LGK 1.0 Update

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
LGK 1.0 Update
« on: 4 Sep 2018, 05:59 pm »
I've had the LGK 1.0s on my office desk for four years now (has it really been that long??).  For all this time I have been perfectly happy with them without a sub. They have shockingly good bass extension for their size and the office system is usually played at low volume as background music while I'm working. I never felt the need to buy a small sub for this system nor am I willing to give up the real estate a 12" sub would require.

That said, I have been re-purposing half the rooms in my house. One of these switches had me moving my man cave into a larger room at the other end of the house. My office was moved into the smaller room the man cave vacated. With my main system in a larger room, I finally got around to lugging the sandbox sub upstairs and into this system. That left the small 10" sealed servo (accelerometer based) Von Schweikert VR-S1 sub available. I moved it into my office system with the LGK 1.0s. As much as I liked them by themselves, they are even better with the sub, especially at lower volumes.

These speakers are small, unassuming, and don't get the love and attention the big open baffles do but for their intended purpose I haven't found anything better. They were very impressive when I first built them but even more important, they continue to impress me today, four years later. Great design, Danny :thumb:

Mike

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Re: LGK 1.0 Update
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2018, 06:10 pm »
I've had the LGK 1.0s on my office desk for four years now (has it really been that long??).  For all this time I have been perfectly happy with them without a sub. They have shockingly good bass extension for their size and the office system is usually played at low volume as background music while I'm working. I never felt the need to buy a small sub for this system nor am I willing to give up the real estate a 12" sub would require.

That said, I have been re-purposing half the rooms in my house. One of these switches had me moving my man cave into a larger room at the other end of the house. My office was moved into the smaller room the man cave vacated. With my main system in a larger room, I finally got around to lugging the sandbox sub upstairs and into this system. That left the small 10" sealed servo (accelerometer based) Von Schweikert VR-S1 sub available. I moved it into my office system with the LGK 1.0s. As much as I liked them by themselves, they are even better with the sub, especially at lower volumes.

These speakers are small, unassuming, and don't get the love and attention the big open baffles do but for their intended purpose I haven't found anything better. They were very impressive when I first built them but even more important, they continue to impress me today, four years later. Great design, Danny :thumb:

Mike

Amen.

I have loved those little speakers since the day I heard them. I agree, if you arent looking to reach above 90db without them farting out, they are so good. Toss a filter on them to remove the bass and try them with a sub, thats where they get stupid good!

I would love to see Danny come up with a little 3'' woofer to handle the low end of the LGK, that would be a sweet little desktop rig!

cody69

Re: LGK 1.0 Update
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2018, 11:21 pm »
I too am really fond of the LGKs. I spend time (too much) at the computer and have a pair for listening to audio... and for this, they really shine.
Sourced from iMac->Dragonfly(USB)->TPA3116->LGKs. Really nice setup that continues to amaze me.

I also built a pair to enhance the sound of a flat-screen TV I use when exercising in home gym. I found the SQ of the TV speakers really lacking, and the LGKs present a sound stage that is quite impressive. Here I run a cable from TV output->TPA3110->LGKs. This setup lacks the volume control of the remote, but the SQ more than makes up for it.

Mike, I like your idea of adding a sub -- I've thought about this some, but haven't found good plans for a small unit.