I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Super 3 XRS speakers

munsell

I just wanted to swing by and say that I just pulled the trigger on a new pair of Super 3 XRSs.  My room is a bit on the small side and I prefer near field listening so I have high hopes for the XRSs =)  My hope is that they will be non-fatiguing, image like mad (I do like the smaller fostex drivers) and play sweet, sweet music.  :D   Louis has been a pleasure to deal with so far and has anwered all of my many questions.  I have opted for the Mahogany finish without the chamfer.  It appears that Louis is just starting to carry the Mahogany veneer and according to his description (deep red, beautiful figure with a semi-gloss finish) they should look outstanding.  I plan on mating the speakers with a 2A3/45 Moth Audio/Eddie Current tube amp.  I hope that this combo really sounds outstanding.  I will post pics when they arrive and post some listening impressions after they have broken in for a bit.

Dmason

« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2006, 12:54 pm »
Outstanding, Congrats!!

Is Craig Uther making more of those 2A3's? Many have posted that that was the best 2A3 amp they had ever heard. I think you are in for a real treat, from the sound of it. Please post a pic of the new amp.

Meantime, the reports on the new speaker are uniformly highly, highly positive. Great review on American Wired. Congrats to Louis, there, for hitting yet another bullseye.

munsell

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2006, 01:05 am »
Quote from: Dmason

Is Craig Uther making more of those 2A3's? Many have posted that that was the best 2A3 amp they had ever heard.

Yes, Craig is still making amps.  I personally feel that his amps are top notch and really sound good.  He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and is always willing to answer any questions you might have.  The amp that I purchased from him is a tricked out version of the Moth Audio si2A3 that can use either 2A3s or 45s.  The amp and separate power supply are built like tanks and really look nice.  Sheesh ... the amp even comes in a nice wooden crate  :)

onemug

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2006, 05:49 am »
I have Louis's Super 3r mated with some Fi 2a3 monos. This has sounded better than many systems costing much much more.  I think you will be very happy with the combo. You are aware of the breakin factor, yes? Good luck.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2006, 11:33 pm »
Hi munsell,

Many thanks for your order and the new Mahogany is great. I have more coming in tomorrow.  This finish rounds out the woods and I will post the pics very soon.

I heard a lot about the Moth amps and great to hear they are making them again. I first learned of them in Listener. Definitely post some pics.

Thanks Dan d Onemug,

The Review was terrific and I’m in the process of stealing the pictures for my site. The Fi is also a wonderful amp and have the highest respect for Don.

Thanks again,
Louis

RoadTripper

two versions of xrs
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2006, 11:58 pm »
Hey Louis,

Am I correctly picking up on the idea that you will be releasing a version of the XRS floorstander with drivers other than the Fostex? Like a hemp maybe?

9noodle9

Re: I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Super 3 XRS speak
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2006, 08:15 pm »
Louis has been a pleasure to deal with so far and has anwered all of my many questions.

ive also ordered a pair of xrs (italian Alpine Gold-Pearl 2-tone), and also been twisting louis' ear with questions :oops: but hes always super friendly and helpful. ive also ordered a decware taboo, but thats gonna take 8 weeks :cry:

Louis O

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2006, 12:39 am »
Hi munsell,

The speakers are done and I really like the veneer. The non-chamfer is the way to go with this finish too. Like the maple the mahogany looks great this way. Boxing them up tomorrow and hope they get picked up tomorrow as well.

Hi Seminarian,

Funny you mentioned the little hemps and they are finalized. I will have them starting the run when I get back from the show. The cone is a hemp matrix and is smooth smooth smooth. The basket is a little funky, but nice in its own way. I will have them at the VTV show this weekend. I’m keeping both versions and the hemp will be a little more expensive as it costs more to make the drivers. I do want to say that I like them both (Fostex and Hemp).

Hi 9noodle9,

Many thanks. Looks like they are getting shipped on Monday. It’s a long journey for these and I wish I were going with them.

Thanks again,
Louis

maxwalrath

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2006, 02:52 am »
Louis, glad to hear they are finalized. Could you compare/contrast the sound of the fostex vs. the hemps? Is there any difference in the specs? How about the specs in a dipole (2 fostex's vs. 2 hemps spec differences).

How much do they cost each?

schotter

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2006, 09:58 pm »
yeah, Fostex vs Hemps. Please post your impressions, Louis.