Any tips for adding subs to the worship center?

khachai44

Any tips for adding subs to the worship center?
« on: 30 Jun 2017, 08:47 am »
Any tips for adding subs to the worship center? We currently have speakers hung from the ceiling above the podium and recently added a two speakers (one on either side of the stage) to fill the sides better. **soundroom is to the left of the left stain glass window unit. (Horrible placement. We can't hear well in there).
--
As with any audio upgrade, you want to do an analysis and use a model to determine the best coverage, etc. That said, I've seen and upgraded this kind of room on many occasions and enough to know that what I'm seeing speaker-wise isn't going to cut it---so why just put subwoofers up that might only make the coverage issue worse? Even more importantly, until you treat your walls acoustically you're going to have one heck of a frequency nightmare. Okay all of that said in this kind of space loa array, you're heading down the right path if you look at a long-throw subw

oofer, something like a Danley TH118 as opposed to horn-loaded subwoofers---and mounted at the very center of the ceiling. This would use physics to fill the space above and around the congregation loa caf. I typically fly my subwoofers and above the congregation, it gives a more even coverage and tuning throughout the room at 250Hz and below.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: Any tips for adding subs to the worship center?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2017, 07:11 am »
I would suggest a Bossobass system.

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2017, 09:07 am »
We just have flanking 18"s placed on each side corner which work well. Just black cabinets tend to disappear.

Horn bass would be amazing.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2017, 11:44 am »
Have avoided getting involved in AV at the churches I've attended, because its rare that a church has a clear, agreed to, sonic goal.  Small churches tend to have well meaning amateurs running things and spend money on ineffective upgrades, getting their advice from shot in the dark installers.  Large churches do the same on a larger scale (one we attended spent $250k on a barely perceivable "upgrade" to an already very fine system in a space that seated 1,700).

Is the spoken word top priority?  Is there a separate organ?  Is the music service traditional or contemporary?  Is there a choir?  Where are the performers located?  Is sounding like a cathedral (long reverberation times) the goal?  How loud do you want to go in-room?  Our current smaller church has on average 4 accompanying vocalists, but ever since we got the current music ministry leader (who doesn't have the greatest voice) they can barely be heard inside the sanctuary (making them look like "air backup singers") but sound "fine" to the AV people and in the lobby where audio is also piped.