Concern with Salk Speakers

bgbkt

Concern with Salk Speakers
« on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:05 am »
Hi,

I've been looking to upgrade my pair of Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers. I've been doing lot of research for last few months and it has led me to Salk Song3-A as one of the best value speakers under $5k range. However, I just have one concern with it.

Most of the online reviews/feedback I've read are from people that prefer more of vocal, jazz, classical, folk kind of music. While I listen to that kind of music once in a while my main listening preferences is for music with lot more energy and oomph like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana, Rammstein etc. I also regularly listen to contemporary R&B, Rap, Hip hop kind of music. My main concern is that Salk might be little mellow or soft based on the reviews I read online. And I'm afraid for the kind of music I listen to, it may lack some of the energy and liveliness required.

Would really appreciate if any owner of Song3 series of speakers would provide feedback for the kind of music I listen and if Song3-A would be a good choice for me or not?

Thanks!

jsalk

Re: Concern with Salk Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:06 pm »
Hi,

I've been looking to upgrade my pair of Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers. I've been doing lot of research for last few months and it has led me to Salk Song3-A as one of the best value speakers under $5k range. However, I just have one concern with it.

Most of the online reviews/feedback I've read are from people that prefer more of vocal, jazz, classical, folk kind of music. While I listen to that kind of music once in a while my main listening preferences is for music with lot more energy and oomph like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana, Rammstein etc. I also regularly listen to contemporary R&B, Rap, Hip hop kind of music. My main concern is that Salk might be little mellow or soft based on the reviews I read online. And I'm afraid for the kind of music I listen to, it may lack some of the energy and liveliness required.

Would really appreciate if any owner of Song3 series of speakers would provide feedback for the kind of music I listen and if Song3-A would be a good choice for me or not?

Thanks!

The Song3-A's are extremely detailed and accurate.  Much classic rock was not recorded or mastered all that well.  In fact, in the mid 80's when CD's first came onto the market, engineers did not have a good handle on mastering it.  They used "pre-emphasis" and mastered CD's so that they would sound good on the type of small speakers used in automobiles.  The result is that many of these recordings tend to be on the bright side.

A speaker like the Song3-A's, again, is very detailed and accurate.  Overly bright tracks or tracks with recording flaws cannot hide with these speakers.  They are somewhat "unforgiving" in that regard.  They would certainly not be "mellow or soft" by any means.

You would be better served by the standard Song3's or the Song3 BeAT's which are a bit more forgiving. With the standard Song3's, you may even want to go with a bamboo coned midrange (extra cost) over the titanium midrange most commonly used.

My personal choice considering this type of music would be the Song3 BeAT's.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

maplemusic

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2018, 03:17 am »
Not my thread but Jim can you please comment how the midrange on song 3 beats compares to Veracity ST?

Also in general do you recommend using one or two subwoofers with them in a mostly music but occasional movie set up?

Apologies to the OP for posting my questions here.

Dludds

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2018, 03:30 am »
 I was in the same boat. I listen to a lot of metal and classic rock . I don’t listen any R&B or hip-hop. I contacted Jim and he recommended the BeAts based on my music preference. I received mine in September. No regrets, not a one.

bgbkt

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2018, 07:21 am »
The Song3-A's are extremely detailed and accurate.  Much classic rock was not recorded or mastered all that well.  In fact, in the mid 80's when CD's first came onto the market, engineers did not have a good handle on mastering it.  They used "pre-emphasis" and mastered CD's so that they would sound good on the type of small speakers used in automobiles.  The result is that many of these recordings tend to be on the bright side.

A speaker like the Song3-A's, again, is very detailed and accurate.  Overly bright tracks or tracks with recording flaws cannot hide with these speakers.  They are somewhat "unforgiving" in that regard.  They would certainly not be "mellow or soft" by any means.

You would be better served by the standard Song3's or the Song3 BeAT's which are a bit more forgiving. With the standard Song3's, you may even want to go with a bamboo coned midrange (extra cost) over the titanium midrange most commonly used.

My personal choice considering this type of music would be the Song3 BeAT's.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Thanks for responding to my concern, Mr. Salk.

