Raise that Sub!

skifasterslc

Raise that Sub!
« on: 5 Oct 2021, 08:41 pm »
I added a SVS SB2000 pro to my system a few months ago and it has been a nice addition to my RCF Ayra Pro8 monitors.  After watching this video on youtube, I became curious (read obsessed) about getting the sub off the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoMeyLeHF0w&t=14s

I wanted something cheap and cheerful and of course SOLID, I noticed some metal step plyometric boxes at my gym and started hunting.  I found one at amazon for way less than $100 that was 18” tall and the top plate was 14”x14”- an exact fit for my SVS sub.  To my ears the sub is better integrated with the mains, vary pleased with the results and I think it looks great.  Now I need to add SVS footers or some such isolation to address the vibration traveling to the stand. 

dynaflo

Re: Raise that Sub!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2021, 09:01 pm »
I've thought about using those step boxes for my main speaker stands.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 10:01 pm »
Your solution may create more problems than it solves. Once you isolate the sub from the platform, that metal stand is still gonna resonate like crazy and the sub will rattle because it's less stable than setting on the floor. The stand should be decoupled from the floor, too. Then there's aesthetics, wire management, etc. To minimize vibrations, what you really want are thick walls and plenty of bracing, and 99% of commercially available subs aren't built that way. 

Also note that the guy in your video has an ulterior motive -- to sell you one of his subwoofer platforms that costs more than your sub:  https://www.acousticfields.com/product/subwoofer-platform-absorber/

Yeah, getting the sub off the floor is a good idea, but isolation devices are sufficient and low cost. 

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2021, 12:17 am »

Dual 10s raised in the media room - of course wifey uses them for plant stands  ;-} OC 703 under the wood table top....

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2021, 11:24 am »
Doesn't raising the sub create an enormous floor bounce?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2021, 02:38 pm »
Doesn't raising the sub create an enormous floor bounce?

The only time I'd recommend raising the sub is if you are using a swarm approach.  In that case I'd have 2 or 3 subs dispersed around the room, all on the floor, and then a 4th sub raised up along one of the walls. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2021, 12:57 pm »
The only time I'd recommend raising the sub is if you are using a swarm approach.  In that case I'd have 2 or 3 subs dispersed around the room, all on the floor, and then a 4th sub raised up along one of the walls.

Yes, I agree with that.  None of the pics in this thread display a swarm system.  I calculated the bounce with some guestimate dimensions based on the pics and perhaps it's a non issue, I got between 220hz and 290hz which should be far above the cutoff frequency for most all subs.  I often overlook things, am I missing anything here?

oskar

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2021, 04:33 pm »
What about using IsoAcoustic sub stands? They raise the sub 4-5".
Would that create adverse effects re floor bounce?