Tortuga Audio is Moving to Bend, Oregon

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Tortuga Audio is Moving to Bend, Oregon
« on: 9 Jun 2023, 03:19 pm »
Hi All,

After much discussion and consideration, I've made the decision to relocate from Southwest Florida to Bend, Oregon. Bend is located in central Oregon on the eastern edge of the Cascade Mountain Range where the pine forests soon give way to the scrubby high desert (3600 feet) as you move east. Bend is approximately a 3.5 hour drive to the Pacific coast and roughly the same to Portland.

While the exact timing of this move hasn't been nailed down, I expect to stand down Tortuga Audio operations around mid-July (about a month from now), in order to focus solely on preparations, packing, and relocation which I'm guessing will happen in the August/September timeframe. Once I'm established in Oregon, I intend to stand Tortuga Audio back up and carry on from there.

The primary reason for the move is simply to be closer to family.

More on the move as it unfolds.

Cheers,
Morten

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: Tortuga Audio is Moving to Bend, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2023, 03:24 pm »
Where the heck are you gonna sail?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2023, 03:28 pm »
Where the heck are you gonna sail?

Probably hang up my sails in exchange for a paddle. The Deschutes River runs through the town/area and my son-in-law is a semi-pro whitewater rafting guide.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2023, 04:22 pm »
I was very impressed by Bend when I spent a few days there a long time ago. The Deschute river goes right through town - great for fishing! and the Bachelor mountain ski area is a short ride up into the mountains. A vibrant & lovely town as I recall. Good luck with the move and let us know how you like it!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2023, 04:24 pm »
Good choice of location. Bend is 2.5 hours east of my location. Lots of beavers in my location.  :wink:

Michael

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2023, 07:44 pm »
Good luck with the move Morten. No small feat going cross country. You'll be trading weather big time. Humidity will be much better, no hurricanes, of course you get volcanoes & earthquakes in exchange. The odds are much more in your favor in that regard though. In 40 years in the PNW I've only experienced 1 noticeable eruption & 1 quake. Enjoy being close to the family, and don't forget to pack the warm clothes.

dynaflo

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2023, 08:02 pm »
Probably hang up my sails in exchange for a paddle. The Deschutes River runs through the town/area and my son-in-law is a semi-pro whitewater rafting guide.
Sailing meca for windsurfing, foiling, kiting. The Columbia River Gorge.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2023, 08:22 pm »
Good luck with the move Morten. No small feat going cross country. You'll be trading weather big time. Humidity will be much better, no hurricanes, of course you get volcanoes & earthquakes in exchange. The odds are much more in your favor in that regard though. In 40 years in the PNW I've only experienced 1 noticeable eruption & 1 quake. Enjoy being close to the family, and don't forget to pack the warm clothes.

Yeah, I know I'll never again achieve my all-time record of wearing nothing but cargo shorts, t-shirts and flip-flips each day for an entire year. But I won't miss hurricane season. On the other hand, my new home is quite literally a few hundred yards away from the edge of a huge black lava flow field from a 7000 year old eruption which in terms of geologic time just happened...and could happen again tomorrow....like Mount St. Helens.  :o

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2023, 11:47 pm »
Awesome little town.  Had a great trip through there several years ago.  Saw Jack Johnson at the riverside venue.

Enjoy!

uncola

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2023, 08:16 am »
Good luck with your move, Morten!  I'm still hoping you resume building so I can get my Ferrari red preamp ;)

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2023, 12:39 pm »
If you are a sailor then you will know what I mean when I say you'll soon be the "DRY Tortugas", Ha Ha!

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2023, 01:58 pm »
Do try some of the locally brewed beers.  Bend has become quite the beer mecca over the past decade or so.  Maybe you can show your wares at Lou's Pacific Northwest Audio Show next year.

Sending good vibes for your move and re-establishment of TA.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2023, 05:12 pm »
Hi All,

Effective July 1, Tortuga Audio is suspending operations in Florida in preparation for relocating to Oregon and will not be accepting new orders until such time as the relocation is complete and we are stood back up in Oregon. Work on outstanding orders will continue beyond July 1st through completion & shipment thereof.   We anticipate that the relocation process will take 2-3 months to complete.

Cheers,
Morten

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Website relocation completed!
« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2023, 01:17 am »
I may still be in Florida for a while longer yet, but the website has left the building and already arrived Oregon.

Today, I managed to complete the transfer of the Tortuga Audio website from its Florida server here in the shop to a remote server located in Hillsboro, Oregon just outside of Portland. The server here has been connected to a 1 GB/s download/upload fiber optic pipe for the past few years. I don't know about Hillsboro but Portland is a major west coast US internet hub so it should be plenty speedy. After completing the transfer, I turned off the Florida server for the first time in over 3 years. I built that server myself from parts a few years back. It's a mighty dual processor beast that has run flawlessly running on a Ubuntu Linux server operating system. Can't say enough good things about Linux.

Cheers,
Morten

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2023, 01:29 am »
Welcome to Oregon Internet.

There are a few things in Hillsboro area.  The first one that comes to mind is Intels plant.

Look forward to seeing you in Bend.

Alan

JakeJ

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2023, 05:28 pm »
Hopefully the rest of the move goes smoothly.  Moving is such a PITA.

Learnin. the Linux luv too.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2023, 02:34 pm »
Man thats awsome :thumb:

I know you are moving to CO(Central Oregon), the "Valley" is also nice. I live near Salem.

Good luck on the move. And oh its 76 degrees today as compaired to FL 100+.

Wayne in Oregon

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2023, 05:57 pm »
Hi All,

Just a quick update on the move to Oregon. While the preparation phase lasted longer than I'd hoped, I now have a hard move date of Nov 3rd, 30 days from today. That will put me in Bend by mid-November. Realistically, once I get there I will probably chew up the rest of the year getting settled and putting Tortuga Audio back together again. More on that once I'm in Oregon.

Tortuga Audio's new address:

60275 Ochoco Circle
Bend, OR 97702

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2023, 10:12 pm »
congrats on the move. Bend is heaven, but don't tell anyone.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2023, 07:53 pm »
There's an official target move date:  Monday, Nov 6th.
Moving truck departs for Bend and I leave on a 3100 mile road trip later that same day.
Going west.
 :thumb: