Super 7 Flat Packs.....

RoadTripper

Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #200 on: 15 Apr 2019, 07:20 pm »
All 8 of those clamps, apparently, have to be used simultaneously?? Would the squeeze handle type be good enough? Do all 8 have to spread 13 inches?

Captainhemo

« Reply #201 on: 15 Apr 2019, 09:30 pm »
.75"  on outer  edges,  .25 on  inner  edges

Are you  gonna have that pair of monitors ready for  LSAF  ?

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #202 on: 15 Apr 2019, 09:33 pm »
All 8 of those clamps, apparently, have to be used simultaneously?? Would the squeeze handle type be good enough? Do all 8 have to spread 13 inches?

for the main  glue up, yes, you'd be using them all at once  and I'd  saty  you  could  get  away with  7  that open   at least  13"  if yo  had a  couple  pair that  say  did  6" for the  back.
for the inner sub assembly,  you  would   not need all   7-8 pairs

Yes, the   squeeze  grip ones will do, yo don't need a ton of force to clamp these up... everytihginis   held in place via dowels you  just need to keep it all snug while it    dries
jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #203 on: 15 Apr 2019, 10:33 pm »
.75"  on outer  edges,  .25 on  inner  edges

Are you  gonna have that pair of monitors ready for  LSAF  ?

jay

Jay,

No can’t afford to build them out yet. I’ll have them by next year.

This is going to be an NX show. Danny will have the huge NX-Tremes with triple H-frames and I’ll have the diminutive Nx-Otica monitors with dual H-frames.

Mike

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #204 on: 16 Apr 2019, 01:01 am »
Jay, do you know if the the midrange drivers (Neo 10) were not available a while back and now they are?  Were they made by Bohlender Grabner?  The reason I ask is PS Audio's new speakers, the AN3, uses a midrange that looks similar to the Neo 10, but I read they are no longer available and they are going to have to come up with something else.

RoadTripper

« Reply #205 on: 16 Apr 2019, 01:02 am »
Can I assume those magnets are strictly for the grills? Do they have to be inserted from the start or can they be done after the whole assembly is completed? I don't really want grills but may want them down the road.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #206 on: 16 Apr 2019, 01:23 am »
Jay, do you know if the the midrange drivers (Neo 10) were not available a while back and now they are?  Were they made by Bohlender Grabner?  The reason I ask is PS Audio's new speakers, the AN3, uses a midrange that looks similar to the Neo 10, but I read they are no longer available and they are going to have to come up with something else.

You’re correct. There was a time after Christy Digital bought out BG that the drivers were not available. Now they are available again.

The AN3 prototype PS Audio had at Axpona has a BG Neo10 for the midrange driver.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #207 on: 16 Apr 2019, 04:39 am »
Can I assume those magnets are strictly for the grills? Do they have to be inserted from the start or can they be done after the whole assembly is completed? I don't really want grills but may want them down the road.

They are indeed for the grills but, they DO need to be installed prior to glue up.  All the holes but  2 will be  covered up ... it's up to  "you" to cover/plug the  top 2 in the upper baffle.  I left mine open in case  I ever  wanted  to add  2  rear  magnets and an upper  rear  grill...

jay

pk

« Reply #208 on: 16 Apr 2019, 07:25 am »
Hi Captainhemo,

Thanks a lot for the dimensions!

I may have missed this, but what are the magnets for?

Best regards
Peter

Just over  27.5"  (at  center of  top)  x 13" x 1".
Then you  have  a  1.25"  wing/side panel on  either  side.

Well,  you're going to need a number of clamps,  I would recommend  at minimum 8  that will open  at  leat  13" as well as  a few shorter ones you  can use to clamp  the inner sub walls/side panels at time of glue up.  More is  always  better.

For the full kit, you'll need 32  3/8x3/8 N52 cylinder magnets  as  I posted  above (link there).
You'll need a long punch of some sort  to  push the magnets ( way down into the braces and into the rear of the baffle ( these are not nearly as deep).
A hammer or rubber mallet of some sort for the above and to be sure  dowels are  seated... be gentle on the dowels.

