Best speakers under $3000 USD ??

2bigears

Re: Best speakers under $3000 USD ??
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jul 2020, 02:45 am »
 :D those tekton speakers are lower on budgets. And they do have a following.  Cheap to buy. Must mean cheaper parts.  But they sound great ?  Sure would love to hear a pair. Do they have the magic formula?   :D

AvsFan

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jul 2020, 04:16 am »
:D those tekton speakers are lower on budgets. And they do have a following.  Cheap to buy. Must mean cheaper parts.  But they sound great ?  Sure would love to hear a pair. Do they have the magic formula?   :D

Yeah, I've owned the M-Lore and the Pendragon. Parts and construction do seem on the cheap side. They are light in weight and the box sounds hollow as all heck. Build quality is so so. I own the other pro driver speakers out of Utah that are VERY similar. But it's a night and day difference in build quality and sound for that matter. The ZU Speakers build quality is exceptional, beautiful and very solid, nothing cheap about them the sound is better than any Tekton I have ever heard as well, but let's talk about the sound of the Tektons. They are one great sounding speaker! Both the M-Lore and Pendragons sounded great in the systems I had them in. I think Eric does have some magic going on, he focuses on the most important part of a speaker, how do these things sound? And they sound wonderful! I just prefer the ZU's more. I would LOVE to hear a Tekton in my current two channel set up though. The electronics I now have in this system are the best I have ever had, I am sure the Tekton's would shine in this system. Of course, on Tommy's Golden Cherry monoblocks, I am sure the Pendragon or any other Tekton would be superb! They're a GREAT speaker especially for the money.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #62 on: 7 Jul 2020, 04:31 am »
FWIW, Magnepan 1.7i speakers are everything on the list except efficiency and slam, although they put out enough bass to go without the sub.

Price is $1000 less than the proposed limit.  There’s a major plus. But....  Efficiency is a low 86dB, so big power is needed for loudness, and they can only be pushed so far as physics takes over. Distortion rises steeply when they reach their excursion limits.

They sound different than “box speakers”, and listeners tend to be split between love/hate.  More love here.  Big imaging. They seem to disappear.  Recordings that were previously unlistenable are suddenly not so bad.  Great recordings really shine.  Voices are smooth and silky.  Transients are sharp but never harsh, but that requires “tight” amplification.

Here’s a pair driven by Cherry MEGA MK2 MONOs (>1000Wpc capable, 120dB).  The amps are driven directly (no preamp) by a Cherry 130dB+ DAC DAC 2 HS:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #63 on: 7 Jul 2020, 04:42 am »
....and $2k over the limit is the JTR 210RT.  These do everything right, and sound nothing like the other horn based speakers I’ve heard over the last three decades.  Punch, slam, finesse, imaging, near limitless power handling (up to 2000W)....

Super, super impressive. 125 lbs each.  It’s actually a 3-way with concentric midrange and tweeter. Crossover points are spread very far apart.  These have the lowest distortion I’ve ever measured with REW from a speaker.  This system is the same as the one above aside from the speakers (and a professional photographer):

Jon L

« Reply #64 on: 7 Jul 2020, 06:25 am »
....and $2k over the limit is the JTR 210RT. 

Super, super impressive. 125 lbs each.  It’s actually a 3-way with concentric midrange and tweeter.

Those BMS dual-diaphragm concentric compression drivers are very interesting.  The advantages are clear, but it does mean an extra crossover is needed compared to a single-diaphragm 1.4" compression driver, for example.  Would love to listen to a version with active crossover with no passive crossover between the amp and the dual diaphragms, preserving the astonishing 118dB sensitivity instead of padding them down to 95dB sensitivity.

NICKTENN

« Reply #65 on: 7 Jul 2020, 12:38 pm »
....and $2k over the limit is the JTR 210RT.  These do everything right, and sound nothing like the other horn based speakers I’ve heard over the last three decades.  Punch, slam, finesse, imaging, near limitless power handling (up to 2000W)....

