Unifield 2 Signature Report

jbr

Unifield 2 Signature Report
« on: 11 Jul 2016, 12:55 am »
I have been listening, for the last several weeks, to my new Unifield 2 Signature speakers. This was the main part of my "final", lol, system upgrade. Included in the upgrade were Masterbuilt Signature series speaker cables, two pair of Masterbuilt Signature series interconnects (amp to preamp and preamp to cd player) and a new Audio Alchemy phono stage with the optional power supply. My previous speakers were plain Unifield 2, no slouch by the way.

I gotta tell you, to understate it a bit, the listening has been very satisfying. I'm not good at describing sound in audiophile terms, like an audio magazine scribe might. Nor do I understand what they are saying, most of the time, All I can say is that the detail, clarity, and accuracy of sound I'm hearing is superb. Whether it's from vinyl, cd, or even, on occasion, a cassette, the musical reproduction has me shaking my head in disbelief. I truly feel I have the best sounding one bedroom apartment anywhere, lol. Thank you Von Schweikert Audio, Masterbuilt, and Audio Alchemy.

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Re: Unifield 2 Signature Report
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:40 am »
Hello JBR,

Thanks for your progress report on your new SIGNATURE version of our UniField Two's. We heard from your dealer that you greatly enjoyed your "standard" Uni Two's, so we were glad that you wanted to hear how much better the SIGNATURE's would sound. Congratulations that you trusted your dealer enough to order these extremely expensive speakers without an audition!

Although the Uni 2 SIGNATURE is not yet shown on our website, we have been building  his model for our wealthy but space-challenged Asian Distributors since 2013.  As you know by experience, the "standard" version is very good - so good that we have never seen a used pair for sale. The four or five times we played them at shows was very entertaining - we saw people looking behind the curtain for the "hidden" subwoofer (which we do not use with this model)!

As you can see by looking at the drivers, they're quite different, being fabricated from ceramic-coated magnesium. These cones are far stiffer and lighter than the standard aluminum woofer and TPX plastic BBC midrange cone. These dual layer cones respond to the musical waveforms more accurately and hence, sound 'faster,' more detailed, and richer in harmonics. The midrange driver is especially a true wonder, being able to mimic a female voice or a grand piano, with amazing richness and musicality. There were times when I got goosebumps listening late at night in the dark during the development of this model. I kept thinking that my old Quad electrostatic speakers were not this dynamic or as exciting to listen to!

Last, but not least, the heroic parts we use in the SIGNATURES are crazily expensive, costing more than some finished systems. However, the realism and truly transparent sound is partly based on these parts. We also use the Master-Built Signature wire internally, along with WBT NextGen premium binding posts. 

Thanks for supporting our line of products, and as always,

Happy Listening!

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2016, 03:59 am »
I dare ask to share a picture!

jbr

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2016, 04:40 am »
I'm not a good photographer, but here is a picture of the setup.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2016, 05:08 am »
No sweat, it makes perfect sense the way Albert describes it. I had been wondering if they were like the u3's, which is larger. It's good to know that you're extremely pleased, it's encouraging if you don't have a lot of space.

I found some pictures that show off the nice finish. http://audiofederation.com/blog/2015/06/08/constellation-audio-von-schweikert-audio-master-built-audio-cables-newport-2015

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:59 pm »
I'm not a good photographer, but here is a picture of the setup.

I love that amp and pre

BigSwede

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm »
Hey look, a wall mounted turntable...I'm suddenly flashing back to my days in college (just before CDs came out) and our struggles to keep the phonograph from skipping every time my iron-heeled roommate walked by.

gammajo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2016, 02:39 am »
Nice system - congratulations!

jbr

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2016, 08:38 pm »
Thank you.