4B-ST vs. 4B-SST Gain

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 4B-ST vs. 4B-SST Gain
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2008, 12:58 pm »
Quote: Ok I think you mean using 2 amps in a Vertical or Horizontal-(not bridging the amps) configuration.

James, how can one use two unbridged 4Bs in a vertical bi-amp? wouldnt they need to be bridged to make this work?

Hi - I guess we have to define our terms - maybe I'm confused.

Vertical bi-amping is when you use 2 stereo amps BUT use a single stereo amp on each speaker and use 1/2 of the stereo amp to drive the bass and the other half to drive the mid/tweeter.

Horizontal bi-amping is when you use 2 stereo amps but 1 stereo amp runs the bass panels and the other stereo amp runs the mid/tweeters.

?????????????

james

Hi James, I agree with your definition of the horizontal and vertical bi-amps. I think I've sorted our the confusion i was having with the vertical bi-amp - in this situation, using two identical (4B type) stereo amps, and a pre-amp with two sets of outputs, we would:

-place one stereo amp ('amp A') next to the left speaker, and place the other next to the right speaker ('amp B')
-connect one of the left channel outs of the pre with the left channel in of amp A, and the other left channel out of the pre to the *right* channel in of amp A
-connect the left channel out of amp A to the bass, and the right one to the panel of the left speaker
- -use the same process to connect the right channel outs of the pre to amp B and to connect the right speaker to amp B

Are we on the same page? I've never tried this style of bi-amp as I've never had two identical amps in my system at one time, but it makes good sense.

Hi Viajero,

Correct - same page - exactly as you suggest.  I have always found that the closer you can place the amplifier to the speaker the better so this arrangement optimizes that condition.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2008, 01:18 pm »
Yes, this is definitely the way to go if one has two identical amps... exactly the same amplification provided to the speaker as in a horizontal bi-amp, but the benefit of shorter speaker cables. Thanks for clarifying!

danman

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2008, 03:18 pm »
Sorry to bring this up again however I am wondering if it would be preferable to vertically bi-amp with another 4B-ST or go with a new single unit 4B-SST?

Can any of you with experience let me know please?

Also, would the sound of the SST series be a better alternative as this is what I am looking for of course.

Thank you