Should Louis Counter the Druids?

Smitty

« on: 18 Jun 2005, 11:10 am »
Omega is serving the SET world well, providing world class at lunch bucket prices. I hope it is working for Louis, as it is certainly working for the consumer. With the 45 being a big part of the mix, and the question of will it be enough speaker for my SET?, the Druids  have come along  in the Omega affordability mold, with a big YES to the efficiency question.  They almost force concidreation to the < 4 watt crowd.

Knowing that Omega could beat the fit and finish, I think it would make sense for Omega to try an affordable >100 db speaker. The competition is slim. Would not they sell themselves?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2005, 12:19 am »
Seems that Louis is plenty busy filling his own niche (high efficiency standmounts).  

Note that as speaker cabinets get bigger the amount of bracing needed increases and therefore the weight goes up.  One of real challenges selling floorstanders, especially with direct sales, is the size/weight issues associated with shipping.  

One of the advantages of going standmounts is the flexibility of using them in small settings or for dedicated listening to music that doesn't have deep bass while also being able to add a powered sub to take them to the next league as the standmount is relieved of bass duty.  (Subs and standmounts can each be placed in their ideal locations and allows the user to pick each without much compromise.)

I hope Louis stays, at least primarily, with standmounts only.  We've all seen good ideas played out to the point of losing focus, morphing into something completely different, and eventually missing the magic.

Smitty

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2005, 09:08 pm »
Louis did announce his first floor stander.

He said  "I can’t explain much about the sound right now, but I can say there will be 2 versions of the speakers. One is a compact wide baffle like the Super 3 and the other is my very first floor stander. Finally I will have a floor stander."

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2005, 03:00 pm »
Hi Smitty and JLM,

Many thanks for the posts and it’s really great to hear about the big Kudos for the Druids.

I did read the review and it sounds like a really good speaker. They have been out for a while and used to cost near $4k and with factory direct prices, they have become a lot more affordable. Looks like things are going this way more and more. I haven’t heard them so I can’t comment on the sound. The only thing that was mentioned that I don’t agree with is the 1.5 way. It’s really a 2-way as it has 2 different drivers. My 1.5 ways use the same driver and one is cut of a little lower than the other.

The floorstander is a reality and it’s built. Having my own drivers is big plus and that’s what I’ve been waiting for. I have been devoted strictly to standmounts for a lot of reasons JLM points out plus that I work with BR enclosures and Fostex drivers, standmounts where the way to go as well.  Except for the F200A, which is mighty fine.

The Hemp floorstander will be less expensive than the Druid and a single driver system. It is smaller in height but larger in volume. No crossover and no electronics at all in the speaker. The 8” hemp driver has amazing extension in the treble and no worries at all about tweeters. I’m getting down to 44Hz in my room. Imaging and soundstaging is amazing especially for an 8” full range. The easiest way to describe them is it’s like a Super 3 on steroids with more top and bottom and the hemp clarity. Very transparent and fast. The speaker is also rated at 97dB.

I’m also thinking about a factory direct line as well. It will be under the Lotus name and I have a few ideas about new models. One that is something I wanted to do for a long time is to make the hemp into an Audi Note ANE type stand mount. I always liked Peter Snell’s original design and it makes so much sense. Noel is going to make a 2 post custom stand and this will be included. The other is to finalize my 1.5 way 4.5” Super 3. I will have dual chambers in this design and it will be well under $1000.

The new finishes will be included on all the speakers. They are Macassar Ebony and Rosewood. The fronts and backs will be black leather. The baffles and back will also have a 9-ply layer of Baltic Birch over Ultralight MDF. The birch will have a chamfer all around and this will frame out the leather.

Thanks again,
Louis