NuPrime IDA-8 query re: using NuForce HAP-100 as input selector

Friedrich

I have a new IDA-8, with which I am thrilled so far. but I need more than one RCA input, and I am wondering whether it would work to use my NuForce HAP-100 as an input selector, by plugging its output into the RCA input on the IDA-8.

Any advice about whether that would work, and to what extent it would degrade the sound quality? Also, if I do it, should the attenuator on the HAP-100 be turned to maximum volume?

(The alternative would be to use one of these switch boxes: Goldpoint SW4 or Decware Zen ZSB, each costing almost $400 with shipping, and with no remote control available.)

srb

NuForce may have a reply for this, so I would certainly defer to their expertise and experience, but it would seem to me to be a viable option and worth trying.  You would of course have extra cabling, jack/plug connections and a bit of extra resistance and/or capacitance, but you would also have that with the Goldpoint-type external switcher option.

The circuitry is relatively low noise, the attenuator is a thin film resistor ladder network, and supposedly unity gain at the preamp outputs is achieved at 89% or steps of the 100-step volume control, which is where I would set it unless you feel you need more or less overall system gain relative to your analog sources.

Steve

Genez

I have a new IDA-8, with which I am thrilled so far. but I need more than one RCA input, and I am wondering whether it would work to use my NuForce HAP-100 as an input selector, by plugging its output into the RCA input on the IDA-8.

Any advice about whether that would work, and to what extent it would degrade the sound quality? Also, if I do it, should the attenuator on the HAP-100 be turned to maximum volume?

(The alternative would be to use one of these switch boxes: Goldpoint SW4 or Decware Zen ZSB, each costing almost $400 with shipping, and with no remote control available.)
In my opinion you would be better off getting a high quality audio switching box.  Something like this, but search for the highest quality.....http://www.amazon.com/TC-716-Stereo-Selector-BLACK-VERSION/dp/B0001F347K

Otherwise, if you linked the HAP 100? You may end up losing some of the benefit of the IDA-8's preamp section. 

I own a HAP 100. For what it is its a great sounding unit. It utilizes some high quality IC chips for its preamp.  In contrast to the IC chips of the HAP, the IDA-8 utilizes a discrete preamp section.  Discrete, when done right, should give superior sound. So, you may be downgrading the IDA's sound a bit by taking that route.  Not to mention the possibility of overloading the IDA's inputs.  From what I understand about the HAP 100.. the HAP100 is a high output preamp.  So, that could cause a problem with your scenario. 

One of the reasons I would want to upgrade my HAP 100 to the IDA-8? Would be to benefit from its discrete circuitry sound.  The last thing I would want to do would be to place a preamp's IC chips ahead of the IDA-8.  That's just my opinion.  Someone here who knows these units intimately should be the one to confirm, or deny what I just stated.

rustydoglim

He has no choice because of multiple analog inputs.

Genez

If still interested...

That Niles switching box was discontinued @Crutchfield.   Here is one one sale @Amazon.     http://tinyurl.com/qbpe4ub

Read the reviews.  Impressive..