New member wanting to learn and contribute

frankpic

New member wanting to learn and contribute
« on: 23 Feb 2020, 01:38 pm »
Hello all. I am new to the forum yet not new to the hobby. I have been intrigued with the reproduction of music for the home for a long time and over the last 10 years have been focused on getting the best return on my investment. I have seen the price of audiophile equipment got up significantly and as a result need to find the hidden gems out there. As a result I have built a system that provides extremely good results with a relatively low investment. I am looking to hear from others and products and ideas that can raise the level of performance and fun all within a reasonable budget. Happy listening to all.

I use a Psvane 2 chassis preamp (bought used), Psvane mono tube amps (bought used), Opera Consonance music streamer (bought new), Rel sub (used), and a pair of Ascend Acoustics Towers with Rel ribbons (bought new).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member wanting to learn and contribute
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2020, 01:49 pm »
Welcome Frank :thumb:

frankpic

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2020, 01:50 pm »
Thanks!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2020, 02:26 pm »
Nice system. And Welcome.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2020, 02:52 pm »
Welcome!

Your goal for good sound at reasonable prices is shared by most, the rub comes from defining "good" and "relatively low investment".  Like many things, audio suffers terribly from the phenomenon of diminishing returns.  BTW I'm an Ascend Acoustics fan too, having owned the original CBM-170's for nearly 20 years and still loving them.  Heavily investing in high-end digital sources is not wise as technology keeps marching forward so quickly that the analogy of dog years is laughable. 

I find that good sound has never been easier and cheaper to obtain, example:

1.)  CD quality streaming ($20/month or less for access to millions of albums and no on-site storage needed);

2.)  Active monitors (for instance JBL 305 Mk2, $300/pair, can be used on desktop or to fill a medium sized room);

3.)  NAD Node 2i ($550, streamer, DAC, preamp, just add interconnects and RCA/XLR adapters for the 305 Mk 2's, no computer needed).

So for $900 (plus stands if listening in-room) you can have a very enjoyable system.

Obviously I'm big on the importance of the room, IMO most audiophiles way over spend on gear for the given room as most listening spaces are small, ill shaped, shared (not allowing for ideal setup or when you want to listen), not sonically isolated, and not treated.  I'd take a decent room with the above system to a $100,000 system in the typical setting any day.  For most that can't develop a decent room headphones are the practical, if soundstage/imaging compromised, audiophile approach sound reproduction.

Another huge factor that nearly every audiophile ignores is the inherent in-room bass peaks/dips which can be up to 30 dB.  Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, a consummate audiophile guide to how speakers behave in-room and how to address those peaks/dips. 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:04 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2020, 05:38 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle. :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2020, 07:15 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Frank    :thumb:

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2020, 07:48 pm »
Looks nice, for taking it up a notch I would check out Isoacustic isolation stands for your speakers and sub and check out a good power conditioner.

frankpic

« Reply #9 on: 29 Feb 2020, 01:49 pm »
Thanks all for the warm welcome. Looking forward to learning more from you.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2020, 04:32 am »
This is a really great site, nice, helpful folks.  You have an awesome system.