GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #1000 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:06 am »
Of the original CLS or the IIz which did you like better, and give me your opinion on how you think they would sound using the multi sub set up.

Dan

To stay on topic of the thread, I'll PM you.

dwr

« Reply #1001 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:10 am »
Yep good idea

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1002 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:11 am »
i have heard original m-l cls', and i thought they were excellent, for low-key low-level music.  i actually considered buying a pair at one point, thinking that, actively crossed over to my upright-style megawoofered vmps subs at ~80hz, it might improve on the cls' dynamics and ultimate loudness.  gayle sanders himself told me that, even when crossed as high as 100hz w/a 24db/octave active x-over, the cls's will never go louder than ~93db.  so, that ended my desire to own cls'...

ymmv,

doug s.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #1003 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:38 pm »
Hi Shane,

I don't know of any Maggie to Abbey comparisons out there, myself I used to own Martin Logan electrostatics (Ascent i) and Linkwitz Orions before my Abbey 12A speakers. With the Logans, I could never get the bass to "match up" with the panels to my liking at all. The mid range was just excellent and I had no complaints there at all. The Orions just did not play loud well at all. Lower volume jazz and the such sounded real good but when you really stepped on the gas with the Orions it just wasn't good at all. Now that I have the multi sub system set up I have my eye open for a pair of Martin Logan CLS originals or IIz, I want to hear how they sound with the multi sub system. No I would not get rid of the Abbeys, they are here to stay for the duration, I just really want to hear how a pair of CLS stats sound with the multiple subs.

Dan   
What about a piston source dipole with the same type of sensitivity and lack of compression at high levels like the Abbeys? Did you try anything like that?

cheers,

AJ

dwr

« Reply #1004 on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:11 pm »
Hi AJ

No I didn't because I found what I was looking for with the Abbeys.  :)

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1005 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm »
Here's a picture of my Harpers. Still waiting for Abbeys and bandbass subs.

Did you get your Abbeys and sub yet? 

dynaflo

« Reply #1006 on: 24 Jul 2011, 04:50 pm »
Speaking of waiting how about hearing from some others with Gedlee speakers on order on how long your wait has been.  I've been waiting for a little over 8 months for my Abbeys and still don't have a clear start date.

Bjorn

« Reply #1007 on: 24 Jul 2011, 04:57 pm »
No. Just asked Earl Geddes about them, and was told the subs were soon ready but not the Abbeys. Earl has had to mount the woofer in a different way. My Harpers came damaged with the woofer deattached and so have other speakers he has shipped. They're only glued and that's not strong enough support.

This is part of the reason why I haven't commented on my Harpers yet. I've remounted them, but one has some resonances. I haven't had time to look more into it lately. Not fun.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1008 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:14 pm »
They're only glued and that's not strong enough support.

Surely this can't be the case?!?!?  There aren't any screws holding the drivers in place?  I'd be interested in hearing more about this, I'm sure Dr Geddes has strong opinions about any construction techniques he uses.  Thanks for you replies.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1009 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:59 pm »
Speaking of waiting how about hearing from some others with Gedlee speakers on order on how long your wait has been.  I've been waiting for a little over 8 months for my Abbeys and still don't have a clear start date.

My Abbeys and subs took just over 3 months.  They arrived in perfect condition but I wasnt' surprised as the packing was impressive.  I actually emailed Dr. Geddes and told hiim how impressed I was with the packing before hooking them up.  It was that impressive. 

I'm sure you have seen this: http://gedlee.com/Apology.htm
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2011, 07:24 pm by jtwrace »

Bjorn

« Reply #1010 on: 24 Jul 2011, 07:49 pm »
Surely this can't be the case?!?!?  There aren't any screws holding the drivers in place?  I'd be interested in hearing more about this, I'm sure Dr Geddes has strong opinions about any construction techniques he uses.  Thanks for you replies.
Sorry. I meant screws with glue. But no clams. Just the glue to hold the screws and driver in place. Earl is moving towards clams behind the driver now. So that should definetly take care of it. No need to worry from now on.
I'm not DIYer, but I'm surprised clams wasn't used in the first place. The woofer is heavy and in shipment the box can get hits.

