What's your favorite tube amp?

AllanS

Re: What's your favorite tube amp?
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2023, 12:37 pm »
It's not just amps.  It's also tubes.  I counted up all the tubes I own the other day and it was insane - over 540 tubes.  And 7 tube amps.  The possible combinations are near infinite.
3.74^21

JakeJ

« Reply #81 on: 21 May 2023, 02:29 pm »
LOL!  I took a look at my original post in this thread and, my-oh-my, the passing of time.

The next month (May 2010) I got sextuple bypass surgery.  The vintage stack is gone except for the Fisher set.  Never got the shed built so I am still renting, grrr.  The Dynacos are also long gone but I still have the VAC PA-160 monos, which are push pull with one's choice of most of the 6L6 family.  To my ear they sound best with Gold Lion KT88's and Sylvania 6SN7 chrome domes. in ultralinear mode.  My other favorite tube amps are my deHavilland Aries 845 G monoblocks for SET.  Just picked up a Joule Electra LA-100 Mk III line stage with OPS-1 stage for the express purpose of assembling a curated system of the JE feeding the 845's to a pair of Super V's.  Also have a pair of Super 7's in the works and I'm bettin' the 845's will sound incredible with them, too  I have a variety of DACs and tuners but the SOTA turntable will be the primary source.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #82 on: 21 May 2023, 04:05 pm »
LOL!  I took a look at my original post in this thread and, my-oh-my, the passing of time.

The next month (May 2010) I got sextuple bypass surgery.  The vintage stack is gone except for the Fisher set.  Never got the shed built so I am still renting, grrr.  The Dynacos are also long gone but I still have the VAC PA-160 monos, which are push pull with one's choice of most of the 6L6 family.  To my ear they sound best with Gold Lion KT88's and Sylvania 6SN7 chrome domes. in ultralinear mode.  My other favorite tube amps are my deHavilland Aries 845 G monoblocks for SET.  Just picked up a Joule Electra LA-100 Mk III line stage with OPS-1 stage for the express purpose of assembling a curated system of the JE feeding the 845's to a pair of Super V's. Also have a pair of Super 7's in the works and I'm bettin' the 845's will sound incredible with them, too  I have a variety of DACs and tuners but the SOTA turntable will be the primary source.

How the hell do you have a pair of Super 7's in the works?  The drivers have been unubtanium for years now.  (BTW, Super 7's are what I run and I love them with tube amps).
« Last Edit: 21 May 2023, 06:50 pm by Tyson »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #83 on: 21 May 2023, 05:43 pm »
It's not just amps.  It's also tubes.  I counted up all the tubes I own the other day and it was insane - over 540 tubes.  And 7 tube amps.  The possible combinations are near infinite.
Nice, so please post some photos here to we see these beauties:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173996.0

JakeJ

« Reply #84 on: 27 May 2023, 12:06 am »
How the hell do you have a pair of Super 7's in the works?  The drivers have been unubtanium for years now.  (BTW, Super 7's are what I run and I love them with tube amps).

Hmm...I thought I had responded to your post but I think I forgot to hit the "post" button.  Apologies.  I found the Neo10's on US Audio Mart and bought the Neo3 PDR's from Parts Express.  They are all pre-Christie Digital, so true BG product.  I've had them for more than five years.  Need to give Captainhemo a shout and see what's going on with that.

SET Man

« Reply #85 on: 28 May 2023, 03:30 am »
Hey!

Yup, time sure flies! I replied to this post 13 years ago back in April 2010! See post #42 on this thread.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80352.40

Well, it is now 2023. Beside new turntable/tonearm, my system haven't changed much. I still use the same Welborne Lab SET monoblocks. But back in 2012, I picked up a used Bel Canto 845 SET. Most people especially younger audiophile probably don't know that Bel Canto started out making SET 845 amps before they switched to the darkside or should I said the bright side of Class-D amp... please no flame here, I know that newer Class-D amp are better now.

Anyway, I've always love the look of this amp. It is a blend of Art Deco and Machine Age look to me. With those golden rings tube case, it reminded me of the 1927 "Metropolis" movie, which is one of my all time favorite by the way. The Bel Canto 845 sound great, love the drive, the bass and spatial feel to the sound. I have no problem listening to both amps, they are both enjoyable. But I still prefer the Welborne Lab overall still, I do love the midrange of the Welborne Lab. By the way, my Welborne Lab SET will turn 24 years old this December.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #86 on: 28 May 2023, 03:35 am »
Hey!