It's interesting that you are recommending BeAT. I don't have much experience with beryllium. I've only listened to beryllium tweeter once in Paradigm Persona 3F and thought they were little harsh and metallic at times. I'm much more used to RAAL as I use it in my main system and like it very much so thought it would be best to stick with RAAL. Another reason for going with Song3-A was I like detail in music (you can say I'm detail-head  :)) and heard that accuton used in Song3-A are very good at detail retrieval. I guess I can't have it all and will have to make decision based on priority.

Just for Hip hop and R&B music, would you still recommend BeAT over Song3-A.

Again, thanks for responding.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2018, 01:07 pm »
Hi,

I've had Salk Sound HT2's and HT3'S and they are my preferred speakers.  As Jim stated rock and heavy metal have generally not been recorded that well.  When I listen to my HT3's I much prefer audiophile recorded music over lesser recordings.  You can't have it all :(.    I suggest buying speakers that Jim has suggested and if you can listen to a pair locally if you can.

I imported 2 pairs of salk sound speakers and a rhythmic subwoofer all the way to Australia and I've been really happy with the build quality and customer service.  Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2018, 01:53 pm »
My Encores can rock... that 9” Satori woof puts the Led in Zeppelin  :roll:

JD

DFpritchard

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2018, 03:51 pm »
I received my Song3s in August.  Listen to a lot of classic rock, some of not so well mixed/recorded, some quite well m/r.  The Song3s are very good at revealing what is recorded, but I would describe them as more musical than analytical.  To my ears, the Song3s do a great job of imaging and soundstage.  I listen to a lot of Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Doors, bootleg (some good recordings, some simply awful) or commercially recorded live sessions (e.g., Dick's Picks).  I think the Song3s do a great job of playing what's on the disc.  Similarly with well-recorded rock music (Mobile Fidelity, RR Dafos or the Beatles re-releases in mono) the Song3s perform very well.  I also listen to a lot of percussion which while it isn't 'rock' is dynamically demanding.  Again, the Song3s perform really well with no sign of breakup. 

In my room, driven by a Parasound Halo 160 wpm integrated, the Song3s are LOUD.  Could be efficiency of the speaker or room dimensions, but I can get concert-level spl without working the speakers or amp hard.  Amplification matters.   

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2018, 06:03 pm »

Just for Hip hop and R&B music, would you still recommend BeAT over Song3-A.

Again, thanks for responding.

Hip hop is typically recorded fairly well.  No problem there.  R&B runs the gamut, but most is pretty well recorded.

If you are a "detail-head," it doesn't get much better than the Song3-A's.  The only caveat is that recording flaws cannot hide from this speaker.  This isn't a big deal to many people because they realize the inadequacies of some recordings and still enjoy them.  Others might find those recordings unlistenable.

Based on reports from owners, one thing is certain:  With great material, the Song3-A's shine and you will be constantly on the lookout for great new recordings. 

- Jim 

Grbluen

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2018, 06:07 pm »
Boy, I sure wish there was a way to distinguish between the many iterations of song 3s!

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2018, 06:50 pm »
Boy, I sure wish there was a way to distinguish between the many iterations of song 3s!

Let's rank them with regard to a few variables:

High-frequency treble performance - all Song3 models are pretty much the same in this regard.

Low frequency bass performance - Song3 Encores play deeper, all others the same.

Midrange performance - this is where most of the differences are.  In order of detail...

Song3-A
Song3 Encore
Song 3
Song3 BeAT (very close to Song3)

In order of "smoothness" and "warmth":

Song3 BeAT
Song3
Song3 Encore
Song3-A

Does this help?

- Jim

Grbluen

« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2018, 08:00 pm »
Thanks so much Jim!
It's a bit confusing at times!
Don

bgbkt

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2018, 10:36 pm »
Thank you Mr. Salk and others for providing valuable feedback, it's really helpful in making decision.

Shazb0t

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2019, 01:36 am »
Let's rank them with regard to a few variables:

High-frequency treble performance - all Song3 models are pretty much the same in this regard.

Low frequency bass performance - Song3 Encores play deeper, all others the same.

Midrange performance - this is where most of the differences are.  In order of detail...

Song3-A
Song3 Encore
Song 3
Song3 BeAT (very close to Song3)

In order of "smoothness" and "warmth":

Song3 BeAT
Song3
Song3 Encore
Song3-A

Does this help?

- Jim
This is very helpful! Would you be able to similarly summarize the Veracity line?