO, Roon RAAT still lags behind MPD when it comes to actual sound quality.

TJ-Sully

Yah I’m getting together with management end of the month to hammer out the details of nutty narwhal and I believe it’s a feature everyone is behind.  Keep in mind your music library would likely need to be sub 10,000 songs, for it to behave as expected (not slow).  I’ve started working in the firmware so we might start seeing a beta program this fall perhaps.  I think it’s going to be installed via USB thumb drive, so you’ll likely need a small thumb drive to install the new firmware, but it should also make it easy to go back to manic moose if you want.

Chris

Awesome news Chris!  If you need a beta-tester....I'm in!
Will it work with a BDP-1?

TJ