Static triggered by operation of CD Transport

Wind Chaser

Static triggered by operation of CD Transport
« on: 23 Apr 2020, 06:46 pm »
Strange.

I have two digital sources; an Aries Mini I use without issue for streaming European radio stations and a Yamaha CDP to spin CDs. I'm currently just using the streamer with the DAC DAC but I'd like to use the CDP digital output with DAC DAC on occasion too.

The problem with the CDP is for some reason it produces a fair bit of audible static whenever I press play, pause or any other function when connected to the DAC DAC. I've never encountered this issue before with any of my previous DACs so I'm wondering what's up?

Do I need a new transport?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Static triggered by operation of CD Transport
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2020, 06:49 pm »
  Try grounding yourself before touching the player. You may be introducing the static.  Is everything grounded ?

charles

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2020, 06:55 pm »
Thanks Charles, I'll give that a go and see what happens.  :thumb:

I should also mention it doesn't make any difference whether I use the remote from across the room or if I operate the controls on the CDP. The static occurs only after I have pressed the desired function.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2020, 08:18 am »
Thanks Charles, I'll give that a go and see what happens.  :thumb:

I should also mention it doesn't make any difference whether I use the remote from across the room or if I operate the controls on the CDP. The static occurs only after I have pressed the desired function.

I suspect a bad SPDIF cable.  Did you try replacing it?  We had similar problems here once due to a fancy SPDIF cable not being plugged far enough into the source device (Node 2i).  Also, do you have a prototype DAC DAC?  There is an auto-mute function the was not included in the original prototypes that protects against playing the stream until it's deemed valid.  Some sources, especially older ones, turn the digital output on/off between functions.  With newer DAC DACs, you can unplug the SPDIF cable and plug it back in while playing without any issue.  Looking forward to your reply.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2020, 03:49 pm »
Thanks, Tommy. I'll see if I can source a new coax cable locally, if not I'll order one off the web and see what happens. I doubt it's a prototype, the serial number is 20339.

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2020, 04:17 pm »
along the lines mentioned have you tried playing through your Cd player alone, eliminating the use of the outboard DAC ? This along with cable elimination hopefully will answer as to the source of the interference.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2020, 05:21 pm »
along the lines mentioned have you tried playing through your Cd player alone, eliminating the use of the outboard DAC ? This along with cable elimination hopefully will answer as to the source of the interference.
I’ll second that idea!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2020, 07:04 pm »

The CDP by itself doesn’t manifest this issue. And it did not manifest this issue when previously plugged into 2 other DACs. So I will try plugging it into one of my other DACs again to see if the problem remains or goes away. I will also try another coax cable at a later date.