Audio Remastering Device

witchdoctor

Audio Remastering Device
« on: 2 Jan 2019, 06:13 pm »
I have been using the Aftermaster pro remastering device for about a year. I use it for two channel stereo sources and it makes everything sound more clear and costs less than $200. It connects via HDMI and I use it between my Universal Player and my HT processor. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obSj13S-5N0

JohnR

Re: Audio Remastering Device
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2019, 06:51 pm »
Compressor?

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2019, 07:21 pm »
Compressor?

It's proprietary tech and I wouldn't say it compresses the sound. It seems to open the soundstage and let you hear information that is on the track in a more transluscent way. The instruments stand out more individually in a clear place on the sound stage. Bass is more distinct and less boomy. Vocals seem more present and natural. I bought it because I wanted a device that had an HDMI connection to improve SQ but I got way more than I expected. I would compare it to upgrading your DAC or CDP. The flip side is it does not pass dolby digital signals or work with hirez files.

I did an A/B of a track in hirez and redbook with the redbook going through the aftermaster pro. It was no contect, I preferred the aftermaster version but the hi rez seemed very clear, just less life like. The hirez still seemed more like a recording while the aftermaster seemed like you were more at a live recording session. The aftermaster will play a hirez or dolby file but it downsamples them to 44k.

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2019, 07:39 pm »
That sounds like compression.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2019, 07:56 pm »

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2019, 09:59 pm »
This review goes into more detail:

https://www.pocketables.com/2017/02/aftermaster-pro-purely-subjective-review.html

Thanks, I can see how this would work great for you, I know that you are into multi-channel highly processed sound. Compression isn't the devil that it sound like in so much pop music these days. Used judiciously it a marvelous tool.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2019, 10:47 pm »
Thanks, I can see how this would work great for you, I know that you are into multi-channel highly processed sound. Compression isn't the devil that it sound like in so much pop music these days. Used judiciously it a marvelous tool.

True, I some times associate compression with low bit rate MP3 files and didn't want to give you that impression.
I use the aftermaster in both "pure direct" 2 channel and upmixed to multichannel, both sound good.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2019, 04:13 am »
True, I some times associate compression with low bit rate MP3 files

Different type of compression.

The subjective descriptions indicate it's a dynamic range compressor, maybe some EQ on the center channel... I wonder why that reviewer never did the objective review he said he was going to, that may have shed some light.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2019, 05:31 am »
Different type of compression.

The subjective descriptions indicate it's a dynamic range compressor, maybe some EQ on the center channel... I wonder why that reviewer never did the objective review he said he was going to, that may have shed some light.

This is a 2 channel device, it won't pass a dolby digital signal. I can use the upmixer on my marantz processor to convert two channel to multichannel.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2019, 01:33 pm »
Really? My mistake. :o

Jon L

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2019, 05:49 pm »
Listening to their A-B demo on their website, I can see how it could make certain recordings more pleasing.  But it only has HDMI input/outputs.  What Aftermaster needs to do is package their "process" into software/plug-in and sell to the PC audio crowd, who can use whatever audio interface they desire (USB, optical, coax, etc). 

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2019, 07:29 pm »
Listening to their A-B demo on their website, I can see how it could make certain recordings more pleasing.  But it only has HDMI input/outputs.  What Aftermaster needs to do is package their "process" into software/plug-in and sell to the PC audio crowd, who can use whatever audio interface they desire (USB, optical, coax, etc).

They have a software product and a hardware chip available for licensing by oem's. They also have a mixer for the pro market in the works:

http://aftermaster.com/products/

witchdoctor

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm »
TThis is another reason to try aftermaster pro, look at these guys track record:

https://twitter.com/After_Master/status/1083491277100982274