Can you Biamp a M3 Sapphire

sjsfiveo

Can you Biamp a M3 Sapphire
« on: 11 May 2020, 08:03 pm »
Sorry if this has been covered already but I'm new here and not aloud to use the search yet, Can the M3's be biamped? I can not find a decent image of the back of these speakers to see how many binging posts there are.

Don_S

Re: Can you Biamp a M3 Sapphire
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2020, 01:06 am »
Can't biamp even though the driver inputs are accessible. Biamping would bypass protection. Only one set of  binding posts.

sjsfiveo

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2020, 01:37 am »
Ok thank you.

Steve

sockpit

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2020, 04:23 am »
Best if Clayton replies.

There is discussion of bi-amping early in the thread introducing the M5 sapphire series.  Also recall Paul from AntiCables suggesting bi-wiring possibilities to customers. 

sockpit

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2020, 04:36 am »
Here’s what I mean.  If the answer is simply no, then the thread below is dated.

Quote from: kheidenr on  8 Jul 2019, 09:16 pm

“Clayton,

How will the M5 and M3 perform with low wattage tube amps - say 4 watts?  Is the impedance curve pretty flat for the dome?  Would you recommend bi-amping if we used a low wattage tube amp with the sapphire dome driver?

Low wattage tube amps will work nicely with the M5 Sapphire because the impedance curve is smooth and 8 Ohms nominal. If you bi-amp, they will work even better. The mid/treble driver stays between 8 and 10 Ohms.

Clayton”

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2020, 03:34 pm »
sockpit,

The thread you quoted is dated. I own M5 Sapphires. I am surprised more owners of M5 and M3 Sapphires have not commented.

sjsfiveo

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2020, 08:50 pm »
Ok so i'm getting the feeling they can be biamped.

sockpit

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2020, 11:37 pm »
sockpit,

The thread you quoted is dated. I own M5 Sapphires. I am surprised more owners of M5 and M3 Sapphires have not commented.

I own them, too.  I’ve not read about any change of mind since Clayton posted that response, so I think it’s best to leave the answer to him.  Either they can be safely bi-amped and bi-wired or not. 

I don’t, but had the distinct impression it was possible when I purchased them.

bbybaudio

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2020, 04:28 pm »
The only comment I remember reading similar to this topic on these speakers was by Paul Speltz. If I remember correctly he was going to biwire the M3 Sapphires not bi amp them.

JuleZ3C

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2020, 09:48 pm »
Guys... How could they not be biamp-able? Any speaker is, but your involvement to do so might differ depending on type, but with OB speakers, seriously!?

The tweeter is used crossoverless! (one of the main selling points!) Meaning you don't even need to provide your own crossover (passive or active)!  :duh:

Furthermore, the connectors (female banana receptacles) on the dome driver are accessible and directly visible! (yeah you have to zoom a bit, as Clayton has done a great job integrating the cabling)

And seeing as there is already a crossover for the woofers, just get your two amps (and a nice line attenuator, not sure there isn't already one in the crossover box to the wide band, or maybe woofers and dome have been spec'd for equal sensitivity?) plug them in and voilà!

I don't believe I'm speaking out of turn here, I have had my M3TS biamped for a year now (using (custom) active crossovers, a Schiit Vidar for the woofers and an Aegir for the compression drivers), and the results are quite good (to my ears anyway...)