stacking

keithjacksontucson

stacking
« on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:09 pm »
does stacking the BDA-2 and BDP-2 generate too much heat for the components?

So There

• Brystonized
Re: stacking
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:20 pm »
I have both the BDP-2 and BDA-2, Keith, and while they're not stacked, they are in a cabinet (second and third shelves from the bottom in the photo below). The heat generated is negligible, barely warm to the touch, so I don't see a problem in stacking them.

Rich

Samurai7595

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2013, 07:49 pm »
In my setup, I have three Bryston components stacked and heat is not an issue.

Top: BCD-1
Middle: BDP-2
Bottom: BDA-2

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:09 am »
Same here:

spinner

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2013, 03:51 am »
 Same here.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2013, 05:15 pm by spinner »

RLL1

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2013, 04:11 am »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2013, 02:52 pm »
I have both the BDP-2 and BDA-2, Keith, and while they're not stacked, they are in a cabinet (second and third shelves from the bottom in the photo below). The heat generated is negligible, barely warm to the touch, so I don't see a problem in stacking them.

Rich

A most gorgeous cabinet  :drool:  :thumb:

Be well...

BrystonFan

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2013, 10:53 pm »
Very nice!
Did you use a forklift to place those Amps that far up?  :D

How do you access the cables?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2013, 02:03 am »
Thanks for the kind comments, Laundrew and BrystonFan:

It took awhile to design the cabinet, but we had a demanding situation with an open wall on the right side of the room. That's why you see a surround speaker mounted on the cabinet (behind which is a Cisco business-class network switch, a Brickwall surge protector for the switch and the DVR, and cable runs to the TV and the subwoofers on the front wall of the room: see photos below). There are smoked glass doors, which are off in this photo. The shelves are very strong and have about a ten-inch square hole in the center for convection cooling, with a whisper exhaust fan at the top of the cabinet; this seems to work quite well, as the gear is never more than warm after several hours of listening. On the wall at the back of the cabinet are two 20-amp dedicated circuits and the speaker cable runs to the 7.2 audio channels. Behind the three doors at the top are spaces with shelving for storage, and the bottom has ten deep drawers for DVDs and Blu-rays. There's a hidden drawer above the Oppo player, just below the center of the cabinet, for accessories.

You're right, placing the 6BSST at the top was tempting a hernia (it took two of us on eight-foot stepladders), and I'll likely rearrange the gear to place it lower. Alas, I didn't have enough length on the speaker cables to place the amp lower. I'll likely just put in Niles switchplates with five-way binding posts and run speaker cables to a more hernia-friendly location for the amps.

The shelves are adjustable vertically in fine increments, and each is mounted to 200-pound sliders that fully extend. It's a bit disconcerting when the 96-pound 6BSST is rolled all the way out, but access to cables isn't a problem, as there's plenty of room at the back of the two-foot deep shelves. When we have a rare power outage and I need to reset the power on the amps, out comes the stepladder; otherwise, the trusty SP3 handles power duties through its 12V triggers.

Oh, what we do in the service of music . . .  :duh:

Happy listening,

Rich

PMAT

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2013, 02:08 am »
Looks like they might be on sliders.. Wowser. If that is true its an amazing cabinet.

Oops too late....... :D

Tympani

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2013, 02:56 am »
IMHO, there are other reasons besides heat that might lead one not to stack gear. Vibration for one, perhaps RFI/EMI for another. Out of principle, I have always tried not to stack. My BDP-2 and BDA-2 are on separate shelves. And yes, I have convinced myself that they sound better that way. Then again, if I ran out of shelves, these would be the 2 components I would most likely stack.

Rod_S

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2013, 06:43 pm »
I asked James about this a few weeks or maybe months ago now and that was for two 28B's and he said it wouldn't be an issue so with the digital components I would say it has to be ok. Still waiting for my 28's though.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:43 pm »
I asked James about this a few weeks or maybe months ago now and that was for two 28B's and he said it wouldn't be an issue so with the digital components I would say it has to be ok. Still waiting for my 28's though.

When you do get them, you will be walking around with a silly smile on your face for quite a while - just thinking about them just pasted my silly smile on my face  :lol:

Be well...

Rod_S

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:58 pm »
Oh I know, I can't wait. James told me last week they might be ready this week but seing as it's Friday it's looking like another week gone by. I find myself staring at the spot they will be going  :green: each day the wait gets harder and harder

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2013, 11:27 pm »
Oh I know, I can't wait. James told me last week they might be ready this week but seing as it's Friday it's looking like another week gone by. I find myself staring at the spot they will be going  :green: each day the wait gets harder and harder

I believe they were shipped today.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2013, 12:12 am »
Woo hoo :thumb: Now I won't be able to sleep all weekend in anticipation :green:

Thanks James, you made my day

Is there a tracking number on these bad boys? If there is can you PM me?

Thanks,

Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2013, 12:14 am »
Woo hoo :thumb: Now I won't be able to sleep all weekend in anticipation :green:

Thanks James, you made my day

Is there a tracking number on these bad boys? If there is can you PM me?

Thanks,

Rod

I will check.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2013, 01:44 am »
Thanks