Super, super impressive. 125 lbs each.  It’s actually a 3-way with concentric midrange and tweeter. Crossover points are spread very far apart.  These have the lowest distortion I’ve ever measured with REW from a speaker.  This system is the same as the one above aside from the speakers (and a professional photographer):

The JTR 210RTs are the speakers that I really want, but too far out of my budget as I’m trying to replace the front end of my home theater (where I also listen to music), so that would be $7500 (plus shipping) for 3 towers or $7300 for 2 towers and a 210RM center (granted there may be a little wiggle room in pricing as I’ve bought from Jeff before). Whereas the Tekton Double Impacts are $3300 (with upgrade, shipped) and they have a special for $600 for the matching center (plus $150) for the upgrade so a total of $4050 shipped. I tried to get away with going the least expensive route through JTR by trying out 3 110HTs (originally designed for surround duties), but I’m using them as my front stage. Their clarity and dynamics are unreal, but they have to be put close to the wall to reach 80hz to match my sub crossover. Unfortunately for music (soundstage/depth/etc) they sound way better off the wall, but lack midbass/bass. So I think I’ll be sending them back. Maybe I’ll try the Tekton’s, rock them for a couple years until I magically fall into money and can go full JTR.

RonN5

« Reply #66 on: 7 Jul 2020, 01:24 pm »
I'm not sure the JTRs pass the living room looks test...but at a similar price, here is another speaker that I think would fit the bill.  I've heard other Volti speakers at shows and would definitely put them on my own personal short list....on the other hand, they might be a little bit too boxy in their overall looks for some.

http://voltiaudio.com/razz/

One other thought....I doubt most of us ever play music at anywhere near 110+ db....BUT...one thing it suggests for the few people that do is that the last watt is as important as the first watt.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #67 on: 7 Jul 2020, 01:56 pm »

JTR are hard to believe for the price, such a great deal!

Personally, I'd remove the stock xo and use a small SET amp on the compression driver, but that's just my preference. I don't believe perfect time alignment at the lower xo frequency matters at all.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #68 on: 7 Jul 2020, 02:10 pm »

+1. Hopefully you got my PM.

Best,
Anand.

HT cOz

« Reply #69 on: 7 Jul 2020, 02:27 pm »
Shifting gears to hit the SPL and efficiency requirements...

How about the new Vortex kit by DIYSoundgroup? https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/vortex.html  Eric has run a great shop for many years and has a stellar reputation in the DIY world. 

To hit the WAF factor I would turn to a shop like SMJ to create and execute a good looking design.  http://www.smjaudio.com/  If you need help in designing your speaker you could hire Ivica as I did for my own speaker project. 

Ivica designed this speaker for me from a Selah kit.  Also I'm sure Rick Craig could build you a set of speakers that hits your target  :rock:

AvsFan

« Reply #70 on: 7 Jul 2020, 03:42 pm »
I'm not sure the JTRs pass the living room looks test...but at a similar price, here is another speaker that I think would fit the bill.  I've heard other Volti speakers at shows and would definitely put them on my own personal short list....on the other hand, they might be a little bit too boxy in their overall looks for some.

http://voltiaudio.com/razz/

One other thought....I doubt most of us ever play music at anywhere near 110+ db....BUT...one thing it suggests for the few people that do is that the last watt is as important as the first watt.

Those look sweet! But waaaaaaaayyyy over my price as well. I can spend about $2000 on a pair of speakers. That's my limit.

And yes, you are correct, if there is anyone listening at 110dbs everyday, well your hearing is already shot anyway. That's literally approaching concert levels. But, it's for sure fun to jam out to a great Rush, RATM or Metallica song at those levels here and there. And yes, that first watt is what matters the most. That's primarily what you are listening to everyday. Steve Deckert from Decware came out with an article about the first watt. If the first watt sucks, why do you want more? 

morganc

« Reply #71 on: 7 Jul 2020, 03:50 pm »
For $2000, I'd go used Tekton and get the DI or Electrons.

