Food Dehydrator

Don_S

Food Dehydrator
« on: 10 Sep 2019, 11:47 pm »
I have a young fig tree (Brown Turkey) that is being "the little tree that could". I can't begin to count the figs developing on it. Definitely more than I can eat fresh and more buds are starting.

Any recommendations on a a good dehydrator under $100? Far under that is even better. As the tree grows I expect even larger crops so I do want a good dehydrator. I am leery of the small plastic gizmos. I tried sun drying apricots in the past and they ended up tougher than shoe leather. Due to construction in my housing development there is too much dust to dry outside.

Any experience drying figs? Whole? Sliced? How long does a batch take?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Food Dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2019, 12:42 am »
Don,

My buddy's wife is an over-achiever when it comes to drying fruits. I'll check which brand she's got, but I know it's plastic. We borrowed it last year to dry the kazillion Sweet Fuyu Persimmons that exploded from our tree. She has dried figs for a couple years already.

Michael

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2019, 01:46 am »
I am a forager of wild mushrooms and most go to the drier.     I  also dry fruits and veggies. I have tried many dehydrators over the years.  Only one brand has held up, Excalibur.  https://excaliburdehydrator.com/  Confirmed "Audiophile Grade"!!   :lol:

Made here locally in the Sacramento, CA area.  Heavy duty build with replacement parts readily available, although, (knock on wood), I have never had to repair either one of mine. One is 10+ years old.

Harvest sale going on now.

Cheers,
Geary

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2019, 07:15 am »
I have to agree with @gaylons that if you want a quality unit, look at the Excalibur models. They are a bit more expensive, which is balanced by the excellent, even drying and durable construction.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2019, 02:34 pm »
Thanks for the tip on Excalibur. They are located very close to me but the prices are  :o

I emailed them to see if they have a display and sales area.

fridays

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2019, 02:17 am »
Are dried fruits and veggies still nutritious