Yup, time sure flies! I replied to this post 13 years ago back in April 2010! See post #42 on this thread.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80352.40

Well, it is now 2023. Beside new turntable/tonearm, my system haven't changed much. I still use the same Welborne Lab SET monoblocks. But back in 2012, I picked up a used Bel Canto 845 SET. Most people especially younger audiophile probably don't know that Bel Canto started out making SET 845 amps before they switched to the darkside or should I said the bright side of Class-D amp... please no flame here, I know that newer Class-D amp are better now.

Anyway, I've always love the look of this amp. It a blend of Art Deco and Machine Age look to me. With those golden rings tube case, it reminded me of the 1927 "Metropolis" movie, which is one of my all time favorite by the way. The Bel Canto 845 sound great, love the drive, the bass and spatial feel to the sound. I have no problem listening to both amps, they are both enjoyable. But I still prefer the Welborne Lab overall still, I do love the midrange of the Welborne Lab. By the way, my Welborne Lab SET will turn 24 years old this December.

A lover of fine tubes and fine cinema!  I also really like Metropolis. 

mvalentiner

« Reply #87 on: 28 May 2023, 07:08 am »
My favorite is m Atma-Sphere S-30:

SET Man

« Reply #88 on: 29 May 2023, 10:54 pm »
A lover of fine tubes and fine cinema!  I also really like Metropolis.

Hey!

Tyson, have you seen the last restored version of the "Metropolis" which considered to be a completed version with found missing footage from Argentina? Sadly, the found footage is on 16mm copy from 35mm, so the quality is not great but it does fill in a lot of missing piece.

Love that movie, really the birth of Sci-fi movie there. And every time I turn on the Bel Canto 845 and see the glow of the 845 reflecting on those ring towers tube cages it reminded me of the scene of the robot Maria coming alive! Super cool!

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #89 on: 29 May 2023, 11:32 pm »
Went up the Octave line and ended at this- V70 Class A. This is sonic heaven for me driving my Spatial M3 Sapphires with ease.

marc513

« Reply #90 on: 30 May 2023, 02:25 am »
Mine started with VTL 125 mono blocks then
A Larry Moore custom 845 very nice but to
Low power for my speakers .I now run a
NAT Se2Se amp with 211 tubes . I also have
Had about 6 or 7 tube preamps . I now use
A aesthetix rhea phono stage to a passive
LDR volume control. I like it a lot .
        Marc

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #91 on: 30 May 2023, 10:41 am »
Last year I picked up a little VTL ST85 for the Magnepan LRS+ system.
It really demonstrates what Luke Manley said about how the sound isn't so rounded off like the earlier VTL products.
I retubed it with EH 6CA7s and old Sylvanias and it worked out really well.

JakeJ

« Reply #92 on: 30 May 2023, 06:29 pm »
That's a sweet looking amp, Steve.  Can you drive the LRS+'s in triode mode?  Which does your ear prefer?  My VAC PA-160's can run in triode, ultralinear, and pentode.  Also it can use all the 6L6 family up to the KT88.  I found that Gold Lion KT88 in ultralinear mode sounds best to me.  I did try my deHavilland 845 amps with my 3.6r's but it was just too anemic.

Freo-1

« Reply #93 on: 30 May 2023, 08:23 pm »
Would also love a pair of these in the listening space:

https://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/03/making-of-211-amplifier-part-3.html

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 30 May 2023, 08:26 pm »
JakeJ,
I tried it in triode but switched to tetrode.
Maybe with more efficient speakers triode would work out better but not with the little Maggies.
It's perfect in a small bedroom system, plenty of punch.

The deHavilland sounds like the Carver 275 the VTL replaced, good sound quality but no dynamics.

JakeJ

« Reply #95 on: 30 May 2023, 09:45 pm »

The deHavilland sounds like the Carver 275 the VTL replaced, good sound quality but no dynamics.

I assure you it was the mismatch of 22 Watt/ch amps trying to drive a load only suited for ~100 Watts.  Your VTL has just enough juice thanks in part to the room size.  However, when the deHavillands are connected to the right speaker...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 30 May 2023, 09:59 pm »
I have no doubt of that, Ms. Chafee has a good ear. 
I tried to talk her into reentering the fray but no luck.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #97 on: 30 May 2023, 10:39 pm »

WTF is this face plate!! looks a 15mm solid CNC aluminium, wonder what lead a famous Hi-End brand to put a expensive face plate like this blocking the tubes view.

Denton J

« Reply #98 on: 30 May 2023, 11:38 pm »
I put myself on the waitlist for a Decware SET.  At least I have time to get a hold of some high sensitive speakers.  I'm strongly considering GR Research Nx Oticas, anyone have experience with them or have other speakers that work well with low watts?  (I got the 6 watt SET model)

Freo-1

« Reply #99 on: 30 May 2023, 11:52 pm »
Klipsch La Scala or Klipschorns.