Battery powered lawn mowers and grass trimmers??

Wind Chaser

Battery powered lawn mowers and grass trimmers??
« on: 17 Jun 2018, 08:09 pm »
My experience with Black and Decker battery powered yard tools says don't even think of it. I've got a bunch of their tools headed for the recycle bin. The problem is their batteries last 2 or 3 seasons at best and then fail to hold an adequate charge. However I still can't help thinking about trying a battery powered mower and grass trimmer by Stihl or Yardworks. Why only those two brands? That's all that is available in my area unless I am willing to drive 5 hours to the big city.

I like the fact that battery powered tools are easy to start (not that my gas mower isn't) plus they are a fair bit quieter and free of emissions. But how many seasons will the battery last before it has to be replaced?

If the online reviews are to be trusted, battery powered lawn mowers are the best thing since sliced bread; but I noticed all the enthusiastic reviews are written by people that haven't owned the tools very long. So what has been your experience?

As a side note, it takes me an hour to mow the lawn with a self propelled gas mower and about 20 minutes to trim all the edges.

BobRex

Re: Battery powered lawn mowers and grass trimmers??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2018, 09:09 pm »
I can't comment on the mowers - I have over a half acre  to cut and I just moved up to a tractor.  But I've been using a Worx trimmer for about 5 years and it's been problem free.  I'm still on the same battery pack, and I can generally get 2 trims out of a charge.  The Worx has a pivoting head, so I use it as an edger and trimmer, probably more as the edger.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2018, 09:11 pm »
I am on my third season with the Black and Decker weed eaters. Hopefully I will have better luck than Wind Chaser. I got tired of replacing the gas powered one I always bought at Walmart every year. I know, weed eaters form Walmart always suck.

I have not read too many great reviews on battery powered mowers.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2018, 10:03 pm »
My Black&Decker battery powered weed eater is in its 4th or 5th season and seems to go as long on a charge as when new. It came with 2 batteries which is a help as I can almost finish the job with one fully charged battery. I know I've had it a while because I've put new string on it twice and probably close to another. I love the thing.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2018, 10:52 pm »
Lithium batteries will not fade out like the older NiMH batteries. New model Black and Decker cordless trimmers use Li-ion batteries.

I tried battery and gas powered lawn tools, but switched to all AC powered cuz they are perfectly reliable and cheap. I don't mind winding up the cord on a speed reel. I do have a Honda gas mower, but it behaves like electric. :)

My father sold outdoor power equipment and parts for 40 years. He sold Stihl's competitors but he always said Stihl was the best.
Happy Father's Day, Dad!  :wave:

ohenry

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2018, 11:42 pm »
I just bought a gas powered Stihl trimmer and blower.  I was really into the battery powered versions, but my dealer talked me out of it saying my yard was too large for them.  I wonder about that.   :scratch:

I have Porter Cable drills and impact drills running on LI-ion for several years and love them.  Very light, powerful and the charge lasts a very long time. 

Unless you are into commercial yard work, I'd get a premium brand battery powered yard set up for at least the trimmer and blower.  The Stihl stuff is quite affordable these days.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:58 am »
Lithium batteries will not fade out like the older NiMH batteries. New model Black and Decker cordless trimmers use Li-ion batteries.

The B&D 18v batts I have are nicads and from the reviews I’ve read, there seems to be a plethora of complaints about those particular cells. I don’t think I got more than 100 cycles, if that, before they failed to hold much of a charge. And I always made a point of fully discharging them and letting them cool down before recharging them.

My understanding is lithium batts don’t have a memory so they can be charged without all the precautions typical of nicads. They are however also much more costly to replace and thus my concern about how many cycles one can reasonably nobly expect to get before having to replace them?

I’m leaning towards another gas powered mower and a battery powered trimmer. Electric would be a viable option if it weren’t for all the trees and obstacles in my yard.

Between Stihl and Yardworks, I’m leaning towards Stihl, but I will factor in how much replacement batteries cost, warranty duration etc before making my decision.

ohenry

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2018, 06:54 am »
The B&D 18v batts I have are nicads and from the reviews I’ve read, there seems to be a plethora of complaints about those particular cells. I don’t think I got more than 100 cycles, if that, before they failed to hold much of a charge. And I always made a point of fully discharging them and letting them cool down before recharging them...

Same here.  I had a blower that was useless after a few seasons and it's too expensive to buy new battery packs.  Another one for the landfill battery depot.  :(

brj

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2018, 07:18 am »
I just bought the Milwaukee LiIon battery powered trimmer about a month ago.  My history with it is short, but so far, I'm impressed with the power.  I'm using it to occasionally clear out undergrowth (weeds/tall grass) from under trees on a hill that is mostly left to natural vegetation, and even with the stock line, it plows through everything with ease - enough so that I've never even come close to testing the listed 1 hour run time before I've finished.

