BDA-3 DAC

todd95008

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1180 on: 12 May 2019, 10:46 pm »
Hi Todd

The coax ground return is connected to chassis ground, not system ground.

James
Got it. This would prevent ground loops inside the box.
I was always wondering...

Thanks
Todd

todd95008

« Reply #1181 on: 13 May 2019, 06:40 pm »

I will be posting more comments on the operational quirks over the next week.

OK, I wanted to hear back from Bryston (contacted Stan B & Mike Picket) before posting here.

Here are my 2 main operational issues or quirks with the BDA-3.
FYI:My unit is connected via coax S/PDIF and HDMI to an Oppo Udp-205.
The Oppo HDMI output is from the "audio only" HDMI output set to bitstream.
The Oppo S/PDIF output is set to PCM.

First issue is the loud pop when I switch from PCM to DSD.
Obviously this only happens on the HDMI input as the Oppo does not output DSD on coax.
Once I'm locked in DSD mode it works fine (no pops).
I though this was fixed quite a while back.
No comment from Bryston.

Second issue is when I power up the Oppo and play something in PCM format the BDA-3 has no output.
It shows the input and lock LED's as green but no sample rate LED (all off).
If I either power Off/On the BDA-3 or change to an unused input and back, it will then lock, show sample rate an have an output.
The same is true on HDMI.
If I turn Off the Oppo and back On the BDA-3 once again will not work.

I also have an BDA-1 that would default to the 32k sample rate when the same Oppo was first turned On.
It would however switch to the correct sample rate (44 to 192k) and output without an issue when a file is played.
Perhaps the Oppo's default 32k locks up the BDA-3 ?

Bryston's comment is "The BDA-3 does not support 32khz sample rate and BDA-1 did".
I'm not asking the BDA to support 32k but it should recover with a proper 44k to 192k PCM signal and not lock up !

All of the above also happens when I tried an older Oppo BDP-105D.

So, If I want to play SACD/DSD I must:
Mute my pre-Amp first, start to play the SACD or DSD file until the BDA-3 locks on DSD and is past the pop.
Stop and un-mute the pre-Amp and start to play the track again.

If I want to play PCM I must:
Turn on the Oppo and play 44k to 192k PCM.
Turn on the BDA-3 (to avoid the lockup) and again re-start the track.

That is some buggy operation IMHO.
I think at least the 32k lockup can be fixed with firmware ?

Todd

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1182 on: 13 May 2019, 07:45 pm »
Hi

If your player does not put out digital ‘o’ s in between changes in the digital format then you will get a ‘click’ with the HDMI.

Some players maintain a digital signal in between changes and some do not

James

todd95008

« Reply #1183 on: 13 May 2019, 08:03 pm »
Hi

If your player does not put out digital ‘o’ s in between changes in the digital format then you will get a ‘click’ with the HDMI.

Some players maintain a digital signal in between changes and some do not

James
The loud POP is only when switching between PCM to DSD.
Once it is locked in DSD mode there are no more pops either at the start of playing or between tracks.
This could be the Oppo doing something strange ?

My other issue at startup of the Oppo and 32k is of more concern to me.
I have looked thru all the settings in the Oppo to see if there is some default Coax sample rate but other than Off (no use there) nothing solve the issue.

Todd

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1184 on: 13 May 2019, 08:15 pm »
Once it is locked in DSD mode there are no more pops either at the start of playing or between tracks.

I have looked thru all the settings in the Oppo to see if there is some default Coax sample rate but other than Off (no use there) nothing solve the issue.

Todd

Hi Todd

Correct it’s when it changes from one format to another - DSD to PCM

James

todd95008

« Reply #1185 on: 13 May 2019, 10:24 pm »
Hi Todd

Correct it’s when it changes from one format to another - DSD to PCM

James

OK, enough of the HDMI DSD popping issue. I can live with that as DSD is <10% of my content.

On coax input, the BDA-3 should recover from the 32k sampling rate (instead of locking up) and continue to play the 44k to 192k PCM format.
instead I have to either change inputs or power cycle the BDA-3 to get it to output.
This is an issue that really does need to be addressed !

BTW: James thanks for your support on this forum.
it not often we see someone at your level within an audio company have this level of responsiveness !

Todd

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1186 on: 13 May 2019, 11:56 pm »
Ok I will send this to the engineer that designed the DAC to see if there is anything that can be done.

Do you have a lot of 32k content?

james

todd95008

« Reply #1187 on: 14 May 2019, 01:25 am »

Do you have a lot of 32k content?

james
I have no 32khz content (I don't even know what content is @ 32khz).
The Oppo UDP-205 or BDP-105 both default to 32khz at startup.
The BDA-3 locks up and does not recover unless I power off and On again or switch an output and back.

From my earlier post:
When I power up the Oppo and play something in PCM format the BDA-3 has no output.
It shows the input and lock LED's as green but no sample rate LED (all off).
If I either power Off/On the BDA-3 or change to an unused input and back, it will then lock, show sample rate an have an output.
The same is true on HDMI.
If I turn Off the Oppo and back On the BDA-3 once again will not work.

Interesting note is if I go from 32khz at startup to SACD/DSD the unit will pop and then play (clears the lockup at 32khz).