Randy

« Reply #72 on: 7 Jul 2020, 04:04 pm »
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-40i

I have a stand mount model of these Martin Logan Motion speakers. They are sublime with the sweetest tweeter sound I've ever heard.

AvsFan

« Reply #73 on: 7 Jul 2020, 05:28 pm »
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-40i

I have a stand mount model of these Martin Logan Motion speakers. They are sublime with the sweetest tweeter sound I've ever heard.

Sweetest tweeter. What about the rest of the speaker?
Dynamic and play at concert levels without strain or distortion? That's the jist of the post.

AvsFan

« Reply #74 on: 7 Jul 2020, 05:32 pm »
For $2000, I'd go used Tekton and get the DI or Electrons.

That's a speaker line I am keeping an eye out on. If something like that from Tekton presents itself out there on the used market, I may just snatch it up. I am also in talks right now with a guy who has the PSB Stratus Gold. First editions in pristine condition. I couldn't afford them back in 98 so had to get the Stratus Silver's but man are they good!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #75 on: 7 Jul 2020, 06:26 pm »
Those BMS dual-diaphragm concentric compression drivers are very interesting.  The advantages are clear, but it does mean an extra crossover is needed compared to a single-diaphragm 1.4" compression driver, for example.  Would love to listen to a version with active crossover with no passive crossover between the amp and the dual diaphragms, preserving the astonishing 118dB sensitivity instead of padding them down to 95dB sensitivity.

Getting rid of the passive crossover doesn't 'preserve' the 118db sensitivity of the mid/high drivers.  They still have to be damped down to match the sensitivity of the bass section, whether using a passive or active. 

And that's true of any speaker - all drivers have to be damped down to match the level of whatever driver is the least sensitive in the system (usually the bass drivers).

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #76 on: 7 Jul 2020, 10:44 pm »
I don't know what the Tekton speakers sound like, many people like them a lot.

But they are not as efficient as their specs suggest.   Stereophile tested two models, both spec'ed at 97db, they tested at 91.5db and 92.5db.  So just a bit more than many other common speakers which test at 90-91db.

I would assume them to be right around 92db and plan my power needs accordingly. 

sebrof

« Reply #77 on: 7 Jul 2020, 11:01 pm »
Yeah, I've owned the M-Lore and the Pendragon. Parts and construction do seem on the cheap side. They are light in weight and the box sounds hollow as all heck. Build quality is so so. I own the other pro driver speakers out of Utah that are VERY similar. But it's a night and day difference in build quality and sound for that matter. The ZU Speakers build quality is exceptional, beautiful and very solid, nothing cheap about them the sound is better than any Tekton I have ever heard as well...
Just curious if you compared the Zu and Tekton in the same system, same time, etc. I had Tekton Lores and Zu Omens and took them to a friends house where 3 of us listened. From what we heard that day I would be surprised if anyone would prefer the Omens, but YMMV and all that.
The Zu build quality was a bit better IMO.

But they are not as efficient as their specs suggest.   Stereophile tested two models, both spec'ed at 97db, they tested at 91.5db and 92.5db.  So just a bit more than many other common speakers which test at 90-91db.

I would assume them to be right around 92db and plan my power needs accordingly.
I would agree with this, seemed like it took a good bit more juice to get them playing than I expected from a 97db speaker.

Freo-1

« Reply #78 on: 7 Jul 2020, 11:06 pm »
Keep in mind the following:

The higher the spl @ 1 watt is, the more likely it is that the speaker's frequency response curve will deviate from flat.  There is no free lunch when it comes to speaker design and performance. 

AvsFan

« Reply #79 on: 7 Jul 2020, 11:10 pm »
I don't know what the Tekton speakers sound like, many people like them a lot.

Tekton is a great speaker. And performs well above their price point. And you are correct, the sensitivity is not as good as they advertise, but still not bad.