Ender's Battle Room for most platforms

Woodsea

Ender's Battle Room for most platforms
« on: 24 Dec 2008, 02:19 am »
Orson Scott Card Working on Ender's VideoGame
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=63075
The SciFi Wire interviewed Hugo award winning writer Orson Scott Card about a number of things related to his Ender's series. One of which was if he had plans for a videogame adaptation in the works (thanks, MTV Multiplayer). I'm actually reading some of those books now believe it or not. The first one is awesome but the others have just put me to sleep (which I guess is better than taking a swig of Nyquel before bed).

I've heard that an Ender video game is also in the works. What can you tell us about that?

I'm working on the game with Chair Entertainment, a team I collaborated with on my novel Empire, which began as a rudimentary story for their video game of the same title. Since then, Empire has been optioned by Warner Brothers, and Chair was acquired by Epic, which funded them in developing a much fuller version of the Empire game. Once that game ships, we'll be in a position to keep Ender's Game moving forward.

My hope and plan is that the Ender's Game computer and console games will not be mere tellings of the story, but rather true games with a high degree of replayability. In other words, you don't play the game once, so you can act out the story (as with, say, the Harry Potter movie-based games), and then discard it. The Ender's Game games will immerse you in the experience of different aspects of the life of these kids who train together in order to fight the war. I can see a Battle School online game as well as a Battle Room game, various Formic War games, even the Mind Game (or Fantasy Game) that Ender plays relentlessly on his computer.

The basic synopsis is that humanity is fighting against a hostile insectiod alien species that lives some 80 light years away. They travel at slightly less than light speed, so it literally takes 80 years to get from system to system. They've already invaded Earth twice. Fully expecting a third wave, the military has been breeding promising military leaders who can command their fleets against them in a preemptive strike.
Topics: Games: Space Shooter, Space Strategy
Related Games: Ender's Game: Battle Room (PC): Ender's Game: Battle Room (Xbox 360), Ender's Game: Battle Room (PlayStation 3)
I hope this lives up to the original book!

ooheadsoo

Re: Ender's Battle Room for most platforms
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2008, 02:47 am »
Read the other "Ender's" books if you liked the first one, like Ender's Shadow etc.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:54 am »
They are going to have to be extremely  clever to pull this  off. I couldn't imagine how they could create a genuinely adaptive strategic game play as it did in the book. I do think that this generation  of consoles are what it would take to do the 3d gravitylessness justice. To me the key novel concept that drove the story line were these children thinking and carrying the responsibility as adults.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:59 am »
Now that I think about it, that intensely competitive environment must be mentioned as well.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:35 pm »
The whole series of books is well done.  If they can get the atmosphere of brilliant, egotistical kids ripped from their families with the right voice acting and inspired facial expressions it can be done. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2008, 04:43 am »
Glad to see he is still working on this - I have read the Homecoming series by Card  in the last year. Also I have read several columns he wrote (on current events) that appeared in a free weekly paper distributed in this part of NC (he lives in Greensboro, NC).

This would be a nice series of games if they ever get developed...

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2008, 05:04 am »
Wow I didn't realize that Card wrote the Ultimate Iron Man series for Marvel!

"Having written the Ultimate Iron Man series for Marvel, I had already had the experience of seeing a script come to life; but with the Ender's Game (and Ender's Shadow) comics, because other people are doing it, it comes to me as a surprise each time I get a set of panels. "

I am not a comic book reader by and large, but I think I will have to check it out and also watch the movie!