Thanks
Todd

papaned

« Reply #1188 on: 28 May 2019, 01:06 am »

Todd

todd95008

« Reply #1189 on: 28 May 2019, 10:44 pm »
Sorry to have hogged this forum for the last page.
Update: My Oppo lock issue is gone on HDMI (still locks on SPDIF coax).
Don't know what I did but it always works on HDMI now ?

My LED's are now blue (with help from Mike P. at Bryston). This is just a solder jumper that changes LED's from green to blue.
Not recommended for everyone as you need some basic soldering skills and equipment !
This should have at least been a $.05 jumper plug, but even that would require someone to remove the cover and they may not have the correct Torx bit.
Something at this price point should either have a switch in the back or a LED color config in the web browser (my $.02).
The blue LED's are not too bright either !

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1190 on: 29 May 2019, 08:38 pm »
They used to have two separate systems, one green, one blue. So this has been an improvement. Perhaps in the next version/iteration they can make it software or hard-switch adjustable. That certainly would be nice.

Andreashifi

• hifi, stereo, 2.0
« Reply #1191 on: 14 Jun 2019, 03:59 am »
Hello BDA-3 owners!
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2019, 04:22 am by Andreashifi »

Grant Hill

« Reply #1192 on: 27 Jul 2019, 08:47 am »
Hi All,
I need help.

I've a new PC replacing the one I was using with BDA3 (mini PC dedicated to audio), which I used with foobar2000. the previous one worked flawless with Windows7, but I had to change it and the new one run Win10.
I've reinstalled foobar 2000 with Asio Driver as suggested by BDA3 manual, but I can't make it play dsd anymore… they are marked on BDA3 panel as 176k. this for .dsf files and Iso as well.
dff files aren't played at all  :(

any help on the correct foobar settings for this great DAC?

thanks!

GH

PS: let me know if I have to open a new thread...

Grant Hill

« Reply #1193 on: 27 Jul 2019, 09:20 am »
also, I forgot to mention that I've installed all the usual foobar components (at least I believe I did)

but the very strange thing is that the volume is MUCH LOWER now with this new PC…. I have tried to play a CD via BDA3 (spdf) and i plays at usual volume, when I change the input on USB the volume gets so low that I've to turn it to the max and still it's low… everything is the same as before, I've just changed the PC which is connected with a USB cable to the DAC... of course I've installed the Bryston driver for Win10 downloading it from the website.   

jcn3

« Reply #1194 on: 27 Jul 2019, 04:05 pm »
also, I forgot to mention that I've installed all the usual foobar components (at least I believe I did)

but the very strange thing is that the volume is MUCH LOWER now with this new PC…. I have tried to play a CD via BDA3 (spdf) and i plays at usual volume, when I change the input on USB the volume gets so low that I've to turn it to the max and still it's low… everything is the same as before, I've just changed the PC which is connected with a USB cable to the DAC... of course I've installed the Bryston driver for Win10 downloading it from the website.

Did you try the plug-ins mentioned here: http://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/94982-foobar-2000-and-playing-dsf-audio-files

Grant Hill

« Reply #1195 on: 27 Jul 2019, 05:17 pm »
Did you try the plug-ins mentioned here: http://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/94982-foobar-2000-and-playing-dsf-audio-files

Yes... I’ll try to download and install again

shawngt2

« Reply #1196 on: 15 Sep 2019, 08:13 pm »
Hello "Anyone" whom could help.

I purchased a BDP-3, BDA-3 combo and received yesterday (new). I installed a 2TB SSD (Samsung 860 EVO) into the unit myself (formatted using NTFS in my Windows computer and uploaded my music collection). Firmware came with latest (as using shipped from Bryston on Friday). However, I am having several issues.

1. Music stops out of the blue randomly and I have to hit play again (sometimes song starts at beginning again). Some flac files do not play where they did play on my mac using Audirvana no problem.
2. No matter what I do, I cannot get Tidal to work. Login credentials are there and tested. I can search artists, and select a song (shows playing), but no sounds and the DAC USB1 channel is lighting up, but the Lock and PCM lights are all off. When I go to my library and select a flac on the internal SSD, it plays (but again sometimes stops randomly).

These problems are driving me a little bonkers and could not find any help in Google for this.

All help appreciated.

shawngt2

« Reply #1197 on: 15 Sep 2019, 09:03 pm »
Solved #1 after reading the BDP-3 manual! My bad. You need to select output in Tidal settings to USB DAC (in this case BDA-3). It showed up loud and clear on my desktop.

About #2, issue doesn't seem to be there at the moment, but will watch closely!

shawngt2

« Reply #1198 on: 18 Sep 2019, 12:18 am »
Hi All, Still trying to figure some things out with the BDA-3.

Trying to access my internal SDD storage (as mentioned in above comments) and having no luck. SAMBA service is enabled and cannot see the drive on Windows or Mac. I tried to do the Manic Moose NAS instruction and still can't see the drive. Really trying to get new files onto the SSD! I enabled all sharing services on my Windows PC, still nothing.

HELP!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1199 on: 18 Sep 2019, 10:37 am »
Hi All, Still trying to figure some things out with the BDA-3.

Trying to access my internal SDD storage (as mentioned in above comments) and having no luck. SAMBA service is enabled and cannot see the drive on Windows or Mac. I tried to do the Manic Moose NAS instruction and still can't see the drive. Really trying to get new files onto the SSD! I enabled all sharing services on my Windows PC, still nothing.

HELP!

Hi shawn

If your running Windows 10 you should check out this article written by WD

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4155