Recommended Interconnect - BDP-1 to BDA-3

ccpeabody

Re: Recommended Interconnect - BDP-1 to BDA-3
« Reply #20 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:39 pm »
Don’t know if you meant this, but Tidal does not offer DSD. AFAIK no streaming service does.  I do find the BDP1 to be excellent as a Roon endpoint, though.

I did mean that and I'm probably wrong.  It was my understanding that Tidal offered DSD and that I could play it via my BDP-1 to my BDA-3 via DSD over PCM (DoP).  Perhaps this is why I can't get it to work.  I can find lots of posts that say it can be done, and lots of posts saying folks can't get it to work but I've yet to find a post to say "this is how you do it" . LOL!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:47 pm »
I did mean that and I'm probably wrong.  It was my understanding that Tidal offered DSD and that I could play it via my BDP-1 to my BDA-3 via DSD over PCM (DoP).  Perhaps this is why I can't get it to work.  I can find lots of posts that say it can be done, and lots of posts saying folks can't get it to work but I've yet to find a post to say "this is how you do it" . LOL!

As far as I know DSD is not available on Tidal.

james

ccpeabody

« Reply #22 on: 2 Feb 2020, 02:55 pm »
As far as I know DSD is not available on Tidal.

james

Sorry guys... I'm an idiot!

I've been so confused trying to get all this equipment working as it should that I totally forgot that I was trying to make Roon upsample to DSD.  I've read it can be done but I sure can't make it work.  You sure know your getting old when you used to be the guy everyone called for technical help and now you can't figure out how to unlock your own cell phone!

Norton

« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2020, 04:06 pm »
Sorry guys... I'm an idiot!

I've been so confused trying to get all this equipment working as it should that I totally forgot that I was trying to make Roon upsample to DSD.  I've read it can be done but I sure can't make it work.  You sure know your getting old when you used to be the guy everyone called for technical help and now you can't figure out how to unlock your own cell phone!

Tidal doesn’t stream in DSD but you can get Roon to transcode the Tidal  stream to DSD.  Press the speaker icon in bottom right of screen, then DSP, then sample rate conversion, then select each rate you want to transcode to DSD (i.e. 44).  It will only show as an option if your endpoint/DAC permits (which it should if using BDP1 and BDA3).  Success will also depend on the power of machine running your Roon core.  Once you get it running you may well conclude though that transcoding to DSD doesn’t bring any real benefit.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2020, 05:50 pm »
This thread is going sideways.
Interconnects to Tidal. Isn't there a separate thread for Bryston/ Tidal/Roon?

zoom25

« Reply #25 on: 2 Feb 2020, 08:55 pm »
I just received a new LV61S RCA-BNC from BJC in Seattle.  For BCD-1 --> BDA-3. Works great, and cost me peanuts.   :thumb:

Nice. I've always heard great things about BJC. Let us know how you like that Canare. (Canare's l-4e6s has been on my list to audition.)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 2 Feb 2020, 10:06 pm »
Nice. I've always heard great things about BJC. Let us know how you like that Canare. (Canare's l-4e6s has been on my list to audition.)

Been using Canare 61S for my BNC's for years now, so I can heartily rec it without any reservations. Very well-built, with tight crimps on the collars of the BNCs (and of the RCAs). Short-run only, 1m. Haven't needed longer runs. Thanks.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 2 Feb 2020, 10:17 pm »
While you're at it, mind recommending me some cable risers to go with it?  :green:

https://shunyata.com/products/accessories/df-ss-cable-elevator/

:lol: :icon_lol:

ccpeabody

« Reply #28 on: 5 Feb 2020, 09:08 pm »
This thread is going sideways.
Interconnects to Tidal. Isn't there a separate thread for Bryston/ Tidal/Roon?

My fault for asking too many questions in one thread.

That being said, I certainly appreciate people taking the time to help out.

Cheers!

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:00 pm »
Another nice option is the BNC to RCA cable from Benchmark Media Systems.  I have one between my streamer and integrated amp/DAC. It is affordable and more importantly, it sounds great.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/all/products/benchmark-bnc-to-rca-coaxial-cable-digital

SMcATX

« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:17 pm »
The BDP-1 doesn't have a USB output, so AES/EBU is my recommendation! My BDP-1 came with a BNC adapter that I use with a standard 75-ohm cable.

No harm in checking out the Benchmark BNC-to-coaxial cable mentioned.

bobf

« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2020, 04:58 pm »
I have the Benchmark BNC to coax cable. It is a well made cable and does the job.

For AES to AES I have a Digiflex cable. Well made and does the job.

Both cables have sounded great for me in various equipment.

Both cables are bargain priced in terms of the audio world.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 6 Feb 2020, 05:52 pm »
Another nice option is the BNC to RCA cable from Benchmark Media Systems.  I have one between my streamer and integrated amp/DAC. It is affordable and more importantly, it sounds great.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/all/products/benchmark-bnc-to-rca-coaxial-cable-digital

The specs on that link indicate that this is a Canare LV61S, the exact same that can be bought for a similar pittance from BJC.   :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #33 on: 6 Feb 2020, 06:17 pm »
The BDP-1 doesn't have a USB output, so AES/EBU is my recommendation! My BDP-1 came with a BNC adapter that I use with a standard 75-ohm cable.

No harm in checking out the Benchmark BNC-to-coaxial cable mentioned.

Aside from being used as inputs for storage devices, you can use any of the USB ports on the BDP-1 to send audio out to DAC. This can be configured under Audio Devices in Manic Moose. Plug a USB cable from the BDP-1 to the DAC. Go to the settings and hit 'enable'.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 6 Feb 2020, 06:56 pm »
It's telling how many don't realize that those USB-A ports on BDP-x can be output jacks as well as inputs. I didn't know this til well after I got a -1.   :duh:

SMcATX

« Reply #35 on: 7 Feb 2020, 03:31 pm »
It's telling how many don't realize that those USB-A ports on BDP-x can be output jacks as well as inputs. I didn't know this til well after I got a -1.   :duh:
I double-checked the manual before I posted! I don't have any exotic hi-rez files to play so I don't need anything different from the other outputs.

I guess I could sell my DAC and try one of those $10 Apple USB dongles for output. I see I would need a USB-A adapter that would cost as much as the Apple DAC!

ccpeabody

« Reply #36 on: 7 Feb 2020, 03:46 pm »
I double-checked the manual before I posted! I don't have any exotic hi-rez files to play so I don't need anything different from the other outputs.

I guess I could sell my DAC and try one of those $10 Apple USB dongles for output. I see I would need a USB-A adapter that would cost as much as the Apple DAC!

Currently running my BDP-1 into the BDA-3 via USB Carbon.  Sounds good to me so far.  I do have a BNC to RCA and an AES/EBU to test but have yet to get around to it.