Opinions wanted re MC cartridge: Hana Umami Red, or Koetsu Rosewood Standard

djbnh

We're getting a new turntable set-up shortly: Pure Fidelity Harmony turntable (that quilted maple finish is gorgeous) with an Origin Live Illustrious Tonearm Mk4. I'm looking to pair it with either the Hana Umami Red, or the Koetsu Rosewood Standard. I note my dealer is offering the Koetsu Rosewood Standard, with under 10 hours, for $2,500; the Hana Umami Red retails for $3,995.

I'm looking for informed opinions from those who have used either, or both, of the above cartridges. Thanks in advance for your replies.

marc513

I have a buddy that has that turntable same finish beautiful sounds
Incredible. He has the acoustic signature 1000 Neo arm a very nice arm .
This has to be the best looking and best sounding turntable I’ve had the
Pleasures of listening to . He has several cartridges that I can’t remember
Right now. I have no experience with the cartridges you are looking at.
Enjoy that’s a fine turntable you have and beautiful to look at.

Marc

toocool4

Since your dealer has both, go and have a listen and let your ears be the judge. That’s what I always do, I don’t part with my money on the basis of what someone else thinks.

djbnh

Since your dealer has both, go and have a listen and let your ears be the judge. That’s what I always do, I don’t part with my money on the basis of what someone else thinks.
I understand your point of view re: "let your ears be the judge", always sound advice (no pun intended). However, the dealer doesn't have all the same kit / setup as mine re: Allnic cable loom, Qualio IQ speakers, two dedicated 20A circuits for: 1) digital and 2) analog, different (lesser) arm on the Harmony TT, etc., so there's bound to be differences not due to the carts. Correspondingly I value outside opinions from others with dis-/similar kit to help better frame the discussion.

I also value the informed input of fellow AC forum members, whose advice (including your own) has been invaluable over the years and saved me $$ on my continuing audio journey.

Happy listening!

djbnh

I have a buddy that has that turntable same finish beautiful sounds
Incredible. He has the acoustic signature 1000 Neo arm a very nice arm .
This has to be the best looking and best sounding turntable I’ve had the
Pleasures of listening to . He has several cartridges that I can’t remember
Right now. I have no experience with the cartridges you are looking at.
Enjoy that’s a fine turntable you have and beautiful to look at.

Marc
Thanks Marc. The Neo arm is supposed to also be a nice piece of kit, thanks for sharing. I lived in Germany for 3 years and note the Neo is German made. Your buddy must be flu$h re: several cartridges... :D

toocool4

djbnh I understand what you are saying, but for what you are trying to do here it doesn't matter. You say you want to buy one of these cartridges, so as long as the cartridges are played in the same system with the only change being the cartridge. You will hear the difference in the cartridges and if you can't here a difference then the system is not hi-res enough to show the difference.

djbnh

djbnh I understand what you are saying, but for what you are trying to do here it doesn't matter. You say you want to buy one of these cartridges, so as long as the cartridges are played in the same system with the only change being the cartridge. You will hear the difference in the cartridges and if you can't here a difference then the system is not hi-res enough to show the difference.
toocool, the carts and the advanced tonearm for the turntable would need to be ordered by the dealer, they're not in-stock item at the dealer, in part due to $$$ and in part due to the dealer not repping the Koetsu. I don't feel that most dealers would order the three items so that a prospective buyer could test listen to two carts and possibly buy one of the carts.

In our NH area, there is one dealer that carries some of the gear - he reps the Harmony turntable and Hana cartridges; he'd have to buy the Koetsu. From the dealer's / my perspective, it's questionable if its reasonable to request the dealer: 1) purchase the Koetsu and order the Hana Umami carts, 2) purchase the advanced tonearm through Harmony, 3) remove the demo Harmony's stock tonearm install the advanced tonearm on the store's demo Harmony turntable, 4) go through the install/align for the 1st cart and have me listen, 5) tear down the 1st cart, 6) install/align the 2nd cart and have me listen, and 7) tear down the advanced tonearm and reinstall the stock tonearm. If you've got a dealer willing to do that / tie up $$$ and a lot of time to make a cart sale, that's amazing and I'm wicked happy for you. Here in NH, it's not going to happen, nor in Boston for that matter. Happy listening!

qdrone

I have owned the Umami for over a year. It's quick, extention to die for without harshness,holographic  and plenty of bass. It reminds me of  a Monster Cable Genesis 2000 which was called the poor man's Koetsu  from the mid 1980's era. The creator of that cartridge went on to create YZX cartridges. You can't go wrong with either but I believe Koetsu cartridges are music genre tailored. In other words they have a cartridge for classical music listeners, a cartridge for rock,a cartridge for jazz etc.
I bought the Hana because they are great cartridges and the reviews were outstanding.
Plenty of used Hana Reds on Hi Fi Shark or Koetsu. You might find a better Koetsu used if you plan to go to 4000. Also,10% off is minimum you should get  off for the Umami  new and that includes FREE mounting.
Good luck

qdrone

Hana is made by Excel who also make Eutsuro cartridges,the creme le creme of their cartridge line.
Here is a new Colbat Blue on ebay for 200 less than the Hana Umami. Google reviews of this cartridge.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/145383733537?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338381866&toolid=10001&customid=aa6eed1a-ad87-11ee-ad9b-393864376633

djbnh

I have owned the Umami for over a year. It's quick, extention to die for without harshness,holographic  and plenty of bass. It reminds me of  a Monster Cable Genesis 2000 which was called the poor man's Koetsu  from the mid 1980's era. The creator of that cartridge went on to create YZX cartridges. You can't go wrong with either but I believe Koetsu cartridges are music genre tailored. In other words they have a cartridge for classical music listeners, a cartridge for rock,a cartridge for jazz etc.
I bought the Hana because they are great cartridges and the reviews were outstanding.
Plenty of used Hana Reds on Hi Fi Shark or Koetsu. You might find a better Koetsu used if you plan to go to 4000. Also,10% off is minimum you should get  off for the Umami  new and that includes FREE mounting.
Good luck
Thank you for the insights, wonderful that in your experience you feel it is quick, extension to die for without harshness, holographic  and plenty of bass. If I go for the Hana ($3,950 seems to be the standard new cart price; for me, I don't want to go used for a cart), it will be 10% off and free mounting. Again, thanks for sharing. Happy listening!

qdrone

There is a NEW Umami Red on Ebay for 2995 + 20 shipping. Ask if you can pay with zelle,avoid the taxes.

qdrone

What kind of phono input do you have? SS or Tube?

djbnh

SS - MAC7200, which has a very nice MC section.
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2024, 03:00 pm by djbnh »

Matthewnz

My name is Matt, from Northern New Jersey and new to this site.
I used the Hana ML and went to the Umami Red in late 2022 when Musical Surroundings was giving full purchase credit of the ML towards the Red.  The ML gave a smooth and relaxed presentation and a real pleasure to listen to.  The Umami Red has been the same with more of a three dimensional effect by offering a more granular detail.  Both superb transducers IMO.