BDA-2 Starts and Syncs to Inputs ... No Sound

Maple Tunes

BDA-2 Starts and Syncs to Inputs ... No Sound
« on: 25 Dec 2019, 10:07 pm »
Hi All,

** Please note that I'm a first time poster, but an old AC Board reader. 

I'm having an issue with my BDA-2 and hope that someone can offer a solution.  I tried playing some music today with a few different sources connected to my BDA-2 and neither will utter a sound.  I've had the DAC for probably 5+ years and have never had any problems playing from any source including my BDP-1, Sonos, cable box, DVD Blu-ray and Apple TV.  My BDA-2 power lights blue on restart and the source lights do the same.  I've also tried unplugging the BDA-2 for about 10 minutes, then reconnecting and get the same result which is unfortunately no sound.  I even tried unplugging/replugging different sources and my output feed to my integrated amp and get the same result.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!
MT

BCRich1

Re: BDA-2 Starts and Syncs to Inputs ... No Sound
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2019, 04:21 am »
I would try two things....
Bypass the DAC and go directly to the integrated amp with a source and see if you get sound.
The second would be to check and see if the integrated amp has a tape monitor function, in some devices having it engaged will cause the output to mute.
I hope this helps you arrive at a solution.
Happy Holidays!
Mike

Maple Tunes

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2019, 04:51 am »
Hi Rich,

I moved that BDA-2 to a different input on the integrated amp and still get no output from any of the dac's input sources, BDP-1 or the Sonos player.  I did that after leaving the BDA-2 unplugged for 2 hours.  I even tried the BDA-2 on a different input on the integrated amp and still nothing work.  I rebooted my integrated amp too and no change.  As for the other sources plugged into my integrated amp - they work fine.  I've been playing cd's and listening to my tuner through my integrated amp most of the day without issues. 

I'll think about your idea on the tape monitor input and how that could be muted.  That could certainly cause issues, but I doubt that's the case with my integrated amp as it doesn't have dedicated inputs for different equipment.  This amp treats all analogue inputs the same by default, then you program the output text display, relative volume, sensitivity, etc, for each input.

Thanks for the suggestions!
MT

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2019, 01:22 pm »
Hi MT

Give Mike an email at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2019, 05:33 am »
James,

can i simply connect a BDP3 via USB with a BDA2 (like plug'n'play) to play music or do i have to install a driver BEFORE both units are connected to each other? :scratch:

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2019, 01:38 pm »
James,

can i simply connect a BDP3 via USB with a BDA2 (like plug'n'play) to play music or do i have to install a driver BEFORE both units are connected to each other? :scratch:

thanks,

al.

Hi Al

Just connect them but once they are both on you sometimes have to reboot the BDP-3 to make sure it "see's" the BDA-3 USB input.

james

alexone

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2019, 10:26 pm »

...ah, ok. thank you :thumb:

al.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2020, 04:29 pm »
You can also check the Audio Devices page to see what USB interfaces are being seen and if they are being used.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf  (page 15)

alexone

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2020, 08:04 pm »

...ok, Chris. thank you!

al.

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2020, 11:29 am »
Hi All,

** Please note that I'm a first time poster, but an old AC Board reader. 

I'm having an issue with my BDA-2 and hope that someone can offer a solution.  I tried playing some music today with a few different sources connected to my BDA-2 and neither will utter a sound.  I've had the DAC for probably 5+ years and have never had any problems playing from any source including my BDP-1, Sonos, cable box, DVD Blu-ray and Apple TV.  My BDA-2 power lights blue on restart and the source lights do the same.  I've also tried unplugging the BDA-2 for about 10 minutes, then reconnecting and get the same result which is unfortunately no sound.  I even tried unplugging/replugging different sources and my output feed to my integrated amp and get the same result.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas!
MT

Hi!

Were you able to resolve the problem in the end? What caused it?

Cheers!
Antun

Maple Tunes

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2020, 07:34 pm »
Hi R. Daneel,

I had to send the DAC to Bryston for service and will probably get it back this week.  I spoke to their service dept. last week and was told that the voltage regulator and a few resistors had to be replaced.  One of my sources, an optical input was drawing too much current which caused the failure.  I was told that it could've been a bad optical (TosLink) cable or the input feed.  The input source was from my Samsung 4k tv which uses something called the Samsung One Connect for inputs and optical input/output.  One Connect acts something like a preamp for HDMI, cable/antenna, USB inputs, etc. so I tried to extract audio from it via its optical connection.  My reason for trying this was to get a digital feed to my DAC so I could play music videos from my Apple 4k TV or Austin City Limits with my cable box.  One of the products in the chain caused the problem.  I can't remember if I had used the cable without issues before so that could be the culprit.  It might also be that something is faulty with the One Connect or possibly the Apple 4k TV audio configuration.  I'll have to do some research and perhaps pick the Bryston brains a little more to find a reliable solution. 

My Bryston BDA-2 has been a wonderful DAC!

Maple Tunes

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2020, 12:31 pm »
Hi R. Daneel,

I had to send the DAC to Bryston for service and will probably get it back this week.  I spoke to their service dept. last week and was told that the voltage regulator and a few resistors had to be replaced.  One of my sources, an optical input was drawing too much current which caused the failure.

Maple Tunes

Hi!

Sadly, this is not the first time I read about this problem. In each case, the cause was a connection from a non-audio device like a TV or DVB-S receiver. In those instances, the manufacturer recommended using an optical connection instead of a coaxial one to avoid damage so what you have experienced is rather surprising! Toslink should be a safer connection in this regard as it is impossible to have a short-circuit.

Let us Know when you receive the DAC.

Cheers!

Maple Tunes

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2020, 12:52 am »
Hi R. Daneel,

The DAC was delivered to me on Tuesday afternoon shortly after I replied to you.  I haven't had time to reinstall it yet, but I'm looking forward to getting it back in my system.  I will also be more selective with my TosLink cable choices in the future.  For now my Samsung tv and Apple 4k TV will be sonically quarantined unless I can find a high grade audio extractor that I trust.

And before I forget I just want to give Bryston a big "Thank You" for all your help and wonderful service!

Thanks Again,
Maple Tunes

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:39 am »
Good to know they sorted it out for you! Still, it's difficult to imagine an improper Toslink connection caused the failure.

Cheers!