S&B TVC +SS Buffer

klamka

S&B TVC +SS Buffer
« on: 14 Dec 2007, 08:16 pm »
I'm contemplating idea of using discrete op-amp buffer after S&B 102 TVC  in bi-tri amp tube system , I'd like to have low impedance source to drive all amps and cables . Any pros , cons of such setup ??
Regards

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: S&B TVC +SS Buffer
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2007, 03:53 pm »
Hello!

Depending on your listening level (ie how far down from the top volume settings you normally run) you very likely already have a nice low output impedance without the buffer. This is the reason to put the $ into the TVC in the first place!

In the new TAP version there will be a buffer but the buffer is actually before the level control - and really meant to be there for sources that would have trouble driving any passive pre-amp. Kind of a helper.

The setup you describe will likely work just fine - many folks have used TVC's in active pre-amps as the level control before the gain/buffer stages. Always  have reported good results and there is no reason it won't work well so if you have a buffer you'd like to play with it would be fun to do that testing for sure.  If you want a quick test of that kind of setup just grab a burson buffer or similar and put it in line before the crossover. Keep in mind in a bi/triamp setup (likely line level electonic crossovers?)  that the pre-amp actually drives the crossover - not the amps after the crossover.

Thanks!

John

klamka

Re: S&B TVC +SS Buffer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2007, 09:40 pm »
Thank you John !
I will try to use passive line level crossovers and the SET amps to drive channels have ~200k input impedance and enough gain (I think) So it should work even without buffer ,even with my phono pre ~1k output impedance. I'll try it out without the buffer (the one I'm thinking of would probably cost $600-1K) . Funny, that  I notice the TVC benefits only when I replace it with something else . I usually worry about amps and speakers and tend to forget that this gizmo sits in between .It doesn't bring attention to itself -must be what audiopholes call neutral heh heh .
Regards, K