Cheap & cheerful Interconnects ?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: Cheap & cheerful Interconnects ?
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2013, 03:09 pm »
I thought impedance matching was the important part to reduce reflected waves from the connectors back into the cable.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2013, 03:42 pm »
For speaker cables.

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2013, 03:54 pm »
Here is an insert right from Bluejeans cables:

The Cable: Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable

The most important attributes of a line-level unbalanced audio cable are (1) shielding, and (2) capacitance. Heavy shielding protects audio signals from interference from outside sources. LC-1 Audio Cable uses a heavy double-braid shield, with one bare copper braid laid directly over another for extreme high coverage and high conductivity to ground; this is the identical shield configuration to Canare LV-77S, which tested best in our review of audio cable hum rejection characteristics (LC-1 hadn't been designed yet so wasn't tested at that time). By shrinking the center conductor to 25 AWG and foaming the polyethylene dielectric, we were able to get capacitance down to an extremely low 12.2 pF/ft, much better than LV-77S at 21 pF/ft. Capacitance can be important, particularly in long cable runs, because it contributes to rolloff of higher frequencies. The softer dielectric material and smaller center conductor, meanwhile, make the cable highly flexible and easy to route. LC-1 is built exclusively for Blue Jeans Cable by Belden, the leader in American communications cable, and is rated CM for in-wall installation in residential and commercial environments. For more information and specs on LC-1, read our "LC-1 Design Notes" article.

Wayner

smata67

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2013, 12:47 am »
I like vampire cables.  Nelson Pass, I believe, recommended them awhile back on diyaudio.  You can get a 10m interconnect for $30 and cut it up and build yourself 5 pairs of 3' interconnects with your own connectors.  Hard to beat at $3 per interconnect (+ the cost of connectors, but a budget audiophile should have at least 10 laying around somewhere).

http://www.vampirewire.com/viewcategory.php?groupid=12

apollophono

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jun 2013, 02:27 am »
I've tried the Mogami interconnects from Redco and they do the job nicely
and paying $7-$10 definitely fits into the C&C category :thumb:

persisting1

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jun 2013, 08:09 pm »
Has anyone tried flat ribbon cables like these silver ones?.

These ones are injected with oil? I wonder if it's synthetic or regular?  :lol:

srb

« Reply #26 on: 4 Jun 2013, 08:22 pm »
These ones are injected with oil? I wonder if it's synthetic or regular?  :lol:

Potentially leaking oil tubes aside, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around exactly what a "Tube Amplifier Analog Speaker Bass RCA CD Player" cable might be.

Steve

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #27 on: 4 Jun 2013, 08:36 pm »
Potentially leaking oil tubes aside, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around exactly what a "Tube Amplifier Analog Speaker Bass RCA CD Player" cable might be.

Steve

Apparently it's not intended for use as a digital spdif cable. YMMV

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 5 Jun 2013, 10:44 am »
I've been using Scott Endler for all my signal cabling.  He a one man shop and does all custom orders with options for RCA/XLR, Cardas, banana/spade, etc. Good cable, great prices, support a little guy from the USA.

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2013, 06:20 am »
I've had my Blue Jeans LC-1 for a couple weeks now and am very pleased with it. Seems to be very well built and sounds great  I'd say it has even improved the sound stage, more air and seperation .  Very clean  and lots of detail.
The  RCA plugs  fit  snug  but not  excessively tight.   They are a bit big but I don't see them  causing  any  issues, hope not anyway.
Wayner, I know you felt they may have been an issue  with the  jacks on  your tuner  so   I was  a bit worried, hopefully  I won't have the sam issue

Quick internatiional (Canada) delivery  and inexpensive shipping too  :thumb:

-jay

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2013, 08:48 pm »
They did damage my Onkyo T4555 tuner's out jacks (IMO), and I have since repaired the wonderful surface board mounted pair (what a pain in the ass). If you have some of these types of connections (usually found on lesser expensive CD players, tuners, etc., I might suggest that you find a way to tie the cables up to take the stress off of the connector(s). Otherwise, with other types of high end connectors, they probably are fine.

Wayner

jimmyp11

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2013, 08:05 pm »
Try these guys also

http://www.knukonceptz.com/

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2013, 09:08 pm »
In a commercial interconnect cable, I like Wireworld Luna 7's, which are about $40 for 1M.  FL / USA made!

