How to Boil the Perfect Egg

WGH

« on: 23 Sep 2019, 06:08 pm »
Finally, after thousands of years, an answer to one of life's most enduring questions:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/dining/how-to-hard-boil-eggs.html

Chef, recipe czar, writer, and restaurant owner J. Kenji López-Alt writes about his massive quest:

"Years ago, in an effort to answer a perennial question — what’s the best way to boil an egg? — I hatched a plan using the only method I know: lots and lots of testing.

"...I decided to undertake my greatest egg-peeling experiment yet, and I have finally come up with some answers.

"Ninety-six volunteers came through my restaurant, Wursthall, in San Mateo, Calif., in August to peel and taste more than 700 eggs, cooked with various methods, making this — as verified with a cursory search online — the largest-ever double-blind egg-boiling-and-peeling experiment in the history of the universe."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: How to Boil the Perfect Egg
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2019, 06:20 pm »
It need to made an account to read it:
Log in or create a free New York Times account to continue reading in private mode.
I have just boil 30 mins 3 eggs for my night job, seems its not rocket science.

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2019, 06:46 pm »
Funny, I just hard boiled some eggs a few days ago for the first time in years

According to the article by far the two most important ways to get tender. easily peelable hard boiled eggs:

1. Put them into already hot water, starting with cold water makes them harder to peel

2. Don't boil them - steam them

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2019, 06:55 pm »
Or you can put them in an Instant pot for 5 minutes.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2019, 06:56 pm »

According to the article by far the two most important ways to get tender. easily peelable hard boiled eggs:

1. Put them into already hot water, starting with cold water makes them harder to peel

I will have to try the already hot water method. I always thought that made the eggs crack.

FullRangeMan, You boil the eggs for 30 minutes?  :scratch: Try 7 minutes.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2019, 07:48 pm »
That was a pretty OCD exercise in boiled egg technique :lol: I wondered how long they let the eggs sit in ice because I found that too little or too long in ice was bad, but around five minutes made the boiled eggs shrink away from the shell just the right amount. I'll have to try the steaming technique, never cooked them that way.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2019, 11:57 pm »
I will have to try the already hot water method. I always thought that made the eggs crack.

FullRangeMan, You boil the eggs for 30 minutes?  :scratch: Try 7 minutes.
When I do 15-20 mins they get too soft, with 25-30 mins they keep harder easy to crack.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2019, 12:03 am »

Maybe we have here a different kind of eggs or chickens, when I boil 25mins the skin comes out entirely with the shell.

sebrof

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2019, 03:28 am »
Or you can put them in an Instant pot for 5 minutes.
My wife just got an instapot...it's freakin' magic. Makes the best boiled eggs, so easy to peel.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2019, 04:02 am »
On my experience eating eggs when the egg skin is sticking its because the egg is raw.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2019, 04:08 am »
Can someone post the actual steps from the NYT article?

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2019, 04:33 am »
Can someone post the actual steps from the NYT article?

Find a lidded saucepan large enough to allow your eggs to comfortably fit on the bottom in a single layer. Add 1 inch of water, cover, and bring to a boil.

Gently lower eggs into the saucepan using a slotted spoon or a steamer basket. (It’s O.K. if the eggs are partly submerged on the bottom of the pot, or elevated on a steamer rack and not submerged at all.) Cover pan and cook eggs, adjusting the burner to maintain a vigorous boil, 6 minutes for a warm liquid yolk and firm whites, 8 1/2 minutes for a translucent, fudgy yolk, or 11 minutes for a yolk that is just barely firm all the way through.

Drain eggs, then peel and eat immediately, or transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool naturally before storing in the refrigerator for up to a week directly in their shell. (A small dot made with a permanent marker on the top of each cooked egg will ensure you don’t mix them up with the raw eggs.) Do not shock them in an ice bath after cooking; this makes them more difficult to peel.

My wife just got an instapot...it's freakin' magic. Makes the best boiled eggs, so easy to peel.

Yep.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2019, 05:47 am »
Refrigerated eggs should be placed in cold water and gradually brought up to temperature or they will crack. Once the water begins to boil, I place the lid on the pot and let them stand in the hot water for 15 to 20 minutes on a cool element. Works every time for me.  :D