BDP2 and PS Audio Direct Stream DAC

TJ-Sully

BDP2 and PS Audio Direct Stream DAC
« on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:18 am »
hi all

I am about to receive a BDP-2 in the next few days....an upgrade from my steady performing BDP1.

I am using a Direct Stream DAC, and wondering whether anyone using these 2 products have noted any issues playing higher resolution files (192/24). 

I recently read on the PS Audio forum that some folks have noted distortion in the above scenario.

maybe this a question for Chris...should I expect some compatibility issues?

thanks for your help.

TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP2 and PS Audio Direct Stream DAC
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2019, 12:23 pm »
hi all

I am about to receive a BDP-2 in the next few days....an upgrade from my steady performing BDP1.

I am using a Direct Stream DAC, and wondering whether anyone using these 2 products have noted any issues playing higher resolution files (192/24). 

I recently read on the PS Audio forum that some folks have noted distortion in the above scenario.

thanks for your help.

TJ

Hi TJ

I am not sure on this but I think the PS unit up-samples all inputs to DSD ( you do not hear the native resolution) and that may cause some issues. 

Chris may know better as we did have a sample of the PS unit a while back for testing.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2019, 12:55 am »
hi James

thanks for responding.

yes, that's right - the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC converts the incoming signal to DSD then applies a filter.

look forward to hearing Chris' observations...and whether there is in fact a distortion observed playing high resolution PCM files.

I am hoping it's all good!

cheers, TJ

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2019, 05:22 pm »
hi all

thanks for your help.

TJ

If the BDP-2 your receiving has the same audio card as your BDP-1 then you shouldn't need to worry.  If the BDP-2 has the new IAD card then there could be a problem with the ps audio DAC picking up the audio signal at higher sample rates (176/192).  I heard from another customer a few weeks ago that ps audio might be releasing an update at some point to improve locking on to signals.

Chris

TJ-Sully

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2019, 04:06 pm »
thanks Chris.  yep, my BDP2 has the IAD card. will let you know how things go..cheers!

Socal77

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2020, 06:16 pm »
Hello all,

I just noticed this thread as well as the long (and interesting :o) one on the PS Audio forum regarding the issue with the BDP-2 IAD and 192/24 files to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC. 

Is this a known issue for the BDP-3 also?  Thanks!