Has Anyone Heard The Infinity IRS's In PS Audio Room 1

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Just wondering if anyone has heard their system? Fun to see a 30 year old speaker still kicking @ss. Sound stage would be too narrow for me from what I see, but everything else looks good. Well, actually, room is too small as well, but life's a compromise. If I ever RV down that way I will have to stop in.

Used to own the early PS audio III and IV preamps as well as moving coil amp and their mono blocks back in the day.

Rocket Ronny

JCarney

Re: Has Anyone Heard The Infinity IRS's In PS Audio Room 1
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2018, 08:30 pm »
I heard them a few years ago shortly after Paul and company got them set up and mostly dialed in, but not completely. They sounded really good. Not as narrow a stage as you might think. The bass was very nice, but a bit much on some stuff due to the size of the room. I know the wiring has been replaced since then and other changes in gear and so on. How they sound now, I cannot speak to, but I would guess better than when I heard them.

JCarney

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2018, 08:38 pm »
Not to mention they're moving to a new and bigger facility across the street.

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/tour-ps-audios-new-building/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm »
Not to mention they're moving to a new and bigger facility across the street.

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/tour-ps-audios-new-building/
I dont see any tour photos or video in this link :scratch:

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:44 pm »
I dont see any tour photos or video in this link :scratch:
No idea why. I just clicked on the link again and video is first thing on the first page.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:50 pm »
No idea why. I just clicked on the link again and video is first thing on the first page.
With IE-11 video appear ok.
That is a nice building :))
Thanks

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:53 pm »
With IE-11 video appear ok.
That is a nice building :))
Thanks
Yes, PS Audio seems to be thriving  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2018, 12:11 am »
Too bad Paul lost the anechoic chamber.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2018, 12:31 am »
I think they will make up for any loss in the new building.  I believe Paul is planning multiple listening rooms and a recording room/studio as well.  The move starts in earnest in August last I heard.  Plenty of info on their site or in that video I suspect.  I have been in Music Room 1 a few times. It sounds pretty awesome and so it should. Kinda a smaller room for equipment that size but the new building should take care of any size constraints. PSA is now working on Octave (streamer) and their own speakers. Sales went nuts Q4-Q2 about as they had a promotion on BHK stuff.  They did just announce a new line of power conditioners. P12,15 and 20 I believe. You can grab a used P10 now for a good bargain.  Also the Stellar line (m700s etc) are a great value.  They are good folks too. A building that size (right across the street btw) has got to be pricy.  Hopefully they thrive with the increase in overhead.....Time will tell.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2018, 01:21 am »
Yes, PS Audio seems to be thriving  :thumb:
IIRC Paul said $4-$5M. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2018, 02:10 am »
I had a doctor client that owned the exact same system that Harry Pearson owned back in the 80's.. He had a fairly large room, but the IRS system sounded quite sluggest with the ARC equipment. I imagine the PS Audio equipment sounds a lot better and faster than the older ARC  electronics did.

As big as the speakers are, I doubt if any room would be too large. But in a small room, they are way too big. SQ would suffer quite a bit.

If Paul had not come back to PS, I doubt if PS would still exist.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2018, 07:23 pm »
I heard them a few years ago shortly after Paul and company got them set up and mostly dialed in, but not completely. They sounded really good. Not as narrow a stage as you might think. The bass was very nice, but a bit much on some stuff due to the size of the room. I know the wiring has been replaced since then and other changes in gear and so on. How they sound now, I cannot speak to, but I would guess better than when I heard them.

I second what Jody said. I've heard them a couple of times and each time the bass could be a bit much but otherwise it sounded very nice.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2018, 12:55 am »
Those are servo woofers with their own amp, and I assume volume control. So too much bass is a preference. Kinda like my truck system. Bass is too much but sure is fun.

Rocket Ronny

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2018, 01:14 am »
What was the bass range these bass towers operate?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2018, 01:59 am »
The IRS Reference V frequency response spec is 15Hz to 45KHz.

The sub section is 15Hz to 70Hz from the info on the website.  No response tolerance is given.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2018, 02:05 am »
Thanks Hal, 70Hz seems too low for that ribbons :scratch: