Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Mobile Phone Picture of the Day
« Reply #320 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:30 am »

JakeJ

« Reply #321 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:42 am »
Is that your desktop rig, Bob?  Looks pretty sweet!  Make and model of the speakers?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #322 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:02 am »
Is that your desktop rig, Bob?  Looks pretty sweet!  Make and model of the speakers?
Yes Sir, this is my PC desk. It's what I call "Second row, center seat" to the main 2 channel and HT rig right in front of me.
My absolute favorite PC planar speakers died recently when I knocked one on the floor and broke a magnet.  :duh:

In search of something in the $100 range, I found these on Amazon. I'm day two into them, and so far, think my hundred bucks was well spent.
The speakers are something I've never heard of. Here's the link. Not giving them my official "seal of approval" just yet.

The first 30 minutes they played yesterday, I was ready to box them up and send them back. I've let them play at a medium-highish volume for 24 hours, and tonight I'm giving them a "second impression", so to speak. Regardless, they're $99. I think they're keepers, but since I bought them "Prime", I've got 30 days to try them out. If they don't work out, I've since found a $99 pair of Klipsch I'll try.
They seem to recreate sounds very well, but that "veil" we all talk about does seem to be present. In the spirit of honesty, that tube amp isn't actually hooked up right now. I just turned it on for visual effect. I need to make a pair of cable that are RCA and banana.
Sorry about the "artistic licence" I took there.  :wink:

For anybody that cares, I can give final impressions of the speakers in a week or two.

Oh... Also, in the interest of honesty and all that, The image on my monitor is from Brad Simmons (his 'signature' in the lower right corner).
He's one of my BBQ forum guys. I stole that image from the "Picture of the Day" thread there. No. I'm not proud.   :oops:

neekomax

« Reply #323 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:18 am »
Yes Sir, this is my PC desk. It's what I call "Second row, center seat" to the main 2 channel and HT rig right in front of me.
My absolute favorite PC planar speakers died recently when I knocked one on the floor and broke a magnet.  :duh:

In search of something in the $100 range, I found these on Amazon. I'm day two into them, and so far, think my hundred bucks was well spent.
The speakers are something I've never heard of. Here's the link. Not giving them my official "seal of approval" just yet.

The first 30 minutes they played yesterday, I was ready to box them up and send them back. I've let them play at a medium-highish volume for 24 hours, and tonight I'm giving them a "second impression", so to speak. Regardless, they're $99. I think they're keepers, but since I bought them "Prime", I've got 30 days to try them out. If they don't work out, I've since found a $99 pair of Klipsch I'll try.
They seem to recreate sounds very well, but that "veil" we all talk about does seem to be present. In the spirit of honesty, that tube amp isn't actually hooked up right now. I just turned it on for visual effect. I need to make a pair of cable that are RCA and banana.
Sorry about the "artistic licence" I took there.  :wink:

For anybody that cares, I can give final impressions of the speakers in a week or two.

Oh... Also, in the interest of honesty and all that, The image on my monitor is from Brad Simmons (his 'signature' in the lower right corner).
He's one of my BBQ forum guys. I stole that image from the "Picture of the Day" thread there. No. I'm not proud.   :oops:

I've been hearing good things about Edifier recently. This Youtube audio reviewer, Zeos Pantera, likes the $400 S2000 Pro (active, with DSP) very much... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFIMME0j0Q

Will be interested to hear what you find with the ones you picked up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #324 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:28 am »
While I'm at a price point MUCH lower than his, I will say I'm warming up to these speakers. I'd love to give the $400 ones a test drive, but that's not in the cards right now.
For a cheap Chinese unit, they're impressive so far.
Oh.... and they have tone controls, which is awesome.  :icon_twisted:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #325 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:30 pm »

JakeJ

« Reply #326 on: 4 Feb 2018, 06:19 pm »
Sweet, Bob.  Is it vinyl?  How many discs?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #327 on: 4 Feb 2018, 10:48 pm »
Sweet, Bob.  Is it vinyl?  How many discs?
Yes Sir, it's five records!  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #328 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:58 am »

JakeJ

« Reply #329 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:47 am »
Ooh, new project, Bob?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #330 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:54 am »
Ooh, new project, Bob?
Yes, indeed Jake!  :thumb:
It started out as a budget project. Something for the PC desk in the HT room, but it's grown (financially) exponentially since day one. The cabinets may look familiar?
They're the "extras" rolling around the basement of Ryan at Vapor. The drivers are Daytons. I've since double my original dollar amount.  :duh:

JakeJ

« Reply #331 on: 20 Feb 2018, 02:21 am »
Cool project!  I totally understand on the budget getting out of hand.  Once the exponent raises above 3 things can get a little crazy.  Many moons ago I rebuilt a pair of Dynaco Mk III mono amps and while it was fun it was also costly.