The Liberty Cable Z500 interconnect is also still available, which is really well made, but a bit on the more warmer / opaque side for my taste.  Only $25 for a 3M set (RCA or XLR).  One of these days would be curious to try the Z400, which are even cheaper @ $9.40 for a 4M pair.

http://www.libertycable.com/rb_bargain_searchlist.php?pcode=INTZSE&liname=Interconnects%20-%20Z%20Series&bargain=1&navid=INTZSE

At those prices they are good even just for parts for DIY projects (e.g. the connectors).

kbuzz3

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2013, 09:29 pm »
My two cents are the signal cablw 1s.  Super musical and very inexpensive

WireNut

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jul 2013, 01:32 am »
I use several of Jon Risch's first choice, Belden 89259, very happy with them.

Below is from Jon Risch's Site at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091022105444/http://geocities.com/jonrisch/i1.htm

As for a line level interconnect, I recommend Belden #89259
as my first choice.  It is of a coaxial construction, with bare
copper braid and shield coverage of 95%, an insulator of foamed
Teflon around a 22 Ga. stranded bare copper wire, and an outer
jacket of black tint solid Teflon.  Capacitance is a low 17.3 pF/ft,
which is almost half the capacitance of common interconnect cables.
It is superior sonically to many of the expensive/high-end cables
sold for hundreds of dollars, and can be terminated with your choice
of RCA plug, anything from the nickel plated Switchcraft RCA to the
Cardas/Kimber/Tiffany RCA's.  It is good enough to be worth using
the finest plugs.  Available in 100 ($100) and 1000 ($950) foot
spools.

2nd choice:  Belden #82259 Same as above except with a Flamarrest
jacket.  May be more flexible than the above, have not handled a
sample.  Available only in 1000 foot spools ($750).

3rd Choice:  Belden 1506A, a foamed teflon coax with a solid center
wire of 20 gauge copper, but has a tinned copper braid with foil
shield.  While this is one of the best commercial option for use as a
digital interconnect, it is also a decent analog interconnect.  Not quite as
clear as the 89259 for analog use.

Ilkatze

« Reply #35 on: 13 Jul 2013, 04:54 am »
I'm chiming in much later than the original post date, but I would like to echo the recommendations of the BJC LC-1 cable.

The wire is top-flight, and for me, the connectors have not presented any issue.  Wayner is reasonable, though, in his recommendation of a strain relief of some sort when a component's RCA jacks may be compromised by heft from a cable and or a connector.

wushuliu

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jul 2013, 11:40 pm »
Just make your own. It's so ridiculously easy and you can use as fancy as you want wire at a fraction of the cost of boutique. Solder iron are cheap, solder is cheap, connectors are cheap (or not depending on reference). It's fun and so simple.

Also Blue Jeans cable=ick. Was not impressed with their stuff. Sounds terrible.

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jul 2013, 01:27 am »
Just make your own. It's so ridiculously easy and you can use as fancy as you want wire at a fraction of the cost of boutique. Solder iron are cheap, solder is cheap, connectors are cheap (or not depending on reference). It's fun and so simple.

Also Blue Jeans cable=ick. Was not impressed with their stuff. Sounds terrible.

I have been  happy  with mine,  mind you   I  haven't heard many others to  compare to..  There seems to be  plenty of others  who seem   pleased with them... only real complaint/concern I've heard is what Wayner pointed out   regarding the weight of the  connectors  and how it could possibly casue  damage depending on how the  input /output jacks are mounted   
Might have to try building a pair one of these days  just  to compare

-jay     

guildenstern

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2013, 08:55 pm »
I see one "ick" for Blue Jeans Cable, and a lot more positive recommendations -- to which I'll add one more thumbs up. I tried cables from Mogami and Redco, both decent, but the Blue Jeans interconnects are really well built, reasonably priced, and do no apparent harm, which is about all you can ask of a cable. They seem neutral -- not warm, bright, liquid, etc etc -- just doing the job of passing along the signal. I like the LC-1 unbalanced cables a little better than their XLR balanced cables. I can also recommend their digital cables -- very cheap and cheerful indeed!

persisting1

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jul 2013, 01:15 am »
I've only heard their speaker cables, but I'm sure a pair of used Anti-Cables interconnects are C&C.

Not sure if used has been brought up.