New 4BSST

dinyaar

New 4BSST
« on: 5 Oct 2008, 04:26 am »
Hi Guys,
This is my first post here. Am from bombay,India and have the BP6/4BSST/B&W 805s combo. CDP is a work in progress. Owned a 3BSST for a short while before getting this 4BSST.
Bryston has done away with the touch panel membrane switch? Why? Now the switch looks similar but is a conventional switch. Secondly there is a line voltage status indicator on the rear panel.
In india there is a problem of voltage fluctuations. All areas may not get a steady 230V. Have measured the voltage at my apt at various times and its generally around 230V. If there are 1/2 % fluctuations will the bryston handle it or will the line voltage indicator turn red? Should i get a servo stabilizer to get a constant voltage? If so what capacity. A 3KVA should be much more than what i should need? correct? As the amp should consume a max of 1280(manual suggests) @ 8ohms and the rest of the gear barely anything. Even so there is a buffer of 1500W which should be enough to ensure optimum performance of the amplifier.
Please advise guys.

b5pt9

Re: New 4BSST
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2008, 01:44 pm »
 :) Welcome to the forum.  1/2% voltage fluctuation from nominal is nothing to worry about, perhaps >10% would be a problem.  Over here we'll see anywhere from 115 to 135V typically at the wall receptacle on a nominal 120V system.  I've measured as high as 138V at my house.

My guess on the power switch revision is probably the membrane switch was too flimsy and finicky so they went to something more traditional.  I don't like the membrane switch myself, often I have to hit it a few times to get it to hold.  If I press it a millisecond too long the amp turns on and off immediately.  I just hooked up the 12V trigger and don't use the switch much anymore.

Lancelot

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:38 pm »
I agree that the membrane switch seemed neat at first but wears thin after awhile for exactly the reasons you state ( I have a 3 B SST ).

Perhaps it's my imagination but it seems to have become more sensitive to exactly the right touch over the years.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2008, 02:45 pm »
I agree that the membrane switch seemed neat at first but wears thin after awhile for exactly the reasons you state ( I have a 3 B SST ).

Perhaps it's my imagination but it seems to have become more sensitive to exactly the right touch over the years.

Hi All,

Yes we are moving away from the membrain switch and using the power switch like on the 2B-SST and 28B-SST. The membrane switch is very reliable and will last a life time but I feel as many of you seem to that the mechanical push switch is just easier to work with.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2008, 03:04 pm »
Can the membrane switch be swapped out with a power switch,
if so can a dealer do the install,Thanks,Don

john1970

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2008, 03:15 pm »
Can the membrane switch be swapped out with a power switch,
if so can a dealer do the install,Thanks,Don

James,

I also have a 4B SST and would like to know as well.  While the membrane switch is cool a more traditional mechanical switch would be easier.  I also use the 12V input to swith the amp on with the power amp.

Cheers,

John

dinyaar

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2008, 03:22 pm »
Thanks guys and thank u Mr Tanner.
Actually the reason for this swap from 3B to 4B was the erratic behaviour of the membrane switch. Seemed to have a mind of its own. So am more than happy to see the company go back to a regular power switch. IMO a robust amplifier like the Bryston can do without a fancy membrane switch as it can be a reason for an otherwise solid amp to fail. 
Regards

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2008, 04:30 pm »
Hi All,

I am not sure if a swap is possible - I will check on Monday with Mike Pickett at Bryston.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2008, 01:38 pm »
Hi Guys,
This is my first post here. Am from bombay,India and have the BP6/4BSST/B&W 805s combo. CDP is a work in progress. Owned a 3BSST for a short while before getting this 4BSST.
Bryston has done away with the touch panel membrane switch? Why? Now the switch looks similar but is a conventional switch. Secondly there is a line voltage status indicator on the rear panel.
In india there is a problem of voltage fluctuations. All areas may not get a steady 230V. Have measured the voltage at my apt at various times and its generally around 230V. If there are 1/2 % fluctuations will the bryston handle it or will the line voltage indicator turn red? Should i get a servo stabilizer to get a constant voltage? If so what capacity. A 3KVA should be much more than what i should need? correct? As the amp should consume a max of 1280(manual suggests) @ 8ohms and the rest of the gear barely anything. Even so there is a buffer of 1500W which should be enough to ensure optimum performance of the amplifier.
Please advise guys.

Hi Dinyaar,

The new voltage circuit on the back of the 4B just monitors the incoming voltage. The LED light is Green when all is OK and will turn RED if the voltage drops below a specific threshold.  Eventually if the voltage drops too far the amp will turn off.

james

dinyaar

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2008, 04:35 pm »
Thanks Mr Tanner. My amplifier carton mentions  220V. I get your explanation of the line voltage indicator and its function. Does it also shut off the amp if there is excessive line voltage? If so what would be the cut off keeping in mind the fact that my amp is set at 220V?
Actually i spoke with Mr Brian Russell and Mr Mike Pickett when the 3B and then the 4B failed. Both were as helpful as they could be from such a long distance away.
James the indicator in the 4B would remain green when the wall outlets are switched on but would turn red when the amp was powered on. The dealer here said that all was ok as long as the amp played fine(which it did) and that i should not really bother about the rear end!!!!!!! I just could not have the indicator red and hence called and spoke to Mike who sent the dealer emailed instructions to adjust the preset to set the amp at the correct voltage. Preset was adjusted and all seemed fine . A new bigger problem cropped up i.e the front LEDs on the left channel would turn orange and the channel would mute in about an hour of playback at modest volumes. Once again Bryston was informed and the channel bias was to be lowered. Was attempted by the dealer but unsuccesfully at which point i got fed up and asked for a replacement as i had the amp for under a month.
Finally just a fortnight ago i received the new 4B and all seems fine. Have been travelling on work and have barely heard the amp but the LED  at the rear stays green at all times which is great.
I would have really loved to know what the fault was in both the earlier Brystons but sadly the dealer/distributor are not in a position to fathom that out.
I just love the way the Brystons sound in my set up and also respect the way all the guys at Bryston treat the customer.

Thanks for your time.
Regards
Dinyaar
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2008, 08:02 am by dinyaar »