Phenolic stands for De Capo

gpkoo

« on: 16 Sep 2003, 03:41 am »
Hi,

I'm looking at what stands should be used with the Da Capos.

I've currently got a massive pair of stands that were built for my Acoustic Energy AE-2s which I've half-filled with lead shot.

I realise there is another post on what people have used to fill their stands but I'm interested to see if anyone's tried the Phenolic stands that Reference 3a make themselves.

Thanks

cyounkman

Heard them once...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2003, 08:41 pm »
I've heard the phenolic stands in use at a dealership. The sound there was fine, but the amp in use was muchy on the bass anyway, so it's hard to really judge the impact there...

They are adjustable, which I can say from experience is a big advantage for these speakers--they're very height-sensitive, and and adjustable stand would save me from using, for example, the books that I am currently.

The phenolic stands are a bit pricey, and may not be as inert as steel tubes filled with lead shot and/or sand, but they do seem pretty convenient. And moving them must be much easier too!

kristian85

Best Stands for de Capos
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2003, 04:55 pm »
Has to be, unequivocally, the massive 160+lb., solid, cast concrete, fluted-garden columns, 26" high. Normally used for flower pots or something.

They supply an unbelievable foundation for the sound, and can be had for $50 ea.  I painted mine red.

Louis O

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2003, 05:10 am »
Skylan Stands

A couple months ago a friend of mine who runs an audiophile club in N.Y. called me to borrow a pair of stands for some speakers they were trying out in a meeting. The speakers were Ref 3A Royal Virtuosos. After he told me the size of the speakers I knew the 20" 4 post Skylan would work great. I brought them over and they fit perfectly and the height was great. They will work with the de Capos as well.

These are made in Calgary and are a 4 post high mass stand. After they are filled they weigh about 60 to 70 pounds. The posts, top and bottom plate are not metal and these stands are very quiet, will not ring at all.

www.skylanstands.com

Best Regards,
Louis

cyounkman

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2003, 02:58 pm »
Hi Louis. Sounds interesting. Is there a dealer network or are they direct? Do they have other sizes? I've found that I prefer my De Capos at about 25", although it is variable with setup.

How did the listening session go with the Royal Virtuosos? Did you hear the NY session? Any details you have about ancillary equipment, opinions, etc, would be great...

Ron D

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2003, 03:58 pm »
Skylan Stands can be custom fit to desired size. I'm on my second pair and 2 Skylan equipment racks in place as well. I heard the DeCapos with them here in Calgary and they were really nice. They do have a dealer network but I'm sure that Noel, the owner (who is great to deal with) could accommodate a direct purchase from out of towners

Louis O

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2003, 12:51 pm »
Hi Chris,

They have a dealer network and Ron is right Noel will sell factory direct. He is a great guy and very easy to work with. He makes stands for my speakers and the 20" 4 post stand that I tried with the Ref 3A worked great. If you want a taller stand the he makes a 24" as well. The Royal Virtuoso sounded great with the 20", I don't have a 24" so I don't know how it would work with the taller stand. Since the speaker has a tilted baffle it worked quite well.

The meeting went great and I was very happy to have the opportunity to hear the Ref 3A Royal Virtuoso. The speakers are beautiful and very well made. The system was : Viva integrated 300B amp, Philips SACD, and a VPI tt. I brought some Virtual Dynamics power cables for the amp and a set of Silver Arrow interconnects for the SACD. The combination was very good. The club members were very impressed with the sound.

If you like to see the stands and live in the Connecticut area Please let me know and I would be happy to show them. Also I will have the stands and racks at the VSAC show in Washington State and Noel will be offering a show special on them.

Many thanks and best regards,
Louis

Paul L

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2003, 04:30 pm »
Louis,

You are right on Skylan.  I use the 24 in 4 post to demo the De Capos.

You can order either direct or through dealer.  I have been skylan dealer for several years and I use Skylan stands to replace my usual (now defunct) Target stand.  You only see one brand of speaker stands in my demo system now.

Paul L

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2003, 04:33 pm »
Louis,

You are right on Skylan.  I use the 24 in 4 post to demo the De Capos.

You can order either direct or through dealer.  I have been skylan dealer for several years and I use Skylan stands to replace my usual (now defunct) Target stand.  You only see one brand of speaker stands in my demo system now.

cyounkman

Re: Best Stands for de Capos
« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2003, 04:26 am »
Quote from: kristian85
... massive 160+lb., solid, cast concrete, fluted-garden columns, 26" high...

... I painted mine red.

Cool!  :D
Can we get some pics of that system?