Placement and Cable Length Questions

95Dyna

Placement and Cable Length Questions
« on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:26 pm »
My equipment placement is limited to a column of shelves that represents one third of the width of a solid oak entertaiment center.  This causes a 3.5 vs 1.5 meter speaker cable distance discrepency.  I would like to buy a pair of 7B's and a Torus RM15.  The Torus may have to be located outside the center due to the availability of only two fixed shelves that will support over 50 pounds.

My only option to keep speaker cables short and of equal length is to move one 7B outside the center close to the far speaker and move the Torus in to take its place.  The problem now is reaching the Torus from the far 7B.  An alternate solution to keep everything in the center is switch from 7B to 14B but that still leaves me with the speaker cable problem.  I'm not worried about interconnect lengths as I will be using balanced connections.

James, I know your "preference" is for short equal lengthed speaker cables.  I would appreciate some advice as to what performance problems I would encounter with speaker cables with a 2+ meter variance or keeping the cables one length to accomodate the far speaker but causing a cable excess at the near speaker (it won't be able to lay straight).  If neither alternative is good is there another solution (don't say get rid of the entertainment center unless you want to talk to my wife about it!).

By the way, assume they are Bryston cables.

Thanks,

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Placement and Cable Length Questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2008, 05:50 pm »
Hi Bill,

The priority when using the Torus in your system is to have it as close to the amplifiers as possible. So I would opt for longer speaker cables if it places the amplifier(s) equal distance from the Torus.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2008, 07:13 pm »
Thanks James.  Should I keep the speaker cables the same length with excess at the near speaker or size them according to actual distance from amp to speaker?

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2008, 07:34 pm »
Thanks James.  Should I keep the speaker cables the same length with excess at the near speaker or size them according to actual distance from amp to speaker?

Bill

Good one -
From the Science crowd - electrons travel at the speed of light so the small distance in cable length would not amount to much.

Me, being paranoid and obsessed with symmetry, would leave the speaker cables the same length.

james