Video card or media player?

mcgsxr

Video card or media player?
« on: 15 Jan 2011, 02:52 pm »
Interesting times in terms of convergence around PC based audio and video.

I have a music server in my basement, that could be used for serving stored movies too.  It is an older PC, but I could upgrade the video card to something HDMI, and run it up through the floor.

Or, I could pick up an HP Media Player, or Seagate Media Player etc.

Thoughts?

ebag4

Re: Video card or media player?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:52 pm »
If you are planning on ripping Blu-Ray movies I would recommend the Networked Media Player route.  You could still use your old PC for ripping and storage although I had better luck plugging an external HDD directly into the NMT.

I attempted to play BD movies with an older P4 (3G) and did not have much luck, too much stuttering.  The same PC had no issue playing standard DVDs so if that is your goal a video card may be the way to go.

Best,
Ed

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:01 pm »
My display is only 720P, so no BD in my immediate future.

I plan only on displaying captive movies, not looking for Netflix or anything at this time either, so I think the card is the way to go.  Then again, I have never experienced any streaming content, so perhaps there is much out there to desire?  I will run it wired ethernet either way.

For audio output, since the newer cards have HDMI, does that mean they have sound built in, or just route your existing PC sound out that output?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2011, 04:18 pm »
Usually they route the sound via HDMI also but thats not automatic and may be sound card dependent.
The best computer advice I ever got was "buy as much of the future tech as you can afford"...
Is your processor fast enough to support a video card that has HDMI, which I think will be 720P at least. Alot of graphics cards come with there own processor built in but they can start to push the price up.
 There are a ton of variables

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:12 pm »
I probably made it all worse to sort out...OOPS

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:29 pm »
It is an older box, the PC in question.

Dell Dimension 8300 - P4 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM.  Lots of room in it, can hold 3 HD's.  Currently has an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 card in it, which is great for my 21 inch display, but no HDMI output.

I just want to figure out if it is worth investing ~$50 in a card, or just pop for a $100 media server.  Already have wireless keyboard and mouse or iTouch I could use if I go with the card.  If I go with the media server, I am confident my Logitech 880 can learn what to do.

My buddy bought a Boxee, but I don't need wifi, or Netflix etc.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm »
You could just get a conversion plug, VGA to HDMI...I think they have them....? Newegg, Tiger Direct...

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:38 pm »
I am sure they exist, but a converter wouldn't carry sound for sure - don't want to have to string RCA's up through the floor too - if HDMI won't do it, then I will just go media toy.

This ancient PC is likely not the best platform, even for just serving up movies of an HD, but I figured I would explore it.

I think it can only use AGP cards, and those with HDMI are not that popular, but I am researching.  I found an ASUS AH4650 that seems to fit the bill for $50.  Not sure about the audio though, still reading.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:46 pm »
Forgot about the audio....

skunark

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2011, 06:03 pm »
Several blu-ray players support DLNA home network media share, and many will allow you to attach a USB drive. The interfaces tend to be clunky, video support can be limited to certain codecs or bit rates but audio support is normally there for 16/44.1.    If you do use iTunes for your music you can't go wrong with the latest Apple TV to stream music and video for $100 and a child can use that interface.    Also consider a gaming console. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2011, 06:05 pm »
I would think my wife would appreciate the Apple interface, but I doubt she will often pick a movie anyway.

I use a Logitech SB3 (Bolder modded) for my music, and currently don't use iTunes.

Thanks for the idea though - a gaming console is also a decent idea, but I don't game.

Great point about the newer DVD players and USB ports though - my 1 year old Pioneer has a USB port on it, I will review the owners manual, and see what that thing is capable of - I may already own a solution!

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:54 pm »
The Pioneer owners manual is pretty thin on detail for playing back movies off an attached USB drive, but I guess I could load one up and explore.

I also have another PC around the house that could be used - it can use more modern PCI Express cards, so that one could get hooked up with an HDMI video card that supports audio.

skunark

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2011, 09:29 pm »
If google TV didn't get such bad reviews, I would probably suggest you look into the Logitech version but if you don't have a lot invested in movies in terms of certain formats then I would probably still suggest an Apple TV + Handbrake solution and still backup the files on your computer.

Before the days of the TB HDDs, I initially started to backup all of my DVDs before I realized the value wasn't there for how much storage space was required for how little I watched the movies.  Also as codecs improve, I've always wanted to re-rip the DVDs and then the time factor just wasn't there.   So then i signed up for Netflix mail service and then cancelled around the time blu-ray appeared so that was short lived for me.   I picked up the Apple TV when it came out, and realized for the amount of TV I watched, I decided to downgrade my Cable TV to just local HD channels and just focus on blu-rays and Apple TV purchases and then rentals/VOD.  Overall, I felt i had a more convenient, higher quality entertainment solution for less dollars.   The only way to improve the quality further is to dump Cable all together and use an over-the-air HD antenna.   It's amazing how much your cable provide compresses the video, it's really apparent on larger sized TVs.

This setup worked reasonable well too, but when the second generation Apple TV came out with Netflix support it's a whole new level.  Sure I've seen Netflix on the gaming consoles but the interfaces were really clunky and just wasn't a good solution for music either.    But Apple TV has turned into a great value at the $100 price point.   Yes it's only 720p and Yes it doesn't do hi-rez, but anyone can use and now with netflix it's a bonus.  For $100, you might actually give it a go and you can always review the store return policy before you buy it if you are still on the fence.

flintstone

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm »
Netflix streams look standard DVD quality on my Wii .............the kids use it all the time (I have Comcast cable....very fast). The old Dell computer you have won't cut it..............don't bother............it's only good for the web, and $50 video cards are crap anyway......... IMO.

Dave

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2011, 04:44 pm »
The old Dell computer you have won't cut it

Likely very true, but for just serving movies I thought it might do.

I have found a WD Live box for $50, might give that a go.

Cheap way to get all my FLAC to the HT room, and also to view movies stored on an HD.

Thanks for the replies guys,