New Pioneer UHD-LX800 In The House!!!

Phil A

Re: New Pioneer UHD-LX800 In The House!!!
« Reply #40 on: 10 Dec 2018, 02:27 pm »
Here's the owner of the NY HT Dealer indicating the LX800 is not coming to the US (post number 145, 9-14-18)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=307880&page=8

There are more posts in the above thread thru the beginning of December with nothing to refute the NY HT dealer's comments.

modwright

« Reply #41 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:13 pm »
Interesting.  I can think of no reason for it not to be released in the U.S. Any reason given for this by anyone?

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:19 pm »
Interesting.  I can think of no reason for it not to be released in the U.S. Any reason given for this by anyone?

Dan - have not seen any reason.  One could call Value Electronics (I posted the link) and ask for the dealer (Robert Zohn).  I'd guess that if there is no announcement at CES next month (January 8 thru 11), given the announcements outside the US, it would be a good indication that the lack of a US release in probable.

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:21 pm »
His email is apparently rzohn@valueelectronics.com and he posts on many HT forums.

modwright

« Reply #44 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:26 pm »
Thx. I will email him directly.

modwright

« Reply #45 on: 28 Dec 2018, 01:56 am »
OK, digging into this today, after letting it burn in and getting used to it.

First of all, this thing is BUILT! I spent time yesterday, removing all of the covers and inspecting the transformer, drive, video processor and video supply.

1) The linear supply is powered by an EI core transformer, nicely made! This transformer is completely shielded!
2) The video processor is completely shielded and self contained.
3) The drive is not only completely shielded, but fully insulated against all vibration via soft damping material in apparently every axis! Never seen this before! It IS dead silent for a reason and this also equates to lower jitter and greater overall performance for audio and video!
4) The power supply for the audio circuitry is purely linear and all sourced from the transformer. The ONLY thing that is powered by the SMPS is the video circuitry. Even the DAC and all digital circuitry appears to be powered by the LPS for this unit!

DAC is 9026PRO from ESS (SABRE)

As expected, I-V, gain/buffer, filtering and summing circuitry for XLR-RCA outs are all accomplished by Burr Brown op-amps. Good op-amps, but I am not a fan of them. I don't like op-amps because they are inherently feedback based devices. I prefer Class A tube circuitry with zero feedback, typically aided by inductive reactive devices such as chokes and transformers. To my ears, the purest sound is achieved in this way!

I am next going to look at how best to take the audio signal from the SABRE DAC, without the use of any op-amps. I expect this input circuitry will be similar to how we achieve the same result from the Oppo 205 mod. Why? Because it SIMPLY WORKS and sounds amazing with very low noise floor!

More to come, but I wanted to share my thoughts here.

Now because this unit is not currently available in the U.S. right now, I am also VERY interested in the LX500 that IS available in the U.S.!

Now the LX500 has no Linear power supply for audio and uses the AKM DAC chip. My proposed solution for this model is to build our own audio LPS unit inside the LX500 and also install our own audio PCB internally, for a true on-box solution!  There is enough room to do this and the AKM DAC chip is very good!

If this interests you and you have a LX500, please let me know!

Thanks,

Dan

Tommy123

« Reply #46 on: 28 Dec 2018, 02:38 am »
Dan, looks like the LX800 will not be available in North America. I would be interested in the 1 box LX500 if it can surpass the OPPO 205.

modwright

« Reply #47 on: 28 Dec 2018, 03:41 pm »
I believe that it can surpass the 205, but the feature set is different.

No MCH analog outs and the digital input options are different than the Oppo.  This is why I need to know what the level of interest in this mod is.

Thanks,

Dan

RPM123

« Reply #48 on: 28 Dec 2018, 04:22 pm »
The Oppo 205 has the better 9038 DAC (140 dB dynamic range) vs. the Panasonic 9026 DAC (124 dB dynamic range.)

Excerpt from "From "Vinyl to Plastic" article:

"With Oppo now fading into the dust there are several 4K UHD audiophile player contenders to replace their infamous 203 and 205, or are there? In my opinion none of the current batch of audiophile players can ‘hold a candle’ to the audio performance of the Oppo 205. Each contender has a number of significant deficiencies in terms of their hardware, ability to handle files, I/O connectivity and supported formats. Interestingly, these new players, like the 203 and 205, also have either none or a very restricted support for web apps.

Pioneer is releasing two 4K UHD Blu-ray players that are squarely aimed at the audiophile, just like the Panasonic UB9000.

The Pioneer UDP-LX500 seems to be aimed at audiophiles but with significantly less functionality than the Oppo 205. It is essentially a 203 with improved stereo only audio playback.

The Pioneer UDP-LX800 is their new flagship player aimed at audiophiles at a similar level to the Oppo 205. However it has notable differences in both its estimated pricing and features. Its audio DACs are also a small step down from those found in the 205. It too only supports stereo audio playback.

Neither player supports MQA disc or file playback nor contains any form of Dolby or DTS decoders so there are no 5.1 or 7.1 analog outputs.

It should also be noted that the improved jitter reduction function, Precision Quartz Lock System (PQLS), ONLY works when a compatible Pioneer receiver is connected to the players via the HDMI connections."