(My other Milwaukee tools have the smaller LiIon batteries, and while I'm not using them heavily, they are at least 5-6 years old at this point, and are not noticeably any weaker than I recall them being when new.)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:54 am »
Had a Black and Decker trimmer for 10 years before batteries died.  Our yard is 2 acres, but with a zero-turn mower not much trimming needed.  Wifey had a gas powered that wouldn't start, cord wasn't an option.  Have a Ryobi (Home Depot's house brand) for the past 2 years that cost less.  Batteries die with almost no warning and don't quit cover the full yard per charge, but I always buy 2 batteries.  Batteries work in all Ryobi stuff and come in a variety of sizes.

Have always liked the concept of battery power mower for a small lawn.

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:12 pm »
We gave up on our Stihi batt power yards tools years ago. They might be ok for a really small job but weeding a acre home site and cutting st Augustine grass well we just went to Stihi gas products and have never looked back.  My wife can start the weed eater and edger and she is 60.

But if you are not in a hurry batt power might work for some but we are right now mowing twice a week thanks to the rain so I want power and I want it now to complete the job and get out of this 90% humidity and 88 degree heat.

Stercom

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:51 pm »
I use Greenworks Pro 80V lithium mower, blower and trimmer.  I've had them for two seasons with no problems. Plenty of power. A little on the expensive side but worth the convenience of just switching the battery around. Instant start and no emissions. (My neighbor had the Black and Decker products and hated them. I think it was only 40V)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2018, 01:55 pm »
I was looking at the Greenworks 80v mower but they don't call it "pro" here in Canada, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/greenworks-80v-lithium-brushless-cordless-lawn-mower-21-in-0601702p.html#srp

Also, they don't carry an 80v trimmer, they have the 60v which kind of sucks because it would be nice to share the same battery. 

So I'm leaning towards a gas powered mower by either Honda or Stihl, but I have yet to research gas mowers. As for the trimmer, I will go with lithium battery powered unit and see what happens.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2018, 02:14 pm »
There was a recent thread on Toronto Golf Nuts about these mowers.

The OP ended up buying an Ego at HD.  Some positive thoughts about Ryobi and Black and Decker too.

I use an electric trimmer and blower from B&D - shared battery pack.  The 20v L-ion battery does fine for both devices for my property (small suburban lot of approx 115x40) to do front and back.

I have a 13 year old Snapper gas mower (Briggs and Stratton 5hp engine) that still starts on the first pull.  I have one area in my back yard that is frequently wet (the way the yards slope it seems to collect water) and so that area I would be hesitant to take an electric into - not sure it would have the power to mulch somewhat wet grass.  Even the gas mower can choke at times.

Other than that, I would gladly consider a battery mower - I grew up on corded electric mowers on a larger lot (160x80) and that was a LOT of coiling up the 100 foot cord after mowing.  I hated that, and bought a gas mower for this house when we moved in.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2018, 02:25 pm »
I use an electric trimmer and blower from B&D - shared battery pack.  The 20v L-ion battery does fine...

How many years have these batteries given you so far?

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:57 pm »
This is year 3 for the 1 battery that serves both trimmer and blower.  It was a spur of the moment thing when my gas trimmer died and the package was on for $99 locally. 

I had a gas Echo trimmer ($180 or so) for 10 years.  It was good, but I felt like a jackass using it - the city uses the same trimmers for the work around parks etc.  It was really loud even when just carrying around the yard running, let alone on full burst.  The electric is a lot more social in the burbs - silent when not trimming, and not that loud even when full out.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2018, 07:53 pm »
I bought a corded Weed Eater trimmer in 1993. I use a 75 foot cord stored on a reel. I'm about ready to replace the Weed Eater, it is not up to trimming our new 850sf TifGrand Bermuda grass which is more dense. Can't argue about the performance, and probably will get another corded trimmer.

kclark0395

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2018, 08:19 pm »
I just bought a new mower after the engine on my Toro seized after nearly 20 years of service. Home Depot tried to sell me on a battery powered mower but when they could not reliably answer my questions about battery life I shopped elsewhere and ended up with a Troy Built front drive gas mower. My yard is small so a battery unit would no doubt cut it on a single charge, but I can't see these lasting 20 years like my last mower did, and new one should. I did try a Honda which was the best mower I've ever used for cutting, especially for tall grass, and was really well designed. Problem was it was RWD and more difficult to maneuver and control speed so it went back.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:07 pm »
I did try a Honda which was the best mower I've ever used for cutting, especially for tall grass, and was really well designed. Problem was it was RWD and more difficult to maneuver and control speed so it went back.

Thanks for pointing the difference between FWD and RWD; I had not considered that.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jun 2018, 01:30 am »
In 2012 we bought a Worx electric mower for our small city yard. The battery died this year. What I didn’t know - probably because I didn’t bother to read the directions as per usual - is that the battery should not be charged for more than 4 hours at a time or you risk damaging the battery. Of course, I would usually leave it being charge over night. It works fine for what it is despite it’s toy-like appearance.

https://www.amazon.com/Worx-WG775-Cordless-Electric-Mower/dp/B007PC67L2

Cheers,
Lester