10B Sub crossover settings for TB2's & TLE-1

b5pt9

10B Sub crossover settings for TB2's & TLE-1
« on: 8 Oct 2008, 03:02 pm »
Anyone have suggestions for 10B sub crossover settings when used with PMC TB2 monitors and a TLE1 powered sub?  I haven't had much time to experiment yet but initially setting both LP and HP at 80Hz, 12dB/oct sounds pretty good.  The slope options on the 10B are 6, 12 or 18dB/octave.

This is a basement system I threw together in hopes of selling some unused items.  I've never used the TB2/TLE1/10B sub combination before and frankly I was blown away how good it sounds  :o :D.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 10B Sub crossover settings for TB2's & TLE-1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2008, 04:36 pm »
Anyone have suggestions for 10B sub crossover settings when used with PMC TB2 monitors and a TLE1 powered sub?  I haven't had much time to experiment yet but initially setting both LP and HP at 80Hz, 12dB/oct sounds pretty good.  The slope options on the 10B are 6, 12 or 18dB/octave.

This is a basement system I threw together in hopes of selling some unused items.  I've never used the TB2/TLE1/10B sub combination before and frankly I was blown away how good it sounds  :o :D.   

Hi There,

On the 10B the 6/12 and 18dB per octave switch will shift the phase 90 degrees with each setting (on both the high-pass and the low-pass).  When your integrating any sub with any main speaker the 'bass rolloff' characteristics of the Mains and the Highpass rolloff' of the Sub is the area you are trying to optimize. (That's why the 10B is such a great crossover - tremendous flexibility through the crossover range.)

So 'integrating' the 'phase' at the 'crossover point' is really what your attempting to achieve.  Usually 18dB on the lowpass and 6 or 18dB on the high pass works best but  every room is different so experimentation is in order. Listen to string bass and try and get the TRANSIENT to sound fast and defined. If you can do that then it usually means the 'phase' at the crossover point between the Mains and the Sub is working properly.

james