Questions regarding PH Regs for Buffalo DAC

icyjellybean

Questions regarding PH Regs for Buffalo DAC
« on: 4 Mar 2013, 05:55 am »
I bought a pair of Z173v3 and a Z1P5v45 for my Buffalo II a long time ago (think it's back in 2010), and they were the best upgrades so far!

I recently ordered a Buffalo III, and would like to upgrade to a full set (five) of mini regulators. The problem is, I can't remember the amount of current that was set for my Z1P5v45. How do I find out?

How many mA does the "full set" require? Is it possible to modify the Z1P in case I need to increase the current output?

Thank you in advance!

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Re: Questions regarding PH Regs for Buffalo DAC
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:20 pm »
The 3v3 shunt regulator for the Buffalo dac is now the Z7803v3, to match the pinout on the Buffalo PCB, and I usually set this for 120ma output nowadays to ensure enough headroom when the data processing gets busy. Each of these Z78 regs will draw a total of 150ma. This means that the four shunt regs draw 600ma in total. This does not allow for the S1701v2 reg current draw, which will add to the load the VD supply will see. Overall the Z1P shunt reg I originally supplied for the VD supply cannot run at this current level without exceeding safe operating temperatures. The PR3-05 mounted on a metal chassis, or a small heatsink, is now used in place of the original Z1P as this can supply the required current easily.