GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

sts9fan

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #1040 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:23 am »
The fact is people would kill for his buzz but he cannot work it.   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1041 on: 26 Jul 2011, 04:33 am »
I'd like to step in here before anyone gets too emotional over any of the several issues in play on the thread presently.  So far everyone's been fairly respectful of each other and I'd like to see it continue, so a gentle reminder to do so might be in order, thanks for your forbearance.

As for Dr. Geddes' business model, he is quite clear that presently it's like any craftsman building products to order, one or two at a time and the waiting list is long.  I fail to see the difficulty in accepting this.  He fully recognizes that this is not the best way to run a speaker company and lists the reasons why he's unwilling and/or unable to change things at the present time.  Am I missing something here?

JohnR

« Reply #1042 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:13 am »
Well, for one thing, this is a non-commercial area of the site, yet Geddes is continuing to use it as a platform for his promotional activities. Not very sportsmanlike.

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #1043 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:55 am »
Lord knows many of us small business owners trying to make a living in audio would love to be in Earl's position with a huge backlog of orders.

Interested forum dwellers should remember quite a few things about Earl's products (such as the Constant Directivity horns and high efficiency drivers) can be found in designs from other manufacturers. Of course some of Earl's tech with the specific horn design is unique to him, but then other companies also have things that are unique to them too.

Some other ideas if the waiting list is too long:

Audiokinesis (e.g. the Jazz, which is less than a pair of Abbey's), which has already been mentioned and I have heard very good things about from my friends in the acoustics community.

PHC (Professional Home Cinema, the designer is none other than Paul Hales, who some of you may remember from 10yrs ago) who have been quietly making digitally crossed over home theater systems for many years now and have come up with a few new models recently at much lower price points, some of which are definitely suitable for home audio use. A model equivalent to the Abbey, the SCR12sm is around 25% more expensive than the assembled Abbey.

Also I believe one of the smallest Danley horns (SM-60M) is at a similar price point.

All other options worth investigating. PHC I am more familiar with, Danley and AudioKinesis less so. Jeff Hedback is a good person to ask about AudioKinesis.

Bjorn

« Reply #1044 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:24 am »
Since this thread is really about Abbey's, I've started a new thread to discuss Geddes speakers and the design in general.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96950.new#new

JohnR

« Reply #1045 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:32 am »
Oh for fuck's sake. More bloody Geddes threads. He can't deliver anyway, what's the point??

Bjorn

« Reply #1046 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:40 am »
Oh for fuck's sake. More bloody Geddes threads. He can't deliver anyway, what's the point??
jtwrace, who started this thread, is indicated clearly that this primarly about his speakers. It's also not about Geddes speaker in general. And the other thread is about Summas. So, I would say there's a need for a thread about all Geddes speakers.

If Geddes speakers don't interestest you, you can simply stay away from the threads. I would appreciate if you can delete your message in the thread I started. It has no purpose.

JohnR

« Reply #1047 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:44 am »
Well, I would appreciate it if Geddes would follow the conventions and expectations of this site, and use the commercial areas as per the setup and overall guidelines. Then you guys who want to be his evangelists can post there, and those of us who are not interested can use our ignore lists, and we will all be happy.

Bjorn

« Reply #1048 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:50 am »
Well, I would appreciate it if Geddes would follow the conventions and expectations of this site, and use the commercial areas as per the setup and overall guidelines. Then you guys who want to be his evangelists can post there, and those of us who are not interested can use our ignore lists, and we will all be happy.
I've started the thread, not Geddes, to discuss his speakers and design. I don't see the problem. Is it not allowed to discuss and share experiences of a speaker brand with other people here?

And why the negative tone?

JohnR

« Reply #1049 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:58 am »
Yes but, inevitably, Geddes will join in and use it to his advantage. After all, it's free, so why not.

Regarding negative tone - well, I have been doing this for many many years now and am pretty much fed up with people who value themselves over anyone else. Hope that is clear enough.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #1050 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm »
Holy Moly!!!! :o

I had no idea my post about my nine+ month wait would spark such a spirited debate.  In any case, I am fine with Earl Geddes' business model.  It wouldn't be my model but I am sure that he is trying to get a faster turn around on his speakers.

I spent quite some time reading the links to what Rajacat listed and found them facinating. 

Again, it is my choice whether or not I want to wait so long to receive my Abbey's and have that amount of money tied up. Earl has no problem refunding my deposit if that is my direction.

Since this thread is really about Abbey's, I've started a new thread to discuss Geddes speakers and the design in general.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96950.new#new

Once again, I will point you to this thread in the "Products Support" area... :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.0

Regards,

Randy

JohnR

« Reply #1051 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:02 pm »
Did I miss something or don't you have $5000 tied up, not $1700?

Bjorn

« Reply #1052 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:06 pm »

Once again, I will point you to this thread in the "Products Support" area... :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.0

Regards,

Randy
I've seen the thread, but it's about Summa. So I don't think it serves the purpose. But perhaps Earl Geddes could change the topic?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #1053 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:15 pm »
Did I miss something or don't you have $5000 tied up, not $1700?

You put down a deposit. Not the total amount. So yes, you missed something.

Anand.

JohnR

« Reply #1054 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:22 pm »
OK. So a year to wait for a kit? Is that about the status?

2bigears

« Reply #1055 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:30 pm »
 :D  i bought Super V's because wait times in this day and age are simply out of the question.plus i want to hear that bass  V's make....lost a customer here as i would like to hear these,but will not wait 10 months...... :D

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #1056 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:31 pm »
OK. So a year to wait for a kit? Is that about the status?

Yup.

I had my deposit in December 2010. Am I worried I won't get my money back? Nope. I've got a center Abbey, 4 Harpers and 2 subs on order.

When will they arrive? When they do. I'm comfortable with that for now.

Anand.

JohnR

« Reply #1057 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:32 pm »
Yup.

I had my deposit in December 2010. Am I worried I won't get my money back? Nope. I've got a center Abbey, 4 Harpers and 2 subs on order.

When will they arrive? When they do. I'm comfortable with that for now.

Anand.

I thought you already had something.

Bear

« Reply #1058 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:48 pm »
could the baffles/WAVEGUIDE be fashioned from cultured marble?  Geddes could then farm it out to a likely to be starving cultured marble shop.  The entire front baffle could be done one piece, require no additional finishing.   Geddes should also significantly lower his kit price....he would likely turn a much higher volume to the point of higher gross profit.  The diy'er really only needs his waveguide, box dimensions and crossover schematic anyway.   The diy crowd is about to push him in to obsolescence anyway....have you seen the new waveguides they have on the group buys?  Very impressive fr graphs.   A nine month wait is excessive...no product can survive that kind of lead time, especially technology.....

or maybe not.....idrgara.

edit: baffle/WAVEGUIDE
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2011, 02:57 pm by Bear »

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #1059 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:55 pm »
I thought you already had something.

Yes I have a pair of Abbeys (they took 8 months to arrive).

But I am building a full theater.

Anand.