de Capo vs. Dulcet

davidross

de Capo vs. Dulcet
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:29 am »
Has anyone been able to do a serious comparison between the de Capo and the Dulcet? If cost, space, and amp requirements are not considerations, are there reasons to choose the Dulcet, that is are there any performance areas where the Dulcet is clearly better?

panderso

Re: de Capo vs. Dulcet
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2007, 06:49 pm »
I can't claim a serious comparison, in the sense of hearing both on the same equipment, proximate in time.
Here are my unscientific impressions...

I have heard both in my small room, (11' x 16 x 8' ceiling) and ultimately preferred the Dulcets to both the Veena and the De Capo-i.  I'm not suggesting the Dulcets are better in any ultimate sense, but their tuning seemed to be a perfect fit for my room and taste.  For my application the imaging and soundstaging of the Dulcets is superior, the bass is cleaner, if not as deep in real terms as the
Veena (for sure) and the De Capo (perhaps). My experience; that famously direct and seamless voice just came through the Dulcets in the most pleasing and lively way.  Initially, I raved about the Veena, but over time I longed for the return of the Dulcets. The Dulcets may match a wider variety of SS amps than its bigger, more efficient brethren.

Others with different rooms, different ears, and the right tube amps may come to quite different conclusions.

Enjoy!
      -paul-

dspringham

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2007, 08:32 pm »
 Found this in the "Free Advice" section of UHF magazine online

"The Dulcet is an impressive speaker, but it's not possible to say that it is "better” than its larger brandmate. Its overall tonal balance was particularly good, and you might prefer it for that reason. However it has neither the dynamic headroom nor the bass extension of the MM de Capo-i. In other respects the two Reference 3a models do share aspects of the family sound: low intermodulation distortion (which causes blurring of tones), and a wide, stable stereo image. Not a bad list."

phowell1

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2007, 10:56 pm »
Hello,

I have not had the opportunity to hear either speaker in my home, but had an extended listening session to the decapo i in a room that was too small for it, and for what that's worth I can say that it was the most revealing speaker I have ever heard.

I also heard a pair of dulcets in a better setting but with worse ancilliary equipment, and was completely blown away. I was amazed at how "alive" the presentation was. It just drew me in and I didn't want to leave. It was the most engaging speaker I have ever heard.

The decapos were by comparison way too bright and didn't have that same thrumming vivacity as the dulcets, though before I rule them out completely I would like to hear them in a bigger room.

Hope that helps someone.