Question on Bryston's Speaker Binding Posts

c_note

Question on Bryston's Speaker Binding Posts
« on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:50 am »
Hi, James, Happy Holidays to you and congratulations on the SST squared series.  We're all looking forward to hearing the new amplifiers.  I have a question regrading Bryston's speaker binding posts.  My speaker cables use Cardas spades, which I believe are larger and thicker than most spades, so I want to ensure there won't be a problem inserting the spades into the post.  From the Cardas schematic on their website, the exterior width of the spade is 0.64", the interior opening is 0.36", and the spade thickness is 0.10" (a good bit thicker than most spades, I believe).  Here is a link to the schematic: http://www.cardas.com/images/oem/JPEG_DRAWINGS/CCMS9R.jpg.  Will there be any issue using these spades with Bryston's new amplifiers?  As always, Bryston fans thank you for your active participation in these forums.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Question on Bryston's Speaker Binding Posts
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:26 pm »
Hi,

The binding post opening is 0.635" wide.  This allows 0.010" clearance on a nominal 5/8" or 0.625" spade lug.  The height of the opening is 0.132", and the post is 0.310".  Thus, the only point of interference is the 0.638" width of the spade.  Since the housing is plastic, I would presume three thousandths of an inch of interference would not provide a problem for installling the spades.

It's also likely the measurements shown are maxima, so the spades should fit without difficulty. There is an error on Cardas' drawing, showing the total length of the blade to be 0.400".  Since the depth of the opening on that blade is shown as 0.427", both dimensions cannot be correct.  The spade lug should install with enough depth for good contact if the blade is 0.600" deep, as it seems to be from the scale of the drawing.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2008, 03:37 pm »
I'm also using Cardas GRCS,(not sure of spade size),They do fit with a little bit of messin about.
You can actually feel when the spade has reached it's optimul contact point.As James says,there is enough contact from spade to post.I do snug  up the posts so that they almost have a deathgrip on the spades :icon_twisted: .

servingko

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2008, 04:56 pm »
You can always upgrade the binding posts to Cardas as I have done.  It was cheaper than new cables since I didn't want to cut the factory terminated cables.   I ended up going with the 100% copper binding posts that are were about $35 for each channel.

c_note

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2008, 04:55 pm »
Serving, can you speak as to how you installed the Cardas binding posts?  I freely acknowledge my electrical ignorance, so I strongly doubt this is a task I would want to do myself.  Did the dealer do it for you?  Better yet, is this a factory option that Bryston would do for you prior to delivery for an extra charge?  (I can see James wincing even as I type that last sentence!  ;-))  Happy holidays to all, I sincerely enjoy the open exchange of ideas on this forum.

servingko

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2008, 05:38 pm »

In theory the change is quite simple.  However, my de-soldering skills are marginal at best so the change was performed by a qualified electronics repair facility.  Total cost was $105 per amp, $70 for parts and 1 hour of labor at $35.  I highly recommend the Cardas units I used for spades but not banana plugs - they just don't seem to grasp enough of the plug, although the locking variety seem to work OK.

If your dealer isn't up to the task there should be a number of other facilities that should be able to perform this for you.  The individual that performed this on my amps was VERY impressed with the engineering, parts and build quality, and most importantly, the sound quality of the amps.  In fact I sold him a well used 3B-ST that he loves and is saving up to get a pair of 2B-SST's.  I am very intrigued by the announcement of the SST2 series.  While I love my 2B-SST's, I do wish for more power but they sound better to me that the 4B-SST I have as well.  If the SST2 gets me closer to the 2B-SST, I will be sold and order a pair of 4B-SST2's.