So, have fun and don't let your wallet get in the way.  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #332 on: 20 Feb 2018, 02:26 am »
So, have fun and don't let your wallet get in the way.  :lol:
No doubt!?!!?  :duh:
He asked how I was going to finish them. I said I was tired of the "usual" black, and might go out on a limb and do somethign radical.
My wife said I should go full on Ferrari red!  :o
Ryan said, "If that's the case, I've got some awesome automotive paints in stock we can use".
Oh Lord... what have I done.
more to come....

JakeJ

« Reply #333 on: 20 Feb 2018, 04:00 am »
Oh Lord... what have I done.

Started an awesome project that will evolve to its completion.  Go with the flow and see where it takes you.

more to come....

I hope so!  May I suggest you start a thread on this build in the Enclosures Circle?

BTW - I am also big Tull fan.  Where did you get the boxed set?  Amazon currently lists the Audio CD at $596.91 for used.  Vinyl $49.99 and up for used and $200 for new.  Last but not least I could purchase it on cassette for $5.09 used or $207.89 for new! :lol:  Seriously, I would like to find one.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for finish.  I like this color.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/one-off-rosso-dino-orange-ferrari-enzo/

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #334 on: 20 Feb 2018, 04:14 pm »
The whole photobucket thing really let the wind out of my sails as far as having a photo hosting site I can trust, long term. All the awesome threads I've had over the years are destroyed (remember the speaker build with my daughter?). I'm using Facebook to host my pics now, but I'm pretty much just "piddling" with posting photos. I don't trust they won't do the same thing Photobucket did. Plus, their photo album structure is absolutely horrible. I had about 3500 photos stored on Photobucket, I can't imagine that on Facebook with their current "way" of doing things..

I'd be willing to sell you the Tull albums. If you're interested, lemme know.

I like that color too. Still not sure what I'll go with. More than likely, it'll be whatever Ryan has in his "leftovers".  Something flashy though, for sure.

JakeJ

« Reply #335 on: 21 Feb 2018, 02:01 am »
Yeah, I remember your (and a plenty of others) frustration with PB.  Wonder how they are doing financially?

You could host the photos for just the build here on AC.

Please PM me on the Tull boxed set.

That orange probably looks better on a car than a pair of speakers but I'm sure Ryan will come up with something very cool.  Should be a fun build and the finished speakers will sound great!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #336 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:09 am »
No chance I'll ever store my pics on an "audio site" again. The first person to burn me on that was Steve Deckert many, many years ago.
He decided to 'purge' his entire database, forum and gallery entirely. He started over with everyting. Every member woke up one morning to the cold fact that "you're not a member anymore, and your pictures are gone".
So.... Decware and Photobucket have both done this to me. At this point, I won't trust a single man that owns an audio forum, I won't trust a company that markets themselves as a "photo hosting site", and I won't trust Facebook. Suffice it to say that this pain runs deep. No one cares about such things, even if you pay them (like I did Photobucket).
As far as how Photobucket is doing financially, I hope they burn in hell forever visualizing the images they've stolen from the forums across the planet. Their price of more than one dollar a day is way beyond ludicrous. I paid something like $24 a year.

I've got a PM inbound, shortly...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #337 on: 1 Apr 2018, 02:34 am »

TrungT

« Reply #338 on: 1 Apr 2018, 02:57 am »
Cold soldering joint  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #339 on: 1 Apr 2018, 03:07 am »
Cold soldering joint  :thumb:
No soldering or welding on my part. I did use a plasma cutter on the lower piece (in an attempt to use a cheap "universal" catalytic converter, despite my knowledge of such things) but ultimately threw away the entire section and installed an aftermarket part. Those "universal" pieces never fit anything. I knew that, and am ashamed that I even tried it.  :oops:
Overall, Not bad. Spent $200 to install a new "Cat" these days. I just had to choose the right one to install.  :duh: