FREE MUSIC offer...part II

nickspicks

« on: 26 Dec 2003, 05:28 pm »
I got the spirit in me!
:)

now this is a real trreat...but w/a wart.  I'll explain.

the artist is Steve Kimock.  This is his band, the Steve Kimock Band.

Steve is a rather obscure guitarist from the west coast that grew up in shadows of all the great SanFran guitarists of the 60's and 70's.  This guy has more talant than you could imagine.  

the rest of the band is Rodney Holmes on drums, Mitch Stein on guitar and Andy Livingston on bass.  All instrumental.  

Above all else, this is jazz, though be it a great mix of everything in between!

The recording (done by me) was made at the Palladium in Worcester Mass this past February.  I had the bands permission to run my microphone on the stage, dead center, so this is a mix of the "on stage" sounds of their amps and the monitors.
The wart:
This was my first outing w/a new microphone that kept clipping at first.  Luckily, I was using etymotic 4p in ear monitors and could hear my recording over the band and was able to fix it after only a couple of static spots where the mic overloaded.

Why should you care?
first off, the music here is amazing stuff.  Cant describe it.  completely mind blowing and tight...like a swiss watch!

2ndly, the recording.  My gear this night consisted of:
Soundfield ST-250 stereo microphone
this is among the finest and most advanced stereo microphone on the planet.  NOT a bogus claim at all.  I ran it utilizing the Mid-Side stereo technique which I matrixed on the fly via the soundfield stereo controll unit.
The preamp and Analog to Digital converter was a Grace Design Lunatec V3, recorded at 24bit / 44.1khz and dithered using Grace's own A.N.S.R. (analog noise shape reduction) dithering scheme, outputting straight 16/44.1 PCM via S/PDIF coax
Recorded via TOSLINK input (spdif format converter in between) to my Nomad JukeBox 3.  bit accurate and uncompressed .wav files.

The mic and the Grace V3 are abosolute HIGH END in the field recording world, and the stage placement w/this gear really comes through nicely on this recording.

So, if you are interested....
email or PM me w/your mailing address and I"ll happily send AUDIO copies to those who respond.  You have to let me know what you think of Kimock though.  
:)

nickspicks

Kimock download...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2003, 06:00 pm »
fyi, you can download this show here:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=3508

its a single .zip file (533mb) that consists of the individual SHN files

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2003, 06:23 pm »
first off, the music here is amazing stuff. Cant describe it. completely mind blowing and tight...like a swiss watch!

AGREED!

Also, Rodney is amazing on the drums.  He looks like he's 12, but good grief!  When he gets going!  Same with Steve though.  Kimock is truly one of the greats, and in fact was Garcia's favorite guitarist.  

My fav one is Tongue and Groove.

I think I might have that show BTW Nick!  I'll have to check the date on that Feb. one I have. . .

By the way. . . Do you have the DSO with Kimock? ? ?  It's one of my very high rotation shows right now!

Thanks again for serving some stuff up for us!

B

Mad DOg

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2003, 05:49 am »
with mgalusha's assistance, i was able to download and decompress to wav files...it's pretty cool stuff! thanks alot nick!!! :thumb:

and thank you, mgalusha!  :)

nickspicks

Kimmie..
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2003, 12:36 pm »
I'm glad you all approve.
Kimock is no doubt a special musician.  His guitar playing inspires me, I find it uplifting.  

As for the 9-4 DSO show w/Steve...yea, I have it.  Gatta love that Supplication!  Wow...what could have been.

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2004, 10:06 pm »
recieved my copy today-
very well recorded(2nd cd havent played the first yet)
anyone who asked for a copy is in for a treat :guitar:
thanx -nickspicks :mrgreen:

nickspicks

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2004, 10:23 pm »
cool...
glad you like!
d1 is my favorite, despite the "hickup" in the begining.
i"m recording him again on 2-28 at "the middle east" in cambridge MA.
looking forward to it...and using very nice DPA microphones.  I'll be sure to offer it up again.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:11 pm »
I received my copy too yesterday.  I watched the NFL so I didn't get a chance to listen.  Looking forward to it though.
Thanks, nick.

Marbles

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2004, 03:32 pm »
Got my copy yesterday...Sounds really really great.

It reminds me of Grant Green Live at the Lighthouse.

If you've ever heard that, this is more of the same, only slightly different.

Thanks Nickspicks, it is a great recording.

nickspicks

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2004, 04:19 pm »
I have not heard that, but I love Grant Green just from the little bit I do have, which is  Jimmy Smith - "I'm movin' on".  He kicks ass on that disc.

as I may have mentioned...I'll be catching Kimock at the Middle East in Cambridge next month. I've been granted "good positioning" from his staff, in regards to my recording location.

While not on-stage, I'll be probably 20-30' back and will pick up the house system more than the amps themselves.  Still, their sound guy is real good and I have no doubt that the reocording will capture the energy of the room in fine form.

I'll be sure to offer it up once I have it all mastered and edited.
thanks for the kudos on the recording.
fyi, there are 300 + SKB shows on archive.org.  All free to be downloaded.  Plus, he just started a download service of *very* nice multi-track sources from all of his live shows.  
you can check him out, and learn all there is to know on www.kimock.com
great web site too!  Best flash work i've seen.

BradJudy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2004, 11:40 pm »
I'll throw in my thanks too.  I'm listening to the first disc now - first rate stuff.  Time to burn the second disc.   :D

Thanks,

Brad

infiniti driver

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2004, 10:09 pm »
I completed downloading the tracks and I thank you for making them available! I hope you do not mind me being picky...but live recording is a chore as is and as I say, I appreciate the capture.

A few hints.

1. Always make your adjustments during the first song. Have them play prolonged. Then announce to the audience that a live recording is being made and it is time to start the concert. That was the warmup. Leave at least 9dB hearoom above the loudest of rimshots. I noticed changes and some clipping at times of the mic pres. Not terrible but it is there forever.

In my practice, I like to "set everything" during a first set. Then the recording happens after that. If the show IS the first set, then the above applies. The audience will understand and will enjoy being a part of the recording. Watch the M/S and use panning of 9-3 on a stereo microphone if you can. A direct feed from the PA board (sub out) to another 2 tracks is also nice for a future mixdown.

I would be happy to master this live recording for you at no charge if you would like that. I hear a lot of "really fine" going on and I hear some warts. Warts can be fixed. Really fine can be improved as well. Some mild EQ in the 210 range (cut) and some in the extream top and bottom would not hurt.

Look, I am not knocking it at all! It is great!...otherwise a great performance could never be heard! I hope you let me do some work with it if you will.

PM will work. I have 5 live gigs to record this week so I am in the zone so to speak. I use B&K 4006 (3529system) and some board feeds and remix later is the way I do it, and then mastering.

When mastering this, I would expand the 2tk mix to 16 tracks. I would do some frequency division on the new tracks and some panning. It will still be the same performance except their would be some matching enabled where the changes occur. This is the only way to repair that and the whole album would enjoy that consistancy.

Again, it is a very nice performance and time.