Various grits of sandpaper,   get a few sheets of  120, 220, and 320 /devent flat  sanding block.  A couple of those  foam sanding blocks are  handy for  working the   roundovers.   How much  a person does  with regards to prep will  greatly influence  the finished cabinets.

Wood glue  and either  a small bottle of CA or  something  like  Gorilla  Glue  for magnet installation.

Another person   to help  with glue up  when the time comes

One of these days I'll post  a couexploded views , one of the  sub assembly,  one of the  full assembly to   help with  construction.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #209 on: 16 Apr 2019, 03:54 pm »
Attaching  the  grill frame(s)

jay

pk

« Reply #210 on: 16 Apr 2019, 06:49 pm »
Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #211 on: 23 Apr 2019, 05:24 pm »
Jay,

If I assembled the flat packs myself and then took them somewhere to have painted, what kind of shops would do that work?  Auto body or some other type of specialty paint place?   Before going down this road, would want to find out where this work could be done locally and get an estimate of the cost.

Jeff

Captainhemo

« Reply #212 on: 23 Apr 2019, 07:32 pm »
Yeah,  some body shops wil work with you .  We use  2 different  ones, both do   great  jobs but one guys specializes in   real custom  stuff and only shoots  House of Kolor products.  Hours add up really fast  so the  better  you can  prep the cabinets yourself,  the  less hours  they'll have to put into  prep.

We also have a   guy who specializes in  furniture repair/restoration as well as  new   windows.  he  can spray   lacquar  and still gets a  really  nice  finish but he's limited to  more  "basic"  colors.   His costs  are   lower  .
If you can't  find what you  want locally, let us know...  maybe  we can work something  out so you pick up a  finished bare cabinets

jay

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #213 on: 23 Apr 2019, 07:55 pm »
Thanks Jay

RoadTripper

« Reply #214 on: 30 Apr 2019, 11:25 am »
Roughly how many square feet of surface area on these? I'm trying to figure out how many cans of spray paint I'll need for one coat (as a baseline). Krylon Primer+Paint is about $6 a can for 25 sq feet. House of Color (see above Tangerine) is 6 times that much.  Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #215 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:37 pm »
Roughly how many square feet of surface area on these? I'm trying to figure out how many cans of spray paint I'll need for one coat (as a baseline). Krylon Primer+Paint is about $6 a can for 25 sq feet. House of Color (see above Tangerine) is 6 times that much.  Thanks.

I'm going to  guess around  25 square feet -  driver cutouts per speaker  per coat. 

Remember, if you  are   thinking of using the House of Kolor tangerine, it is a  Kandy (translucent) paint as many HOK colors are.  You need to apply a base coat then multiple layers of the  Kandy followed by a  high quality clear  like the HOK  Show Clear.

jay

AKLegal

« Reply #216 on: 30 Apr 2019, 10:10 pm »
I'm sure its been said quite a few times but Captainhemo does amazing work.  The Super 7s are my second flat pack from him and you get way more than what you pay for.

Danny Richie

« Reply #217 on: 30 Apr 2019, 10:25 pm »
I'm sure its been said quite a few times but Captainhemo does amazing work.  The Super 7s are my second flat pack from him and you get way more than what you pay for.

I second that. Everything fit excellently on the stuff I recently put together.

titaniumheads

« Reply #218 on: 1 May 2019, 02:49 pm »
I also just put together my super 7 flatpack from Jay. It was a perfect fit, I also glued it up with no help, just make sure you have plenty of clamps.

Captainhemo

« Reply #219 on: 1 May 2019, 04:09 pm »
Thanks  guys, glad they are  going together  well  for  everyone.
for you  guys who are  waiting patiently,  we apologize  for a couple   hicups  but we're making  progress on getting caught up onthese

jay