"If we just look at analog stereo outputs then clearly the UDP LX800 is a contender to replace the Oppo 205. However you must look closely at its connectivity and format support. The LX500 does provide an improved DAC over the 203 and the UB9000 however, as with the LX800 you must carefully review the other players parameters before deciding whether it is the right player for you. There are significant connectivity and format support differences between these players at each of their respective levels. All players DAC’s provide support for a range of different audio filter characteristics, some of which are supported by the players."

modwright

« Reply #49 on: 7 Jan 2019, 05:14 pm »
Sorry guys, have been away from the site for a while. I got a unit from the UK.

I have now installed a tube analog stage in the first unit and it sounds fantastic!

As for North American Availability, I just don't  know. It seems inconceivable to me that they will not release in the U.S. and Canada, but I honestly don't know.

I am planning a mod for the LX-500 however, including an internal power supply and tube analog stage. The lack of umbilical and external supply will keep the cost down.

modwright

« Reply #50 on: 23 Jan 2019, 10:47 pm »
This mod is complete and the first will ship Friday!

I ended up using the UDP-205 tube mod because it simply works! The LX-800's use of the SABRE DAC chip and fully balanced outputs proved to be ideal.

Now the frustrating part: It is not and will not be available in N. America at 120V! This has been confirmed!

Mod Price: $2500

I will post my listening impressions by Friday, comparing it to a fully modified UDP-205!

I am also starting work on a mod for the Pioneer LX-500 that IS available in N. America for about $995. This mod will be less expensive because our own power supply and new analog stage will all be installed inside the Pioneer.

Tommy123

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2019, 12:59 am »
So the LX800 mod will have an external power supply like many previous OPPO mods?

Are you able to purchase the LX800 from a 120V country (maybe Asia?) and ship it to the customer once the mod is completed?

modwright

« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2019, 04:22 pm »
So far, I am only aware of 240V units being available anywhere. Taiwan would be the exception to this, possibly. I have not checked this.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2019, 07:36 pm »
Pioneer UHD LX-800 Mod Details and Impressions: Final Answer!

OK guys, so the first LX-800 mod is complete and ready to be shipped off today. It is excellent!

But first the details that are frustrating:
It is not and will not be available in North America!
It can be sourced from Asia through Japan (100V). I am not sure if this will operate properly at 120V, but since Taiwan is bringing them in from Japan, I would assume so.
We will not be purchasing them from Aisa. This will be something that the customer must do if they want a 120V (100V) unit.
The LX-500 is available in the U.S. So, one would assume that drives and such parts could be sourced in the U.S., but I don't know how readily available these parts are.
The LX-500 and LX-800 have PHENOMENAL drives that are SO WELL damped, insulated, isolated and protected from vibration that it is brilliant.
But, the digital input connectivity is limited to USB for static external USB storage, such as USB thumb drive or external HD.
There is no computer USB input, so no Roon or other server connectivity.
There is an ethernet network connection, but I am not sure how or if this can be used for music playback.

I did not evaluate the video playback, so I have not comment on this.

I did however, listen to CD playback and here is where I am IMPRESSED!!!

I used the exact same mod circuit as we implement in the Oppo UDP-205 mods. It is fully balanced in to out and features a well regulated, tube rectified external power supply.
Because the Pioneer uses a SABRE DAC chip (different than in the 205), the interface to our mods was the same. I did have to adjust the gain a bit because the DAC in the Pioneer had greater current output levels.

Listening impressions:

Music that I used for evaluation: "Take Dake with Neptune, Asian Roots".
Huge Soundstage and sense of space.
Excellent Decay.
Excellent low level detail from a VERY black background.
Authority and Tonality!
Big and Deep image!
Texture, impact, separation.
Rich tonality.

The sense of space, scale, micro and macro detail are truly staggering! The music emerges from SUCH a black background! I attribute this to the non-resonant chassis construction and drive treatment. The audio power supplies are also entirely from a linear power supply with dedicated transformer windings for analog and digital supplies.
The analog stage PCB is also laid out on a 6-layer PCB, so an excellent job of shielding and noise suppression is obviously done here also!

Is it a great unit stock? YES!
Is it a phenomenal unit with our mods? YES!

If you are not in North America, you can certainly access the unit and send it to us!
If you are in North American, you can still source a 240V  unit and use it with a step-down voltage converter. This is how I did all of my listening.
We will not be sourcing or supplying these players, but we will be offering mods for them.

Pioneer LX-800 Mod Cost: $2500, to include external power supply, Truth umbilical and installation of our own fully balanced, Lundahl transformer coupled analog stage.
Bybee rails not an option.
Return shipping not included in the price.

PLEASE NOTE: I ALSO HAVE A LX-500 IN FOR MODS AND I WILL SHARE MY IMPRESSIONS WHEN IT IS COMPLETE! IT HAS ROOM FOR AN INTERNAL SUPPLY. IT WILL BE A ONE-BOX SOLUTION AND THE MOD COST WILL BE LOWER. DAC CHIP IS AKM, SO THE MOD CIRCUIT WILL BE DIFFERENT!

Tommy123

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jan 2019, 03:41 am »
Thanks for the update Dan! Now I look forward to the LX500 mod. I think this will be the one to get for NA customers.

Tommy123

« Reply #55 on: 23 Mar 2019, 01:07 am »
Which audiophile transformer is good for the LX800 to be used in North America?