Bjorn

« Reply #1011 on: 24 Jul 2011, 08:33 pm »
I'm sure you have seen this: http://gedlee.com/Apology.htm
I hadn't seen that before. Isn't this the third price raise within 6 months? The speakers are starting to cost quite a bit.

I have ordered my Geddes speaker for a hometheater setup (I have another setup for hifi) and haven't ordered a center speaker yet. I was planning to buy a center speaker when I move. That Abbey center speaker is going to cost me more then expected now.

Hmmm. We should probably start a thread for Geddes speakers in general.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #1012 on: 25 Jul 2011, 05:14 pm »
Hmmm. We should probably start a thread for Geddes speakers in general.

Hi Bjorn:

Welcome to Audio Circle!  :D  Below is a link to a somewhat lengthy thread on Earl's speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.760

Randy

dwr

« Reply #1013 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:24 pm »
Hi Randy,

Hey did you ever get To Earls to have a listen to the speakers??

Dan

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #1014 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:33 pm »
Hi Dan:

I was not able to make the trip to Michigan before Earl left for China.  I did speak to Earl two days ago and was told that my waiting time for my Abbeys will be at least nine months as there are close to 30 people ahead of my order.  :o :(

Only I can decide whether or not to have $1,700 hanging out there for such a long period of time.

Regards,

Randy

sts9fan

« Reply #1015 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm »
As an owner of Gedlee speakers I can tell you they are good.  Are they 9 month good?  Maybe so maybe not.  Also you know deep down you will not have your speakers inside a year.  There are many great speaker companies out there that "function" better and do not put out the customer like that.   Outsourcing the cab construction is is imvho a no brainer
and people would be glad to absorb the cost for a set of speakers within a month. 
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 09:20 pm by sts9fan »

jackman

« Reply #1016 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:22 pm »
I hope to hear Geddes speakers sometime.  I'm extremely happy with the performance of my current system, it is finally dialed in the way I like it, but it would be interesting to hear Geddes' speakers because his approach is different than other speaker manufacturers.  I'm not a DIY guy and finished speakers are my only option at this point.  Earl's new cabinets look pretty cool.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the recent price increases may have priced me out of the market even if I do like them.  Geddes has lots of very happy customers and he is a very bright guy, so he must be doing something right!  I look forward to hearing the speakers in the Chicago area soon.  Anyone in the Western suburbs please drop me a PM.   :thumb:

Cheers,
J

dwr

« Reply #1017 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:43 pm »
Well sts9fan how bout you lets us all know just what those other speakers are that are the equal to the Abbey 12As for the same price NEW, because I sure haven't found them. While I agree that it is a shame that the wait is that long. I don't understand the logic of the time of wait making the speaker "worth it" either the speaker is the best you can find in your price range or it isn't the wait time has nothing to do with that. As for your last sentence I have no idea what you are trying to say with that.

Dan

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #1018 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:55 pm »
AudioKinesis (http://www.audiokinesis.com/) builds speakers that are similar to Gedlee speakers. I'm not sure what the waiting time is but I doubt that it's 9 months.

If you're into DIY, you might want to look at Econowaves. You might be able to find someone to assemble some for you.

There's a ongoing group buy happening here   http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291022&page=43 and here    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/182279-official-group-buy-autotech-waveguides-2.html#post2582647. This group buy is for the waveguides and is a collaborative effort with possible  group buys for the other components. If you go on those forums you might get someone to help you build a pair or find someone to build them for you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1019 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:09 pm »
Or you can check out Duke's speakers - AuioKinesis - they use many of the same design principles and approach as Geddes and are among the best speakers I've ever heard (that includes the Gedlee's). 

Edit - Doh - I shoulda read rajacat's post first :P